Author Topic: Nintendo Regrets Wii Self-Marketing  (Read 5193 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Nintendo Regrets Wii Self-Marketing
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:07:58 AM »

Iwata believes their handling of marketing led to Wii's drop in performance, and promises future changes.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26160

In their recent investors' conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted that Nintendo shouldn't have marketed the system by themselves. Iwata expressed that "I now regret that we didn't tie up with someone outside the company to market the Wii. If we had done that, the fate of the Wii might be different." Wii sales have declined over over the past two years.

He added, "Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future." Iwata didn't specify which companies they were hoping to approach.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Regrets Wii Self-Marketing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:04 AM »
I dunno how much marketing alone could have helped the Wii's diminishing performance. The lack of games and people getting bored with the waggle gimmick are things that advertising alone really doesn't solve.
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:52:53 AM »
I kind of liked some of the commercials they did (e.g. Metroid Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns) but I guess they weren't the best in getting people who are not enthusiasts to buy Nintendo's new games.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »
pushing the Excite games and Battalion Wars would have helped.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:01:37 AM »
In that same vein, I think bringing back Player's Choice would have helped.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »
Actually, what needs to change are the gamers who buy Nintendo consoles and then only buy 1st party games. This is not Nintendo's fault, its those people. Way too many people on various sites who only want to play Zelda, Mario, Kirby, metroid, etc.

They ignore basically everything that isn't directly from Nintendo. WTF is up with that? Those are the people that hurt the Wii. Nintendo didn't do everything right marketing wise, but the consumer did not help with this bizarre attitude.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:50 AM »
Yes. People should have to buy games they don't want to prop up a system. It's entirely their fault for ignoring the stellar lineup of third party software available for the Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:58 AM »
They ignore basically everything that isn't directly from Nintendo. WTF is up with that?

Sorry, I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.  I do get the occasional 3rd party game (8/47), but until 3rd parties make games that I want, I'm not going to buy them.  Nintendo has shown, pretty much for three systems now, they can keep me happy being the virtual soul support behind a console.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
Actually, what needs to change are the gamers who buy Nintendo consoles and then only buy 1st party games. This is not Nintendo's fault, its those people. Way too many people on various sites who only want to play Zelda, Mario, Kirby, metroid, etc.

They ignore basically everything that isn't directly from Nintendo. WTF is up with that? Those are the people that hurt the Wii. Nintendo didn't do everything right marketing wise, but the consumer did not help with this bizarre attitude.

insert link to Wall of Shame <HERE>

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
They ignore basically everything that isn't directly from Nintendo. WTF is up with that?

Sorry, I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.  I do get the occasional 3rd party game (8/47), but until 3rd parties make games that I want, I'm not going to buy them.  Nintendo has shown, pretty much for three systems now, they can keep me happy being the virtual soul support behind a console.

You're like one of those super picky eaters who only eats macaroni and cheese, hamburgers,  and certain types of pizza, aren't you?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:52:36 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »

Your like one of those super picky eaters who only eats macaroni and cheese, hamburgers,  and certain types of pizza, aren't you?

Not at all.  But I won't eat foods I don't like either.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
I hope there are downloadable demos on Cafe, to let UncleBob sample some of the tasty morsels available from third parties.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »
Eh, I really hope that Nintendo isn't putting the blame for the (many) failures of the Wii on the marketing so they don't have to admit they screwed-up in other areas, because sales numbers show that marketing was never really an issue.  Lack of 3rd party software, lack of Nintendo support for their own peripherals (Classic Controller and MotionPlus), and lack of worthwhile software at all for extended periods of time put the Wii where it is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
Honestly the root of the problem is that people only have x amount of times for game so, you want them to be good.  Nintendo games fill that X amount of time and are no brainers on quality.  The core solution is to get more people who have more time for games or go through them faster and are willing to spend to fill their need.  That right their is the definition of Hardcore.  The other is to foster someone else with as stellar of a reputation as say a 2nd party.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
Honestly the root of the problem is that people only have x amount of times for game so, you want them to be good.  Nintendo games fill that X amount of time and are no brainers on quality.  The core solution is to get more people who have more time for games or go through them faster and are willing to spend to fill their need.  That right their is the definition of Hardcore.  The other is to foster someone else with as stellar of a reputation as say a 2nd party.

I think this is the main problem.

Sony and Microsoft don't have the problem Nintendo has.  If Nintendo releases too many first party games, the third parties complain because they can't handle the competition.  If Nintendo doesn't release enough first party games, then consumers complain that there's not enough out there (see: 3DS).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
The "times versus games" argument is where I can agree with the ProDaisy philosophy of console gaming. He contends that trying to take advantage of more than one console per generation deprives the gamer by making them miss out on some of the less high profile but equally entertaining games of their chosen platforms.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
I can agree with that.  I missed the hat game in the top 30 DS and its, right up my alley.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
Conversely, only owning one console means you miss out on all the great exclusive titles of the other platforms.

J.P. Corbran

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
I'll tell you right now that Nintendo better be serious about this. The 3DS gives me hope, but for some reason I just can't allow myself to forget the mistakes of the Wii.

