Author Topic: The Great GameFAQs Character Battle II  (Read 40145 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The Great GameFAQs Character Battle II
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2003, 06:21:17 PM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
and australians its #1 in the sales charts here

but then... most australians are utter dickwackers

oh yeah, uhm, GO MARIO

I'm nice PIAC so I won't tease you about that second line.  I don't like to make people mad, even though I would only be joking around.  Haha, mwahaha.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ninja X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2003, 11:59:14 AM »
Pac-Man vs. Kefka is a close match.  I honestly hope Pac-Man makes a huge upset and beats the legendary Kefka.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: The Great GameFAQs Character Battle II
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2003, 12:03:04 PM »
Although I like both, I voted for Pac-Man for Gabe's sake.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2003, 01:36:52 PM »
I voted for Kefka because he's pure evil.  I like Pac-Man and all, but Kefka got my vote in the end.  

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2003, 05:16:29 PM »
i voted for pac-man im surprised gabe hasnt' put something on penny arcade about it

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2003, 08:10:40 PM »
i voted kefka.

I know chances are slim, but my pics for final round were Kefka and Magus.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2003, 11:41:42 PM »
well. dear oh dear, Crono(Chrono) vs Tom Nook thats a bit unfair isn't it, like Link vs AiAi and Mario vs Captain Olimar.

i still voted crono, cause chronotrigger = best RPG evah!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2003, 05:58:38 AM »
It is weird how the matches were set up, but I guess in all fairness this is the best way to do it.  If Tom Nook can't stand up against Crono, then will he be able to stand up against anyone else?

I voted for Crono because I never played Animal Crossing.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2003, 12:32:46 PM »
here's a question for you all:  just how big is gamefaqs.com?  meaning, does it seem odd that in every single poll of the character battle the site has roughly 100,000 votes?  the weekly polls on gamespy.com (which, despite what you think of the site, is probably a more popular site) generate between 25,000 and 50,000 votes.  today's poll over at gamespot.com has under 6,000 votes.  pgc's current poll has bee going on for god-knows how long and it only has 108 votes.

should we question the legitimacy of the polls at gamefaqs.com?  i know the character battle has generated some pretty big interest on various forums around the net, and i'm sure that is leading to higher-than-average turnout, but it still seems a bit excessive.

i have a couple friends who i would consider hardcore gamers who have never heard of gamefaqs.com.  is the site really that popular (read:  is the character battle really that popular) that it gets that many votes per day?

anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2003, 01:18:23 PM »
Yes, it really is that popular. Last year they were like this too, the staff double checks every single poll, and if you are a hardcore gamer I don't know how you could have not heard of Gamefaqs...
Anyway, look at the activity on their forums if you don't believe me. They have something like 200,000 users...

PS, there are 19 Nintendo characters, not 15....
Link
Pikachu
Fox
Ganondorf
Luigi
Samus
Isaac
Bowser
Ness
Yoshi
Felix
Mario
Olimar
Wario
Tom Nook
Kirby
DK
Zelda
Mr. Resetti

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2003, 05:40:28 PM »
COME ON BOMBERMAN! YOU CAN DO IT

i might get my self a bomberman avatar to support the little guy

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2003, 06:05:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreakand if you are a hardcore gamer I don't know how you could have not heard of Gamefaqs...

well, unfortunately, he's an xbox fan, so i dunno.  i'm not going to make excuses for him.  he was also griping about the lack of xbox characters in the battle once i showed it to him.  apparently he just didn't get that xbox doesn't have that very many exclusive franchises with stand-out characters.  oh well.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2003, 06:12:54 AM »
Well, if you only own an Xbox, then I seriously doubt you are a hardcore gamer.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2003, 07:56:28 AM »
See that leaderboard? I'm one of only 55 people who currently have a PERFECT bracket so far. I should have a perfect bracket through the entire first round, with the possible exception of Vyse vs Donkey Kong. I've got Vyse winning that one, I'm shouldn't have done it but I'm banking on the crazy Sega fans to back me up.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2003, 08:36:10 AM »
Heh.  You are a very smart (lucky) man StrikerObi.    I have been bombing the rounds REALLY bad so far.  A few of the matches took me by complete surprise.

But I think you will lose when it comes time for Vyse vs Donkey Kong.  I will be voting for Vyse, and I think he should win, but I am quite sure DK will beat him.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2003, 09:27:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

what's your definition of a hardcore gamer?

let's go down the list with possible traits:
owns more than twenty games:  check
plays more than 20 hours a week:  check
follows gaming news and participates in forum chat:  check
loves xbox with a blinding passion:  check

trust me, he's a hardcore gamer.  a little misguided, but a hardcore gamer nonetheless.

if you want the real reason he likes xbox so much, it's because he can't afford to keep up his computer to play all the latest games.  and (as much as you may dislike xbox) many great games available for pc are on xbox, too.  (hell, most of the good games on xbox are pc ports, but that's another discussion for another thread.)

and just to keep on the original topic, how the heck did kefka beat pac-man?  no matter, all shall fall to the mighty chrono!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2003, 10:42:32 AM »
If Gabe wasn't movie and could post something on Penny-Arcade, Pac-Man would've destroyed Kefka and probably Crono, too. You guys would surprised how many rabid PA fans are out there waiting to do Gabe or Tycho's bidding. You remember that Blockbuster ad they got changed, or the whole American Greetings fiasco?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2003, 12:27:33 PM »
wow, i misjudged max payne's popularity.  i really thought gordon freeman would have won.  guess i should have payed attention to last year's results.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2003, 12:33:35 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

what's your definition of a hardcore gamer?

let's go down the list with possible traits:
owns more than twenty games:  check
plays more than 20 hours a week:  check
follows gaming news and participates in forum chat:  check
loves xbox with a blinding passion:  check

trust me, he's a hardcore gamer.  a little misguided, but a hardcore gamer nonetheless.

if you want the real reason he likes xbox so much, it's because he can't afford to keep up his computer to play all the latest games.  and (as much as you may dislike xbox) many great games available for pc are on xbox, too.  (hell, most of the good games on xbox are pc ports, but that's another discussion for another thread.)

and just to keep on the original topic, how the heck did kefka beat pac-man?  no matter, all shall fall to the mighty chrono!

The thing is that the Xbox has very few games to call its own.  I suppose if he's a broke PC gamer, it might make a little bit of sense, but the fact is that the Xbox isn't really much of a console for a hardcore gamer if it's all you own.  I can see it being a second, or more likely, third, console, but not a first and only.  It just has too few games.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2003, 01:55:10 AM »
poor gabe will be heart broken about pacman

go team gabe!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2003, 01:12:20 PM »
Haha- they put Raiden up against Snake- that was intentional.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2003, 05:42:13 AM »
wow. i didn't expect this, Knuckles is actually BEATING Yuna! GO KNUCKLES! SHOW THEM WHAT AUSSIE ANIMALS ARE MADE OF

i hate crash btw

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2003, 11:48:05 AM »
FFX was a great game and all, but Yuna was so frigging annoying- glad I had Knuckles down on my bracket.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2003, 11:54:07 AM »
I didn't think Knuckles stood a chance in hell, but I voted for him just to spite that crappy FFX game.  On my bracket, I picked Yuna of course, but I am just as happy losing that one.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2003, 12:03:35 PM »
Haven't you had that avatar before, Ninja? I remember you having and avatar at least similar to it and some guy saying it didn't fit your name, so you changed it.