Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 331301 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
@broodwars: Why do you take my comments seriously?

Because Internet is Serious Business.

I thought you knew?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
Breaking the system is the best course of action.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Podings

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2010, 05:49:27 AM »
Sad to see how hard the economic situation is hitting games.

And how hard bad management is hitting games.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:52:16 AM by Podings »
I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
the version of iron man the game i played was terrible, controls were total ****.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Sad to see how hard the economic situation is hitting games.

And how hard bad management is hitting games.
Giant egos AND bad management.

It makes good entertainment in a sick twisted way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
Activision/Infinity Ward: The Firing part 5: The Conclusion?

This is a good one, Jason West and Vince Zampanella from IW, the guys who left EA to form their own company, were bought out by Actvision and then were fired from that company they started, Have now been signed back on at EA(for exclusive publishing rights).

But get this, their new company name is.... Respawn Entertainment

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Jason West and Vince Zampella, creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty® franchise, announced the formation of a new development studio -- Respawn Entertainment. The move positions the Respawn Entertainment leadership team as the owners of the intellectual property they create. The company will focus on creating state-of-the-art gaming experiences for global audiences. The studio is currently assembling a world-class team of designers, artists and engineers. Applicants can submit resumes to jobs@respawn.com.

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS - News), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:01:06 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
It's a bizarre world we're living in where EA comes out of this situation looking like the Knight in Shining Armor.  Here's hoping EA lets them create those New IPs they were interested in when they worked at Infinity Ward, but somehow I think the terms of their contract states they'll have to make an FPS first.  :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
Guess: New studio will sink with an overbudget HD game that flops.

Just like the rest of them. =D

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
=D
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
It's a bizarre world we're living in where EA comes out of this situation looking like the Knight in Shining Armor.  Here's hoping EA lets them create those New IPs they were interested in when they worked at Infinity Ward, but somehow I think the terms of their contract states they'll have to make an FPS first.  :-\

Have those guys ever made anything but an FPS? Serious question, mind you. I'm guessing they probably want to take another crack at that genre.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »

Have those guys ever made anything but an FPS? Serious question, mind you. I'm guessing they probably want to take another crack at that genre.

From what we've heard about the whole firing fiasco, those two have been wanting to work on a new IP since finishing the original Modern Warfare.  They had to be bribed with lucrative new contracts and control over the IP to get them to come back to do Modern Warfare 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if EA allows them to work on a new IP if it's as far removed from a typical FPS as possible.  Who knows?  Maybe it would be something like a Timesplitters or Bioshock that's just radically different in style or tone.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
I'm not sure EA has any control over what they make or not. EA is signed on as exclusive publisher through the EA Partners Program, and I have no idea if that gives EA the right to dictate project direction or genre as much as 1st refusal rights on any project that they have for publishing.

Ofcourse there is still a chance that they could wrestle the Modern Warfare name away from Activision since the whole "subordination" was based around who controls what and who promised who what.

So Respawned Ent.'s first game under EA could be Modern Warfare: Future Soldier or something along those lines.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
CALL OF WARFARE : MODERN DUTIES

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
Activision/Infinity Ward: The Firing part 5: The Conclusion?

This is a good one, Jason West and Vince Zampanella from IW, the guys who left EA to form their own company, were bought out by Actvision and then were fired from that company they started, Have now been signed back on at EA(for exclusive publishing rights).

But get this, their new company name is.... Respawn Entertainment

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Jason West and Vince Zampella, creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty® franchise, announced the formation of a new development studio -- Respawn Entertainment. The move positions the Respawn Entertainment leadership team as the owners of the intellectual property they create. The company will focus on creating state-of-the-art gaming experiences for global audiences. The studio is currently assembling a world-class team of designers, artists and engineers. Applicants can submit resumes to jobs@respawn.com.

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS - News), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).

another place to apply :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:14 PM »
Don't Perm! If their massive HD product flops, you'd be out of the job!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »

Do you ever have anything nice to say about a non-Nintendo product?  Your incessant trolling it starting to wear thin.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »

Do you ever have anything nice to say about a non-Nintendo product?  Your incessant trolling it starting to wear thin.
Considering what thread I'm posting in, and looking at the first opening post, how can I troll when I'm making a fact?

fine, I guess I will stop. guess the internet is serious business

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
Stop trying to be Pro. You're not good enough at it to pull it off; it requires a really high skill level or else it's just terrible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

From what we've heard about the whole firing fiasco, those two have been wanting to work on a new IP since finishing the original Modern Warfare.  They had to be bribed with lucrative new contracts and control over the IP to get them to come back to do Modern Warfare 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if EA allows them to work on a new IP if it's as far removed from a typical FPS as possible.  Who knows?  Maybe it would be something like a Timesplitters or Bioshock that's just radically different in style or tone.

Gotcha. To be honest, I think they're probably too comfortable with their current style of game, so I doubt their new project will be too dissimilar to Call of Duty; even though it will be a new IP, I still expect the familiar military-based, story-driven, scripted-events heavy single-player campaign (albeit with a new setting) rather than anything entirely new. But hey, I could be wrong!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
What did they make when they left EA because they were sick of making Medal of Honor? Call of Duty.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
Quite a few employees have left IW since this whole thing started too. I don't remember if I posted about any of them, but I bet most of them land at the new company Respawn Ent.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1083234p1.html

Here is the headcount so far
  • Jason West -- President, Game Director (fired)
  • Vince   Zampella -- CEO, Co-Founder (fired)
  • Francesco Gigliotti   -- Lead Software Engineer
  • Chris Cherubini -- Lead Artist
  • Bruce   Ferriz -- Senior Animator (joined a start-up, Big Red Button Entertainment)
  • Todd   Alderman -- Lead Designer
  • Mackey McCandlish -- Lead   Designer
  • Steve Fukuda -- Lead Designer
  • Zied   Reike -- Lead Designer
  • Rayme Vinson -- Programmer
  • Jon   Shiring -- Programmer
Gotta wonder if the next IW game will hold up to what their past games have accomplished (whatever that may be).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:57:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
Oh another thing EA is going to take a backseat with this whole thing and let Respawn Entertainment do what they want. They aren't going to be control freaks.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:16 PM »
Respawn in their own company. EA does not control them.
Respawn will be part of the EA Partners Program like Valve who had EA publish Black/Orange Box on the HD consoles. All EA has is exclusive Publishing rights, which likely means they likely get 1st refusal rights and maybe slight quality/feature control of the final product, but they don't get to choose the project or the direction of development.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
Wasn't Orange Box not made by Valve though? I heard it suffered from quality control problems.