Author Topic: Gamecube Wars  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« on: May 10, 2003, 01:58:12 PM »
Intelligent Systems has developed Wars games on every Nintendo console and handheld except the Virtual Boy and Game & Watch.
Do you want a Gamecube Wars? I think I speak for everyone when I say, heck yeah!
Now...what would you want to see in the game? Both the traditional turn-based game and a great new real-time game? Online play? Intuitive map editor? Several campaigns, each following the story of the side of your choice?

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 03:33:43 PM »
"Intelligent Systems has developed Wars games on every Nintendo console and handheld except the Virtual Boy and Game & Watch."

Holy crap, there was an N64 Wars game?!  Was it 3D?  I want details!

I'd love a Cube Wars, but somehow I don't see it happening... Intelligent Systems seems to focus mainly on 2D.  Still, it has promise.  If it's anywhere near as clever and unique as the GBA version, I'd love a GameCube game.

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 03:48:12 PM »
Wasn't that Ogre Battle 64???  Maybe I wrong...which I probably am.
What's that smell?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 04:47:03 PM »
there wa sa wars 64..it came out in n64's late lifespan only in japan.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 05:43:40 PM »
i personally love in advance wars the turnbased battles
i think they add a lot of strategy to the game
if they were to make a gamecube wars, lan play and/or online play would be a must
and i would like more branches to the campaigns especially with new characters and stories
i also love making your own maps
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: Gamecube Wars
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 11:45:59 PM »
I can see the SD adaptor playing a huge part too. Not only could you make your own maps, but with the space of SD cards you could make entire campaigns (A standard for PC strategy games) and take them over to your friends house. You could download new missions or even units (remember Cavedog's one unit a week for Total Annihilation?) onto the SD Card. The possibilities for multiplayer are almost endless. Just put in a quick and easy, but at the same time reliable and filled with options, online interface (Blizzard's Warcraft III should be the major direction to look at), and you could very well have yourself the best online console game to date.

As for N64 Wars...it was only in Japan of course, and it probably wasn't 3D. I don't think Intelligent Systems even knows how to model and program in 3D...The closest they've done is Paper Mario which is not a full 3D game. But hey, EAD can do 3D perfectly fine...Intelligent Systems doesn't have to program the game, they can stick to mission design, balancing, etc.

EDIT: As for online...yeah I don't see this huge dream of mine happening this generation. But an online Wars title with all of the above features could be easily done next time around. Oh...and then there's GBA link-up. Why not put coding on the Cube Wars disc (or whatever Wars, for the next console), that has all the stuff necessary to take Advance Wars 2 or 3 or whatever online. Link up your GBA, with cartridge inside, and then be able to take it online through the Cube Wars menu. Of course, I'm not sure if the GCN/GBA cable can handle that kind of data flow...but hey, maybe next time you could have a built in Game Boy Player, that DOESN'T turn the console into a full GBA when you use it. Retain the console's features, while playing GBA titles at the same time. I think that should be a major selling point for the next console. Take your GBA games online. After all, the thing holding back awesome multiplayer games like Super Circuit and Four Swords is the simple fact that finding 3 other dudes with link cables, GBA's, and cartridges....isn't too fun, or easy.  

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 11:58:57 PM »
Yes GBA needs online. having 4 player smash bros is much easier than 4 player super Circut.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 12:04:54 AM »
Heck, I bought Four Swords back in November and still haven't played the multiplayer once.  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 09:13:18 AM »
I know how you feel Gamefreak.  I know at least two other people that I have immediate access to with GBA's and we've almost never played multiplayer.

The problem is: we all buy games, but we like to buy games the other doesn't have because we can trade out.  I'm sure many of you do the same thing.  Anyway, most of the time for significant multiplayer, you need extra carts, and this tends to get expensive as a group.  It's a minor problem, I guess, but it has kept me from multiplayer on the GBA, for the most part.  Not complaining--it's just how things have gone.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 09:45:58 AM »
Multiplayer portable gaming has hit a few speed-bumps... I mean, I carry a GBA-to-GBA connector on me at all times so that if I'm riding the subway in NYC and I see someone playing a GBA I can go up to them, whip out the cord and say, "Yo, I challenge you to a duel in Advance Wars!!"  Most of the time the challenge is accepted, but now I only do that with the Mario games cause they take a lot less time to play than Advance Wars.

Once Nintendo goes wireless multiplayer for the GBA... oooohhhhh man, that's gonna be heaven for me!
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 10:52:17 AM »
Yeah wireless multiplayer = good.
But I don't think those old un-hip geezers over at R&D2 and R&D3 at NCL even know things like that exist.
And for the love of SNES ports, give us four freaking face buttons.
Oh, and an analog stick would be nice along with the d-pad. You could easily make a short, flat-ish, stick that's recessed into the Game Boy..maybe even have it so you can push it into the GB when you aren't using it. Of course you'd need to clear out a little space. But I'm cool with making Game Boy's a little bigger if it means more buttons and technology.

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
Gamecube Wars
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 11:46:48 AM »
A control stick is possible, Nintendo just needs to find out about it.  I remember the very SNES-like computer controlelr.  Don't recall the name offhand, but it had a screw in controll stick.  And I wouldn't plan on Game Boy's getting any bigger.  I expect them to get like almost paper thin because nintendo wants them as portable as possible.  I would die for wireless, online type multiplayer in the gameboy, seeing as I know no one with one, and hate playing games by myself.    I'm very temped to get an Xbong so I can play something online, but I don't want to pay for it.  I'm spoiled to Quake and Command and Conquer's free play.  :-p
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 12:24:37 PM »
You are talking about the old Gravis pad..But the thing about that is, even if you screwed in the control stick it was still digital. It just gave you the novelty of using a stick.

The closest thing to a digital-and-analog-in-one I've seen is the D-pad on the old Microsoft Sidewinder USB...something somethings. I forgot the name, but they were silver, and on the press of a button it would switch the sluggish, slow-responding, D-pad into a mushy, more sluggish, and even worse "analog D-pad". It sucked of course and defaced the Sidewinder name (the original was an awesome PC gamepad for its time), but hey the idea was there.

I still think a flat-ish, recessed analog stick that you could push into the game boy (hold down a small button or something to push it in) would be the best idea for the next game boy. And 2 more face buttons. There's enough room...