Author Topic: GC2 and Mario 128 info update  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GC2 and Mario 128 info update
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2003, 07:56:34 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
double post, BUT THIS ONE IS ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC! read on...

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
BTW, has any of you ever considered that SK (and probably Nintendos) biggest Hit ever, maybe the best game ever Too Human might be pushed back for GCN 2?
Since its status is very unclear, SK are working on MGS and always seem very evasive regarding Too Human questions, only saying its not cancelled. Wouldnt it also be stupid releasing the GCN biggest Hit at the end of the GCN lifespan?

It would not be stupid at all to release the GC biggest hit at the end of it's lifespan... They would sell alot more games because the user base is so much larger.  Just look at the past... the SNES received Yoshi's Island, Killer Instinct, and the Donkey Kong Country series at the end of its life cycle.  The Saturn recieved Burning Rangers, the N64 recieved Perfect Dark at the end...  

So by releasing games at the end, they sell more, and in turn build up hype to carry them into the next generation

Well, its really hard to make guesses about such delicate issues, but I believe they will be much better of with releasing this game for GCN2. Imagine Conker was released for GCN as a release game, that would have owned Xbox and Halo.

ANd when you say that a game released on a new system with no user base sells less than on the dyings plattform MAX userbase is wrong. Because a game of Too Humans (hopeful quality) should be selling for ever. Halo still has great sales now because every new Xbox owner buys it(because its one of the best games).

LZ 2005

Offline NNCubed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2003, 01:39:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
Well my biggest concern is something that no one seems to be mentioning....ATI. All signs point to ATI providing the GPU for both the GC2 and X-box 2. I see that as a big conflict of interest from a hardware standpoint. I don't know how ATI can balance supplying two different GPU's to two different competing consoles. If either console gets the better GPU, I'm sure there would be some sort of backlash. Also both competitors would be able to find out what the other is planning from a hardware standpoint more easily. There could be some potention benefits but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion. Well giving each companies history....I would think Nintendo would end up with the better chip. MS is more like to go with a slightly customize version of ATI's latest Radeon while Nintendo likes to have have custom hardware.  Of course I could be seeing to much into this. I mean the SNES and Genesis both had Motorola CPUs(SNES has a 65536? and Genesis had a 68000). The PS1 and N64 both had MIPS based CPU's(PS had a R3000a and N64 has a R4300i)...but I don't know it still makes me uneasy. What do you guys think?

Darc Requiem

I doubt it would make any difference.  You're right about MS would probly go with a stock R420/500 while Nintendo (which has much closer ties with ATi AND ArtX) would probly go with a customized R420/500 chip; as well as Nintendos own Hardware engineers would probly be involved as well.  So i doubt thered be any stealign of ideas, as Im sure there would be contracts and all kinds of high-profile agreements going on between Nintendo/ATi and MS/ATi.
Gamecube, the ultimate gaming machine.  The first of a new kind.

What does it take to be #1?
2 is not a winner and 3, nobody remembers.

Most anticipated game:

Final Fantasy Tactics II

Offline Joshtheleo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2003, 02:47:55 PM »
I really hope the next nintendo system is either backwards compatable or has somesort of expantion to make it compatable.  I've been riding the nintendo console wave since the NES but ive never had this many games for my system before.  I'd hate to think it's all just a waste when the next system arives.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2003, 08:42:54 PM »
I read the next GCN might be released in 04.... thats certainly disapointing.... going first doesnt mean winning, remember the Dreamcast  was released 1 year before the PS2

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: GC2 and Mario 128 info update
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2003, 09:01:08 PM »
I doubt it would be 2004. Most of the signs are pointed to a 2005 launch along side of another contender (which ever comes first much like they did with MS) And accually the Dreamcast was doing rather well, it was the past that finally killed the machine.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2003, 09:11:16 PM »
The 04 date is a rumor from EGM

The past? well right now Nintendo needs to fix its image equal to Sega.... Sega was seen as a faliure, nintendo is seen as for kids... Nintendo could do well by looking at its former rival Sega to know what not to do

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2003, 09:27:04 PM »
There is no Mario 128 news here people. "Mario will be innovative" hurrah! I thought it would be exactly the same as sunshine. *rolls eyes*

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2003, 06:29:44 AM »
I strongly hope the next Mario is not called Mario 128...

But anyway, good news.  Nintendo's working hard to deliver a console for its third-parties as well as its own development teams.  Nice.  

And why do some people assume Too Human is the second coming?  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2003, 10:34:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell
The 04 date is a rumor from EGM

The past? well right now Nintendo needs to fix its image equal to Sega.... Sega was seen as a faliure, nintendo is seen as for kids... Nintendo could do well by looking at its former rival Sega to know what not to do

Nintendo is not in the same predicament Sega was. If Sega had the money that Nintendo had when they launched the DC, they'd still be in the hardware business. Sega's debt caused three problems for the DC. The hardware specs were cut down to save cost. While the DC still would have been outgunned by current consoles the gap would have been smalled. The DC had 16MB RAM, 8MB of VRAM and 2MB of Sound RAM, with 1 Power VR2 GPU pushing 3 to 4 million polygons. Original specs for DC 32MB RAM, 16MB of VRAM, 2MB of Sound RAM, with 2 Power VR GPUs running in synchronous pushing 7 to 10 million polygons. The couldn't afford to buy exclusives like MS, Sony, and even now Nintendo is doing. They couldn't afford the constant advertising blitz necessary to keep the DC in the minds of gamers. Sega decided to can the DC before the GC and X-box launched not because of hardware sales but because they just ran out of money and they knew it was going to take even more capital to compete with not just one but three competitors.

Darc Requiem  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2003, 07:44:59 PM »
I never said they were in the same situation.... I said the situations were similar in a sense that Nintendo is in a cross roads... they need to change to go back to the dominating force they used to be..