Author Topic: Banned from "gaming"  (Read 6340 times)

Banned from "gaming"
« on: June 27, 2003, 05:08:27 AM »
Yes,  it's true, or at least my parents were talking about it. My mom stated that she watched some special on the discovery channel about a guy who played video games too much (she couldn't recognize the perticular title). This guy was a lso a real genius. Ok, so the story goes that he played TOO much video games and went crazy and murdered his whole family (this was after he was ticked off about something. They said the anger came from his obession of games).

Now after hearing this odd, one out of a billion, story my parents started stating the fact that I couldn't play video games any more...

What has the world come to? Does anyone have anything I can say to my parents that will reassure them that I won't go crazy over video games. And no, I'm not a crazy type of fellow....or at least I think I ain't.

Offline HolyPaladin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 05:16:52 AM »
Your parents need to discuss the matter with somebody that knows something about the matter rather than basing the decision on their own feelings after watching a show about one instance.  Do your parents believe that they are expert psychologists or sociologists such that they could begin to understand the effects of any particular form of entertainment on any given individual?  
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 05:57:25 AM »
Just threaten to kill your parents if the don't let you play video games.  Worked for me.  And if they don't belive you, take out the family pet.  Show them you mean business.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 06:42:39 AM »
Sounds more to me like your parents should be banned from watched television.

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 06:43:38 AM »
I saw this show as well, however it was a rerun and wasn't a documentary and was on Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science. It said that this was a guy who used to go to college and stay in his room all day (literally) and play a computer game called Morph. It said he used to call his parents for money and one day they stopped giving it to him. So he came home for a weekend and was playing Morph and he was getting really stressed out brecause it kept crashing or he couldn't pass a certain part (I can't remember). He then was filled with rage and killed his family with an ax but he killed his little sister by injecting her with drugs. The show did say that he probably came home with the intentions to kill his family anyway, so it probably was not the game, he was going to do it anyway, but the game stressed him out big time and he did it.
Also, if you feel the need to kill someone after playing a game you probably shouldn't be allowed outside and should be an institution or something. These people are already disturbed, the game didn't make them kill.

Oh yeah, he was supposed to be quite intelligent. And he had the nickname "Stinky Ahmad" or something from his friends because of his B.O.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 06:47:26 AM »

Originally posted by: HolyPaladin
Your parents need to discuss the matter with somebody that knows something about the matter rather than basing the decision on their own feelings after watching a show about one instance.  Do your parents believe that they are expert psychologists or sociologists such that they could begin to understand the effects of any particular form of entertainment on any given individual?

- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 07:47:18 AM »
Ah, yes. I love the fear-induction method of the media. Have your parents watched Bowling For Columbine yet?

Offline MagicToenail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 08:19:57 AM »
I was banned from video games for three months, because i stole pencil sharpeners from my school. I dont know why i was grounde from Them for that, it'snot like i got an obsession from GTA3. If you ever want to play video games again, follow Round Eye's advice, you can tell he's got experiecne.
Currently playing: Mario 64 DS and Resident Evil 4

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 10:02:35 AM »
haha, that's pretty funny......if sarcastic....dun dun duhhhhh

Anyways, how old is the person that is getting banned? If you bought the videogame system and its game, they have NO say if you play or even how long you play....
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 11:14:24 AM »

Anyways, how old is the person that is getting banned? If you bought the videogame system and its game, they have NO say if you play or even how long you play....

Uhh, yeah they do if you're living in their bloody house. I'd like to see you play video games with no place to live.

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 11:28:31 AM »
Genius tends to create insanity all by itself.  Video games enter into the equation in very small amounts.

My brother-in-law was telling me once a story about a guy he knew in the Psych ward, who thought he was Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.  That was his argument that video games can drive someone insane.  My response to that was that history must have a detrimental effect on people too, judging by the classic case of someone who thinks he is Napoleon.

There are hundreds of millions of people in this world who play video games, and there are millions who play them pretty much full time.  I fail to see why the media can take one or two crazies who happen to play video games and then take it out on the video games.  People go crazy.  It's a freaking fact of life.  They are just as likely to go crazy checking the mail as playing a video game.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
Those parents should be killed for being stupid.  Or at least tied up and smothered with peanut butter.

Videogames these days (in Ameyrikka) are becoming comparable to anything like alcohol consumption, and even 2 Fast 2 Furious -- anything that triggers [stupid] people to enact their [stupid] ideas.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 12:30:13 PM »
You know I remember when I was like 7 I drew a ying-yang like ever other little kid becuase it looked cool. My dad saw it and yelled at me or something. I remembered it a few days ago and looked up the meaning and its some kind of religious thing that the lines all connect, as do the matters in life or something. He also wouldn't let my older brother watch the smurfs when he was little becuase they were wizards. I bet I know where he got this crap. The 700 club. I don't see why those sorts of programs try and make everyone crazy and over-protective about everything all the time. For lack of more time to think of a better phrase.  

