Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 331317 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2012
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
Remember tendoboy, game systems have to be able to render the graphics in real time whereas with movies, each frame can take hours and hours to render but once it is rendered, processing power never has to be used on it again.  I don't think even the top supercomputers in the world could render Uncharted in real time with Brave's graphics level but with all the AI and physics and all the other effects thrown in.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
One thing that no one is discussing is the fact that the film and game industries are rival entertainment groups. One tries to take money from the other. From what I understand the growth in gaming has taken some money away from the film industry, so I do not see them working together.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »
This creepy and insane game studio CEO keeps digging his own grave. I wonder if this sort of **** goes on in many other companies?

http://kotaku.com/5940401/pc-gaming-studio-said-she-ruined-their-game-but-only-after-she-sued-the-boss-for-sexual-harassment

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
This creepy and insane game studio CEO keeps digging his own grave. I wonder if this sort of **** goes on in many other companies?

http://kotaku.com/5940401/pc-gaming-studio-said-she-ruined-their-game-but-only-after-she-sued-the-boss-for-sexual-harassment

Hopefully her boss gets sent to prison, and then he can experience sexual harrassment on the receiving end.... in the showers.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 07, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

While I will try not to jump to any conclusions until both cases are final, the evidence listed there seems to point to her being in the right and him trying to find a way to get back at her, especially his response letter (written on a message board).  Plus he admitted to be a sexist, so it pretty much furthers her case.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
He keeps posting on his twitter and elsewhere, too. He's probably going to be murdered by his own lawyer.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
He keeps posting on his twitter and elsewhere, too. He's probably going to be murdered by his own lawyer.

Yessir! If I were his attorney, I'd do everything I could to take away his posting privilege. Maybe stick a literal muzzle on him for the next year or so, just to be safe.

But since I'm not, I'm cool with the man digging his way deeper and deeper into liability.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
One thing that no one is discussing is the fact that the film and game industries are rival entertainment groups. One tries to take money from the other. From what I understand the growth in gaming has taken some money away from the film industry, so I do not see them working together.

But they have worked together in the past. Remember the video game adaptations of Peter Jackson's King Kong and Lord of the Rings movies?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 10, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »

But they have worked together in the past. Remember the video game adaptations of Peter Jackson's King Kong and Lord of the Rings movies?
PJ got money from those games.  I think Kytim is talking about non-licensed games.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #634 on: September 10, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
Steven Spielberg was heavily involved in creating Boom Blox and is well known as being a video game fan for at least the last 30 years.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »
The statement that they compete is kind of too broad anyways.  Yes, they are different entertainment services fighting for your dollars.  But they are also competing with sports and TV and parks and every other form of entertainment.  Sometimes, those mediums cross over like with movie licensed games and sports games.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #636 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
THQ announced that they are shutting down their Australian distribution office THQ Australia, resulting in the loss of 18 jobs. THQ will instead have All Interactive Entertainment distribute their games in Australia.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-10-report-thq-australia-to-close?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 10, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
THQ announced that they are shutting down their Australian distribution office THQ Australia, resulting in the loss of 18 jobs. THQ will instead have All Interactive Entertainment distribute their games in Australia.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-10-report-thq-australia-to-close?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

I do not think that THQ will be around for another year despite the record sales od Darksiders 2. They may have already crossed the rubicon in terms of finances, so they will either file for bankruptcy, or be bought out by some other company for its IPs.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #638 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
THQ has been getting better in the last few months, and they should get better now that they are moving away from licensed games and focusing on original IPs/

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

I do not think that THQ will be around for another year despite the record sales od Darksiders 2.

WHAT "record sales"? IIRC, it sold about 247,000 copies in its first month, which is good but nothing compared to what THQ needed it to do.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #640 on: October 10, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
To be fair, that 247K copies was for only 1 week since it came out at the end of the month and only counted for 1 week of NPD sales. So 247K in one week is really good for a August release.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 10, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
To be fair, that 247K copies was for only 1 week since it came out at the end of the month and only counted for 1 week of NPD sales. So 247K in one week is really good for a August release.

And hence the words "record sales." What I meant by this is that it will not be enough in the longterm to stem the fall of THQ. I do not see them exsisting in their current form by this time next year.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
Mega Man is pretty much dead now. Maybe Capcom will revive him like SEGA did with Sonic? Aside from the amazing Mega Man 9 and 10, Capcom hasn't done much with the Blue Bomber in the past few years.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 10, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
Mega Man is pretty much dead now. Maybe Capcom will revive him like SEGA did with Sonic? Aside from the amazing Mega Man 9 and 10, Capcom hasn't done much with the Blue Bomber in the past few years.

Capcom witnessed deminishing returns on their investments into the Megaman franchies, so they pulled the axe on it for a period of time.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 10, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
THQ has been getting better in the last few months, and they should get better now that they are moving away from licensed games and focusing on original IPs/

I would think that the other way around would be more profitable in today's environment, no?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »

Capcom witnessed deminishing returns on their investments into the Megaman franchies, so they pulled the axe on it for a period of time.

I think they don't really know what to do with it. When's the last time Capcom made a "colorful" console game? Zack and Wiki? I'm thinking that if they tried to make another 3D console Megaman it would end up like Bomberman Zero given the direction Capcom has been blundering in.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 12, 2012, 03:52:46 AM »

I think they don't really know what to do with it. When's the last time Capcom made a "colorful" console game? Zack and Wiki? I'm thinking that if they tried to make another 3D console Megaman it would end up like Bomberman Zero given the direction Capcom has been blundering in.

I'm surprised that Capcom never really brought the series into 3D aside from the Mega Man Legends spinoffs. A proper Mega Man game in 3D, complete with Robot Masters (or Reploids), spike pits, disappearing blocks, and hard-as-hell difficulty would be amazing.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »

I'm surprised that Capcom never really brought the series into 3D aside from the Mega Man Legends spinoffs. A proper Mega Man game in 3D, complete with Robot Masters (or Reploids), spike pits, disappearing blocks, and hard-as-hell difficulty would be amazing.

I would love to see a Megaman X game done in the style of Metroid: Other M. Take out the pixel hunts and replace the dialog scenes with animated videos and it could be a good game. However, Megaman X would not be allowed to use the powers he gains from the defeated masters until Dr. Light gives him permission. ;)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
Well, this one stings a little for me: Starhawk developer Lightbox Interactive is laying off 24 employees and transitioning to iPhone titles after Sony ended their publishing agreement.

This wasn't unexpected after Sony basically sent Starhawk out to die, but Starhawk is one of the most enjoyable multiplayer games I've played all year so I had hoped the game would have done better.  I wanted to see a sequel, which I suppose could still happen since Sony owns the IP but it's a shame to lose this team.  Starhawk itself will still be supported by Sony's Santa Monica Studios.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:34:28 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »

Well, this one stings a little for me: Starhawk developer Lightbox Interactive is laying off 24 employees and transitioning to iPhone titles after Sony ended their publishing agreement.

This wasn't unexpected after Sony basically sent Starhawk out to die, but Starhawk is one of the most enjoyable multiplayer games I've played all year so I had hoped the game would have done better.  I wanted to see a sequel, which I suppose could still happen since Sony owns the IP but it's a shame to lose this team.  Starhawk itself will still be supported by Sony's Santa Monica Studios.

Wow, that's certainly a dickish thing of Sony to do. Sony basically left Lightbox for dead, and now the developer has to limit themselves to making mobile games just to survive? What a tragedy.