Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537753 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6275 on: November 01, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
I probably should watch it one day.  I've heard decent things about them.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: November 01, 2019, 10:35:39 AM »
Wait, what? Am I the only one who never got this reference? I mean, I remember that scene. I just never put the two together.

It's very subtle - It's not like Uncle Bob couldn't mean a million different things.  You'd need to know my affinity for the movie to ever make the connection.

On the other hand, maybe I just really, really liked Con Air...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHOhfPeO4s
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:37:45 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6277 on: November 03, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
I'm a huge Terminator fan (thus the nickname).

Wait, what? Am I the only one who never got this reference? I mean, I remember that scene. I just never put the two together.

I'm also shocked at the revelation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: November 10, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »
Midway - I hope BNM/nickmitch understands where i come from when i say this.. but some movies feel better in context with paired with a loosely related movie or concept.

The Need for Speed movie makes more sense when you consider it to be a Burnout movie instead. First Man makes more sense when paired with Hidden Figures, because you then get an idea of what we didn't see.

Watch Red Tails (or at least become familiar with the story) with Midway.

Because while this is a very hollywood take on what happened there, there was so many tropes portrayed that began to annoy me by the end: pilot with no fear of death but then suddenly loses his resolve, officer who nobody believes ends up being right, female characters literally sidelined only to hangout with other sidelined female characters worrying about their husbands and more subtle production-related ones like zero non-white people seen in the entire movie. Ignoring the Japanese cast (who were obviously required given the plot), i think i saw only one black person in the entire film - from the back of the head with no speaking lines. In 2019 things like that stand out really clearly.

Otherwise its a good movie to put on and not pay attention to.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:21:35 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6279 on: November 10, 2019, 05:43:07 PM »
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.  That sounds pretty disappointing about Midway.  A lot of people (myself included) often think people of color weren't involved in certain historical events because representations of the history (TV, film) often exclude POC.  In 2019, that's pretty disappointing for a historical film.

I own the blu-ray of Red Tails, but never got around watching it.  I'm familiar with the story, however. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: November 10, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
Joker was amazing.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: November 16, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
In light of the new (and apparently quite good) Star Wars game coming out, I decided to finally check out Rogue One. A year or so back, I commented on how much I dislike The Force Awakens, and someone (Adrock, I think) commented that I would probably like Rogue One. Well, I've now seen it and...yeah, I actually do quite like it.

Something I find somewhat curious about this film is that the big thing I always heard about this movie over the years was that it was "Pandering: the Movie." Yeah, I can definitely see that with a few things like the blink & you'll miss them cameos by the "You'll be Dead" Guys; Artoo & Threepio (seriously, what the **** were they doing on Yavin 4?); and the entirety of CG Tarkin & CG Leia.  Still, other than that I really didn't see anything particularly eggregious. Characters, ships, & factions were pretty much where you would expect them to be at this point in the timeline, so their appearance in this film was pretty fitting.

What I like about this film is that it doesn't pull it punches, something I had serious issues with in both the Clone Wars & Rebels animated series, shows that were supposed to take place during violent warfare. If a character should die during a particular sequence, they generally do and usually not in a particularly heroic way. The film also has easily the best vehicular battle sequence (counting the planet & the surrounding space) since Return of the Jedi, and that is quite the high water mark.

And yes, everything about that final sequence with Vader was fucking awesome. But you knew that already.

I really only had a few issues with the film:

1. The really shitty editing of the 1st half of the film, where there's a LOT of jumping around from planet to planet without really establishing anything. The battle sequences in that part of the film are also very confusingly shot so it's not entirely clear what's going on and where characters are in relation to one another.

2. The entire existence of CG Tarkin & CG Leia. I agree with the comparison that Tarkin looked like he'd stepped out of that CG Jim Carrey Christmas Carol movie, with a very rubbery face and gigantic nose. Leia looked like a bobblehead after a few seconds.

3. Diego Luna's acting as Cassian Andor: I've seen a lot of complaints about the acting in general in Rogue One, but for the most part I thought it was fine for the kind of movie this was. The one actor I can't excuse is Diego Luna as Cassian. He spends 9/10 of the movie staring out blankly into the middle distance, and good god is he **** at it. Yeah, the guy playing "The Pilot" does a lot of that, too, but he actually manages to convey expression while he's doing it. There's an actual performance there.

I could nitpick & complain about all sorts of little issues throughout the film (like the entire existence of the U-Wings, considering the Rebels never use them again after Rogue One, or WHAT THE HELL WAS EVEN THE POINT OF THE GIANT MINDREADING SQUID), but overall that was a solid film and probably the lone good Disney Star Wars film.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: November 16, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
Blood Harvest (1987) 5.8/10 I liked Tiny Tim in this, and Jesus is Itonia Salcheck hot, but this is a pretty bad movie. The music is catchy though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:09:17 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: November 22, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »
Frozen 2 - not as good as the first IMO

I don't remember the first movie breaking out into song every 2.5 minutes, but I could be mistaken. I haven't watched it in a long time. None of the songs really stuck with me either like "Let it go!" did for the entire world for however long that was. I couldn't recite anything from any of the songs tbh.... but that's not even what took me out of this movie.
Now this may seem like a bit of a nitpick, and i'm sure it was done for time (and because it's meant mainly for younger audiences) but there were several large leaps in logic to move the plot quickly in this one. They were all so sudden and just "HEY!! OMG THAT MEANS X", which I guess is fine, but for some reason it stood out to me sooo much the 2-3 times I remember it happening in the movie.