#1  Firstly, they expected a gimmick to NOT get old. ALL gimmicks will eventually get old, they are only a way to sell your product to the mass. Once it's sold, you must find a way to make that gimmick actually benefit the experience of your console. Which if you're a Wii owner, you know this was not the case most of the time.

#2 Like this article says, they did not build a strong relationship with with the 3rd party. In this day in age, this is a MUST; they provide new experiences to be had for those looking for games OTHER than the Mario's, and Zelda's out there. Believe it or not Nintendo, as fun as it is, people will eventually get tired of saving Hyrule from Ganon.

#3 This ties in with 3rd party support; 3rd party developers, DO NOT want to develop for last gen hardware. No I don't care about graphics, they do not make a game. But do you really think 3rd party developers want to put in the time and effort, to develop for a console that is essentially GameCube 1.5?

I love you Nintendo, but come on... Step up your game this time around. I'm tired of Microsoft and Sony getting all the 3rd party action.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:33:27 PM by SupaKirb »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
When I look back on the NES and SNES, two Nintendo consoles that had fantastic third party support, I find that with my favourite games there is a lot of balance between first and third party titles.  But with the N64, Gamecube and Wii, which had very poor third party support, my favourite games were predominantly first party.

This isn't rocket science.  First party games dominate the sales charts on Nintendo consoles because they make up the vast majority of the great games on the system.  Third party games don't sell because they practically don't exist.  The support is so weak that only a handful of third party titles could be considered some of the best releases on the system.

Do you think that Grand Theft Auto on a Nintendo console wouldn't sell because Mario and Zelda would eat into its sales?  We get table scraps from third parties while Sony and MS get the steak.  The DS had good third party support.  Where was every third party whining and complaining about having the compete with Mario on the DS?  Oh that's right, they didn't because they gave it decent support.  What they complain about is how a AAA Mario title outsells their half-assed token effort.  On the Wii, third parties expected us to put up with mediocre efforts.  Why the **** should we?  I do buy third party games... on my PS3 because that's where the good ones go.

Imagine that there was just one console that had the combined libraries of the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii.  With that library available to you what third party Wii games would you buy?  Would you buy a scaled down hack job of Dead Rising when the real game is available to you?  Would you buy a waggle-fest Soul Calibur spinoff instead of Soul Calibur IV?  Would you buy an on-rails Dead Space shooter instead of the REAL Dead Space?  You probably wouldn't and that's why those titles sold like ****.  No one wants a good game "by Wii standards" they want a good game period and on the Wii Nintendo was pretty much the only company offering those on a regular basis.

Third parties can handle the competition just fine, they just can't con us and they're mad about that.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
I'm surprised to hear ProDaisy has a coherent philosophy for anything.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
Do you think that Grand Theft Auto on a Nintendo console wouldn't sell because Mario and Zelda would eat into its sales?  We get table scraps from third parties while Sony and MS get the steak.  The DS had good third party support.  Where was every third party whining and complaining about having the compete with Mario on the DS?

Few things with this.  Funny you mention GTA on a Nintendo console, then go into talking about Nintendo handhelds without even addressing the GTA title that did show up on Nintendo - Chinatown Wars.  That sold well, didn't it? (heh).

And third parties *have* complained about the competition from first party titles on the DS.  Anyone have any articles handy, or should I go Google a few?

The DS has good third party support?  Name a handful of AAA titles that's been released by third parties in the past year.  Quantity doesn't equal quality and just because Dreamworks is releasing three more movie adaptations this year, it doesn't mean the DS has good support.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:51:31 PM by UncleBob »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
But owning all three platforms turns you into a softcore game who only plays "AAA" games like COD, GTA, Halo, and Madden. It's like the only movies you see are Avatar and Transformers.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
I need to see if MegaByte can tweak the forum rules so I don't keep seeing the "You need to wait an hour before repeating Karma actions." when I applaud Zap.

But owning all three platforms turns you into a softcore game who only plays "AAA" games like COD, GTA, Halo, and Madden. It's like the only movies you see are Avatar and Transformers.

Geometry Wars 2 alone is worth more than most of the third party Wii games I own.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:49:32 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »

The way I see it, you play what you like and if anyone doesn't like that, screw 'em.  I was a Nintendo-exclusive gamer from the time I was 5 on the NES until I was 25 with the Wii.  I got sick of playing pretty much just Nintendo titles (plus, E3 2008 "happened"), so I picked up a PS2 for my 3rd party needs (especially RPGs).  The PS2 had many great old games, but I wanted to play great new games, so I got a PS3.  The 360 got a few great exclusive retail titles, so I got a 360 relatively cheap to enjoy those and the exclusive download titles.

Bottom-line, becoming a multiplatform owner makes everything about specialization.  Each console I own exists for a particular purpose, and I'm satisfied with those consoles fulfilling their allotted roles and providing me with the games I like to play.  I don't have to play crap or pretend that mediocre games are secretly awesome simply because that's all there is, which has been the situation on the Wii.  I really don't see why anyone should be ashamed of that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.