Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 332798 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2013
« Reply #800 on: September 18, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Considering how Capcom handled Resident Evil 6 I do not feel sorry for them (except the employees).
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »
It's rather funny how all of Capcom's problems are do to them becoming obsessed with making their games more Western, when many of Capcom's series were already very popular in the West.  Hell, most Western third person shooters this last gen were inspired by Resident Evil 4.  Or the fact Devil May Cry 4 was the best selling game in the series with 2.7 million copies but they decide to completely reboot the series just because the God of War series sold better.

Capcom is the perfect example of a company that was just fine the way they were, only to ruin themselves by trying to change to fix a problem they never had in the first place.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »
Megaman is a concept that didn't take to 3D well.
And yet people still want Legends 3. Capcom is still pretending no one likes Mega Man. Maybe they'll change their minds when Super Smash Bros. comes out.

The smartest thing Capcom has done lately is develop Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS. I'm a little curious why they haven't shifted more development to the platform. 3DS sells well everywhere, including Japan, and it would allow them to lower budgets while reaching a very large audience. Continuing on the path of HD development with games like Dead Rising 3 and Deep Down when that already didn't work out seems like a bad move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »
I can guarantee Capcom atleast 1 sale of an Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 U Edition.

I really want a MvC game on my Wii U Capcom. That could have been profit maker for you, I told you this at E3 but you didn't want to listen. You missed out on all the Wii money Capcom by ignoring us with all those games that "weren't possible on Wii" or "didn't fit the (supposed) demographic" or "didn't have a unique way to utilize the wiimote".

It's your own fault, and many others too, and even though we've been shouting this too you for the past 5+ years, hind sight is 20/20 and it's too late to go back and do it right.

But please, just do 2 things before you go.

1. Sell Megaman to Nintendo - you weren't doing anything with him anyway.
2. Get me the Ultimate MvC3 U we talked about at E3.

thanks.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
The only franchise of Capcom's that really needed to be westernized imo was Monster Hnter and Capcom did a good job of that with Dragon's Dogma.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 19, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
Well if Capcom does poor enough Nintendo can buy them and flip them. Sega and Nintendo relationship has been close lately. one day :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #806 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
Nintendo buying Sega AND Capcom is every Nintendo fanboy's pipe dream right now.

Maybe in an ideal world.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
Marvel Vs Nintendo? Super Smash Marvel?

Disney owns Marvel so this could get very complicated or awesome really fast.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 20, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Mario vs Ryu vs Hulk vs Darth Vader vs Kermit the Frog vs Uncle Scrooge vs...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #809 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:48 PM »
I can guarantee Capcom atleast 1 sale of an Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 U Edition.

Make that two guaranteed sales.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 18, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Time to update that list again, Irrational Games is shutting down.  This was the studio that made Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite for anyone who didn't know.

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

Yep, the traditional gaming industry is still healthy and with the PS4/One raising cost even more, it'll only get healthier.  :)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2014
« Reply #811 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
That is pretty messed up. I heard they were a little under expectations in regards to Infinite, but that one ball was enough to sink them? AAA is real healthy alright.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
Yo Nintendo get shopping now

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #813 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
That is pretty messed up. I heard they were a little under expectations in regards to Infinite, but that one ball was enough to sink them? AAA is real healthy alright.

When you have a team that is made up of 100-200 people, and they take five or more years to make a game, even one that gets four million sales in four months, there's an issue here. Paying a salary all those years, marketing, etc. It adds up. Apparently it added up to much more than what Take Two made from Infinite's sales.

EDIT: Anyway, I agree with you. The AAA business model is unsustainable, and has been for quite a while now.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 18, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
The higher development costs all around are unsustainable, not just for AAA games.

I really do think the cheaply priced, dedicated, fast (load times) console would be a success. Not only with customers, but with developers who want to make full console experiences.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
Hopefully some of the terminated staff will drift down to Texas were Retro Studios has been posting want ads.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 18, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
These guys made two of the most well regarded games of the last generation and now they're kaputz.  That sucks.  I never ever want to see a company fail for making something GOOD.

What model is sustainable?  Probably shitty free-to-play microtransaction scams.  It ain't like Nintendo's "one gen behind" approach is working anymore.  And how would the market tolerate scaling things back?  To really be cost effective we probably need a Wii/Gamecube/3DS level of hardware but we've had over 8 years of "HD games".  There are gamers now that have never known anything but.  So how do you put that genie back in the bottle?  How do you suddenly cut off games like Bioshock Infinite?  We had those games.  We played them.  Now we have to accept something that comes across as scaled back and out-of-date?  I can't see the market accepting that.  HD is now the expected standard and as long as games like Call of Duty can still make money, as long as ANYBODY can make money, with that formula that's where the bar is set and everything else loses market potential in comparison.

25 years ago it would have been cheaper to make an Atari 2600 style game but it wouldn't be accepted in comparison to the much more advanced NES games that were available.  But that was okay because it was affordable to make an NES game.  Until last gen everybody could afford to push a console's hardware so that became the expected practice.  Games constantly became prettier and bigger and more ambitious.  So that's what the consumer has come to expect.  So what now?  Did we peak and now have to scale back?  That's new territory for the gaming market.  Would it be accepted?  And I don't think it possibly could until literally no one could afford to make such games so that they are effectively banned because is anyone can do it they'll have a huge advantage over everyone else.  Their games would be like NES games competing against Atari.  Everyone knows this so they won't scale back and give the other guy that advantage.