Visually this movie was very nice, and all the kids seemed to really like it, but overall, I'll hold on to the recent nostalgia of the first over the sequel.
I'm also pretty sure there will be a Frozen III or a D+ series sequel announced in the next year or so. LOL

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
I wouldn't expect the sequel to a Disney princess movie to be good. Bad track record.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6285 on: November 22, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
I wouldn't expect the sequel to a Disney princess movie to be good. Bad track record.

Yeah, I think the only good one we've had was...Cinderella 3?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: November 25, 2019, 12:53:42 AM »

I'd argue the Aladdin sequels were good ones. Cinderella 3 earns points more for its bravery to completely shake up the formula and do a time-travelling what-if plot and doing it to an acceptable level, though I wouldn't call it "great".
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: November 25, 2019, 01:00:56 AM »

I'd argue the Aladdin sequels were good ones. Cinderella 3 earns points more for its bravery to completely shake up the formula and do a time-travelling what-if plot and doing it to an acceptable level, though I wouldn't call it "great".

While Aladdin has a Disney princess it focuses on a Disney prince/king/sultan. But...this talk makes me want a Jasmine's Adventure movie.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6288 on: November 25, 2019, 01:03:23 AM »
Aladdin is the Princess in his movie.  But yes, those are the good sequels.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: November 25, 2019, 01:22:33 AM »

I'd argue the Aladdin sequels were good ones.

I'd argue that Return of Jafar is trash, but King of Thieves is good. I have a hard time thinking of Aladdin as a "Disney Princess Film", though, especially since King of Thieves was also the series finale to the animated series, where Jasmine had a much more prominent role.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: November 25, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »
Heh, I totally missed the "princess" clarification. And yeah, when I think about it more, I do give Return of Jafar a bit of a pass because of its connection to the TV series and King of Thieves how the films perfectly bookend the show.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: November 25, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
The TV series spinoffs are great though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: December 23, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

[I’ll post general, mostly non-spoilery thoughts here then more of the granular Star Wars discussion in the dedicated thread]

It’s fine. I think I need to let it sit in for a while. I remember saying the Game of Thrones finale was fine then after I had a chance to really think about it, I started to see its warts more clearly. That entire last season was such a flustercuck that I was almost conditioned to think the finale was passable. It’s possible the same may happen with The Rise of Skywalker.

As the end of a trilogy, it kind of works. The Resistance defeats The First Order, good triumphs over evil etc. etc. Some of the character arcs are okay, some are a mess in that they flat-out don’t make sense and/or felt rushed or unearned. Using cut footage and B-roll of Carrie Fisher worked about as well as it could. I expected worse.

As the end of a trilogy of trilogies, it succeeds in some ways but mostly stumbles. It’s hard to stick the landing when the filmmakers spend so much time aggressively, almost maliciously retconning certain events of previous films.

On its own, it’s okay though The Rise of Skywalker cannot be watched as a stand-alone movie. Not terrible, but the exposition could have been tightened up. Instead it leans into lore almost to the point where even I, someone who has seen all the films, had to make mental notes and google things later. The movie drops too many names, terms, and references to make any sense without some knowledge of what happened before. I suppose most people would not be watching this without having seen at least a couple of the main saga.

The Rise of Skywalker does noticeably make basic storytelling and filmmaking mistakes. There’s a scene in which a particular character “dies” then is shown to be alive in the very next scene. A couple minutes later, there’s a “[Character] is still alive. We have to save [character]” moment. The previous scene could have been nixed entirely. That would be problematic editing in any movie.

Ultimately, I mostly liked The Rise of Skywalker, for now at least. It had some good moments, some bad moments. I don’t want to hand wave away everything I didn’t like as you-can’t-please-everyone because some things are subpar storytelling and/or filmmaking. I enjoyed The Last Jedi, and I didn’t necessarily get what I wanted after that film (I should note that I didn’t get what I wanted from The Last Jedi either). I’ll delve into that in the other thread.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:22:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: December 23, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
The Rise of Skywalker - 7.9/10

The Chewie thing. I expected that wasn't the right transport ship. The reason for the scene though is to demonstrate her accidentally using the force and how it might lead her to the dark side. It made sense. It could have been written differently. They shouldn't have used Chewie as a pawn for emotions. It should have been a low stakes character we just met. Like instead of her healing a snake it should have been like a Wompa type thing, but then that thing gets captured. Then it gets blown up and is for real dead. Or maybe those alien children she met at the celebration get rounded up by the empire and whoops they get blown up. Yay Chewie was alive! He didn't get a punk death. No remorse for those other people on the transport though

I think the movie was fine. It just wasn't fantastic. I'd rank it with Attack of the Clones.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:11:45 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: December 28, 2019, 06:33:18 AM »
6 Underground

New Netflix Ryan Reynolds movie directed by Michael Bay. This was quite entertaining as RR gets to be himself and there was tons of action. Story seemed a bit all over the place as they kinda time skipped around the story a bit and I had to watch it in 2 parts as I started it late at night, but I enjoyed it. It was fun for what it was, and the RR humor was pretty on point.