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 12:34:20 PM »
I'm gonna double post here I have something else to ad. Nobody would care about these things if they weren't popular. GTA is attacked all the time when it comes to gaming.

I just got State of Emergency yesterday and its insane. You can run through a mall, with a mow down hundreds of people at a time with machine guns, flame throwers, etc. Theres a cheat were you can punch somebody and there head will fall off. Then you can pick it up and start beating people with it if you like. Or shoot somebody who is already dead, and blood will spew out as their body shakes violently. Pretty fun stuff none-the-less. You never heard anything about that stuff becuase everyone hates state of emergency for one reason or another.

BTW, one thing to remember. Positive news about the world, isn't news worth reporting to for the media. Nobody wants to read that everything is just fine and dandy in the world. The media screws the world up more then gaming, movies and music ever does.    

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 05:55:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Genius tends to create insanity all by itself.

Very, very true.  

Anyway, IMO, video games do have a bad effect.  They slowly take away your sense of reality.  These two people that murdered their family (Ahmad and the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread) probably had their sense of reality destroyed from playing too many video games.  Eventually, life becomes a game to them where killing people does not matter.  Testers actually suffer from this, although none of them went as far as to kill people, from what I hear.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 07:25:05 PM »
I remember my mom trying to ground me from gaming. I alway found where she hid the systems and games and usally picked (pryed) the lock. She finally gave up trying to ground me afer a few years of this.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 09:41:35 PM »
lol.  Ah memories...

I was banned from "gaming."  Well actually at first I was just severely limited in my gameplay time.   Then it resulted to the full out banishment of em.  I later found some parts of my precious SNES in the trash can.  

Good luck but I doubt theres anything you can do.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 10:46:44 PM »
When my dad says I should cut down my computer usage, I cut down his. A virus here, a headcrash there... Sabotage their TV.
Hm, obviously reading the BOfH is evil as well .

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 10:50:30 PM »
as lame as it is, the fact is  they are your parents, they pay the bills and probably still pay for your food and clothes.  one day you will grow up and buy your own house and have an electricity bill in your own name and then you can do whatever  it is your heart desires.

if my kid ever pulls the i'll kill you when your sleeping bit, that very night he's gunna wake up with a shot gun  against his brain. a little friggin respect goes a long way as well as just sitting down and speaking your mind with them and being "honest"

good luck

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2003, 12:43:23 AM »
nice parenting with the shotgun.

wait no, the other thing.

american parenting.
Fin.

Offline Bostwick2967

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2003, 01:25:11 AM »
I saw on TechTv once that some big university had done a survey and they found that kids who play videogames tend to have better social lives. Ohh, Well
"Our Greatest Glory is not in Never Failing, but in Rising Every Time We Fail"-
Ralph Waldo Enemerson

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2003, 02:01:59 AM »
my advice is to apeal to your parents in a calm reasonable manner, prove you arn't an axe weilding homocidal maniac as is the case with the nutter they saw, use some of the points brought up in this thread, like grey ninja's point about the vast amount of video game players vs crazy people resulting from playing games.

dont get angry, that wont help anyone.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2003, 07:18:12 AM »
Or you could just say, Hey listen women, why don't you stop dictating my life and go knit me a sweater! That one usually works like a charm.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2003, 02:57:19 PM »
Hmm.  It's like the hacker in the Cowboy Bebop movie.  He played video games a ton, and some of the stuff he says reflects that (I always wanted to try being a terrorist).

Video games certainly have the potential to influence people, but so do movies, TV, books, and even things like school (like Grey's Napoleon comment).  But all of these things, video games included, have a very small effect on sane people.  Except maybe school.  That completely alters one's state of mind forever.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Banned from "gaming"
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2003, 07:38:52 PM »

Originally posted by: AERO
You know I remember when I was like 7 I drew a ying-yang like ever other little kid becuase it looked cool. My dad saw it and yelled at me or something. I remembered it a few days ago and looked up the meaning and its some kind of religious thing that the lines all connect, as do the matters in life or something. He also wouldn't let my older brother watch the smurfs when he was little becuase they were wizards. I bet I know where he got this crap. The 700 club. I don't see why those sorts of programs try and make everyone crazy and over-protective about everything all the time. For lack of more time to think of a better phrase.

don't even get me started on christian imperialists.  those are the kind of people that want to burn harry potter books.   Just thinking about them gets me so angry.  I'm sorry your father is like that.  Religion is for the fearful.

media today is so alarmist. they'll do anything for ratings. your parents really need a reality check.
it was time for a change.