A crash is probably due which I fear would move everything to cellphones and effectively kill the gaming industry as we knew it.  I don't mean the current HD industry but the one from the NES onwards, maybe even from the very beginning.  But assuming we survive and everyone scales back, this last gen would be so bizarre because it would have these incredibly expensive and elaborate classic games that would come across as incredibly ambitious and excessive compared to what would be current titles.  Could that even survive?  Why would anyone buy new games that come across as lesser product to retro ones?

I don't think that could happen.  We can't go back.  It would never fly and even if we scaled back for a time someone would look at these grand retro titles and get the idea to match or top them and then we're right back in it.  This is either the future standard or the whole thing is wiped out for good.  You cannot uninvent the HD era.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 18, 2014, 08:41:32 PM »
Despite the financial success of the PS4, Sony's fate is still up in the air. They are still hemorrhaging money right now. I read an article that gave them a 78% chance of going bankrupt. It is really indicative of the health of the industry when a company like Sony is hurting. By the time the PS5 is released Sony will be answering to a mother company. Who ever that is is debatable?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 18, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
This situation reminds me of something relating back to House of Lies last night.

The Term "Hood Rich".
When someone from the hood/ghetto get rich quick and spends uncontrollably to obtain all the ridiculous **** you see in music videos and movies and are unable to leave "the hood" behind. The reason why "Hood Rich" people usually end up back in the hood is that they don't realize how much it cost to maintain all the things they just spent their riches obtaining.

How this relates to the gaming industry, is we all of sudden got Sony (& MS) the tech giant pushing all these new and expensive technologies into the consoles (the loss leader approach), the developers get their taste of dedicated performance and want to continue to push the envelope as their games are looking nicer, and they have so much more freedoms in design and scope. They get all these ambitious ideas that require more and more expensive technology, to which Sony (& MS) are happy to provide (regardless of how much it is actually costing them in the short term). What they don't realize is that by the time they have created what they originally envisioned 3-4 years ago, they have spent millions on staff, millions more on marketing, and are way over what their intended budget was.
Let's say the game does well enough to get sequels, well now the bar has been set, expectations have been raised and you need something that looks as good, plays as well and is even bigger to follow it up.... problem is, that just took you years to accomplish.
The studio next to you is trying to out do you and they are going way over budget to achieve such visual clarity,depth, detail. The next studio over get ignore because their game doesn't look anywhere near that level visually, regardless of if the game is actually any good or better.

The point is, that it's nice to want nice things, but you don't always need them to get the job done.
Games have become so complex and expensive due to the technological push, that they have to make blockbuster numbers to get decent returns on every game made. and as much as a developer loves to work on the most modern setup available, it all comes at a cost that was previously overlooked until it was staring them in the face.
that price at this point is increased dev time, which leads to increased dev cost, which means bigger budgets (for more people) and bigger sales targets to break even.
It's that hidden cost that is killing everyone. More Detail = More Time = More Money

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
Despite the financial success of the PS4, Sony's fate is still up in the air. They are still hemorrhaging money right now. I read an article that gave them a 78% chance of going bankrupt. It is really indicative of the health of the industry when a company like Sony is hurting. By the time the PS5 is released Sony will be answering to a mother company. Who ever that is is debatable?

no offense, but we need sources.
my main interest is will Sony spin off their movie Division before filing, or will Disney be able to get that Spiderman franchise back in a bankruptcy sale or something.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #820 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »
Is it just me, or does that statement Irrational put out make Levine sound like a real see you next Tuesday?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »

my main interest is will Sony spin off their movie Division before filing, or will Disney be able to get that Spiderman franchise back in a bankruptcy sale or something.

I can not post links anymore due to my low karma. My word will have to be taken at face value. Disney will eventually gobble up the film rights to all of their Marvel IPs sooner or later.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »

I can not post links anymore due to my low karma. My word will have to be taken at face value. Disney will eventually gobble up the film rights to all of their Marvel IPs sooner or later.

HAHAHA are you serious?

low karma = no posting of links? that's hilarious.

and sadly, no, I think Fox will keep X-Men forever just as Sony will hold onto Spider-Man with their last dying breath...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
Is it just me, or does that statement Irrational put out make Levine sound like a real see you next Tuesday?

Isn't it though?
They are closing down Irrational, but he and 14/15 others are staying on @ 2k Games to work as a "new" smaller studio.... focused on games for core gamers with a more replayable narrative.

Sounds like he lost his dream due to selling out his studio to a bigger one, but his golden parachute was to hand select a few and start a new. I guess not all was lost... even if he lost his baby (Bioshock).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:38 AM »
I can't say I'm sad to see Irrational go. Bioshock Infinite sucked. I just feel sorry for all the artists and programmers who lost their jobs because Ken Levine put out an incredibly poorly-designed and focus grouped-to-hell, generic shooter.

Seriously, I lost all respect for Levine when he took Elizabeth off the cover because he was afraid stereotypical "dude bro" shooter fans wouldn't buy an FPS with a woman on the cover.  That certainly didn't stop Naughty Dog from putting out The Last of Us with Ellie on the cover, which went on to both high sales and general consensus GotY acclaim.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:20:56 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.