Spies in Disguise

Wow..... pleasantly surprised by this one. Will Smith in FULL Will Smith mode, but it fit the character  he was playing. I totally forgot that Tom Holland was the other main character, but after someone told me, I was surprised I didn't recognize his voice. But this movie was actually funny, it thought they showed it all in the previews, and a lot of it they did, but some were still funny once put into context. A few quick moments that were a little dark for some younger kids, but they passed fairly quickly and probably went unnoticed. But I actually enjoyed this one, and since it was done by Blue Sky studios.... I'm expecting either a sequel, or a follow up series on D+

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: December 29, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
Joker - 9.5/10
Very much a contender for best movie of the year, versus Avengers Endgame. Not sure what to say without spoiling anything...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: December 29, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
I have yet to watch... I need to move that up on my list of things to watch asap.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: January 05, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
Jumanji 2

Honestly, it was entertaining, just not as funny as I thought it would be going in. The Rock wasn't quite capturing the Danny Devito I wanted, and Kevin Hart didn't really capture Danny Glover at all imo. There was so much potential in the concept, but I just think it wasn't executed nearly as well as I had pictured it in my head going in. I imagine a "ghostly overlay" may have helped bring it back to who they were attempting to portray, but that might not've worked out well either.

Alita: Battle Angel

Damn, I actually got into this one, and now I see why everyone was clamoring for a sequel to this movie.... mostly because they end it as if there was a continuation to the story, as it was left rather unresolved. The main bad guy was still there, the main mission was still uncompleted, and she ends the movie directly calling him out through gesture of "I'm coming for you" in the battle arena. Ultimate cliff hanger, and now they are obligated to tell the other half of this story. I promise to watch it in a more timely manner this time... possibly even in the theater.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: January 06, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »
The Rise of Skywalker - 7.9/10

I think the movie was fine. It just wasn't fantastic. I'd rank it with Attack of the Clones.

Attack of the Clones: 7.9/10. Yeah, nah.

Does anybody actually rate movies on  a 0 - 10 scale?

Jumanji 2

Honestly, it was entertaining, just not as funny as I thought it would be going in. The Rock wasn't quite capturing the Danny Devito I wanted, and Kevin Hart didn't really capture Danny Glover at all imo. There was so much potential in the concept, but I just think it wasn't executed nearly as well as I had pictured it in my head going in. I imagine a "ghostly overlay" may have helped bring it back to who they were attempting to portray, but that might not've worked out well either.

The Rock isn't that great of an actor so doing Devito is asking a lot from him. He is better than Sam Worthington and his ilk but that is faint praise.

He worked in nu-Jumanji because he was just playing himself again but excited looking based on a character/actor we don't know.

In light of the new (and apparently quite good) Star Wars game coming out, I decided to finally check out Rogue One. A year or so back, I commented on how much I dislike The Force Awakens, and someone (Adrock, I think) commented that I would probably like Rogue One. Well, I've now seen it and...yeah, I actually do quite like it.

but overall that was a solid film and probably the lone good Disney Star Wars film.

I works out better if you completely ignore the first 2/3 viewing it as a short film. The first 2/3 really there to give the DS a backstory which is why??. It's almost like it was all reshoots. There are stark visual differences and change in style that scream it even if you didn't know the BTS issues. Krennic being middle management trying to climb the corporate ladder getting cold blocked by everyone is funny; dad joke aside. ughh, it took away from his what should have been his one and only appearance.

Diego Luna had little to work with along with everyone else. They wasted so much time they didn't build anyone up. Killing everybody isn't an excuse not to (Felicity Jones excluded as if you watch any of her previous work she is beyond limited). It's like they rolled a bunch of RPG characters and not play them. I do like there wasn't a romantic sub-plot by accident or otherwise. They are two people at the end sharing their fate the best they can.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: January 06, 2020, 03:10:12 AM »
Crawl - Wow, now that was intense!!!

First time in a long time where you watch a creature feature where the main characters didn't do a bunch of dumb **** to end up in the situation they were in. Not gonna say they did everything right, or that I wouldn't have made a lot of the same decisions if I were them in that same situation, but damn, was that **** intense.

Now I have no idea how high a tolerance of pain the dad had to be walking around at all, but this daughter is real trooper. I guess once that adrenaline kicks in, theres no time to bleed, ain't no time for pain, and this aint the time to die.

I had heard it was a good one, and I was not let down.
Let's hope they do not make a sequel though. There does not need to be a part 2. lol