Author Topic: Virtual Console Frustration..  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Shredder5655

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Virtual Console Frustration..
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
I have to wonder something... after the initial hoopla of motion controls died down, does anyone else finding them playing the virtual console more than new wii games themselves? 

Maybe THAT is why so many good games have yet to be released, and we are getting games no one has ever played before? 

Personally, I just don't get why nintendo doesn't just release EVERYTHING at once..and let folks choose what they want to download... same will go for the Gameboy Virtual console.  If I could get rid of all my carts and have everything on one system, that would be worth the over priced 3DS right there...screw the 3D aspect :).

Anyone else agree?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Console Frustration..
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
While it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to release everything on the VC at once (the sales for 2-3 given games would devour sales that could go to 10-15 overlooked titles, and it would be hard to keep track of what has been released), I think everyone at this point is wondering why Nintendo has seemingly abandoned the VC and doesn't seem to be making any effort to get more 3rd party VC support.  With the coming demise of the DS, I'm surprised we aren't seeing real movement by Square-Enix to get their unreleased SNES games on the VC.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling all these companies are looking at the 3DS' online shop now instead of the Virtual Console.  Hopefully, we'll see a resurgence of Virtual Console support before the Wii 2 comes out.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »
Unfortunately, I gave up on Square-Enix VC releases a while ago and instead tracked down original cartridges of most of their games I was interested in. I suppose that money could have gone to them and Nintendo instead, but oh well. I'd still buy Robotrek and Secret of Evermore, if they happen to be listening.

That being said, I am not one to rebuy games that I already own, but if I had access to all of them via VC, I would seriously consider putting them on there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
I own over 70 VC games, but have bought almost none in the last couple years because of Nintendo's slowed release schedule. Honestly though, if they'd just give me Yoshi's Island I wouldn't really care that they've abandoned the service.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »
Unfortunately, I gave up on Square-Enix VC releases a while ago and instead tracked down original cartridges of most of their games I was interested in. I suppose that money could have gone to them and Nintendo instead, but oh well. I'd still buy Robotrek and Secret of Evermore, if they happen to be listening.

The three that I'm waiting for from them are Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.  None of these sold as well as Square-Enix would have liked, including the DS port of Chrono Trigger, so there's some hope for those on the VC.  I would say I'm waiting for Final Fantasy 6 as well, but given that it's a Final Fantasy title that hasn't yet gotten a DS remake, there's probably exactly 0 chance of that coming to VC.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
There is a finite amount of possible VC games so it was inevitable that things would slow down.  But what is suprising is that we have not reached the saturation point yet so there is no reason to slow down.  There are still tons of classic games that could be released on the VC but haven't been.  I think they should have kept the releases coming at a normal pace until there just wasn't anything left.

Terranigma would be nice since there is no North American release.  I can't go to the used game store and buy it for my SNES.  Import games are the best part of the VC.  It gives a reason for even a purist to buy VC titles.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
The three that I'm waiting for from them are Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.

Terranigma would be nice since there is no North American release.  I can't go to the used game store and buy it for my SNES.  Import games are the best part of the VC.  It gives a reason for even a purist to buy VC titles.

Terranigma would be frickin' awesome.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
The problem with "releasing everything at once" is where do you go from there? Once its all out you're left with nothing new to look forward to. By releasing a little bit at a time people are more likely to take notice of each individual game, and that puts certain games in the limelight for a period of time. If all were released at once it would just be a huge flood and everything would get buried in a giant heap.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »
I think Nintendo views the Wii Shop Channel as a single entity rather than split into two services, Virtual Console and WiiWare. There are usually at least two WiiWare games released every week, so even though we don't see many VC games anymore, Nintendo doesn't see a lack of games being released.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »
I admitted on several threads that I absolutely love the Virtual Console, so it breaks my heart to see the service slow to a screeching halt the way it has done in the past few years. I would gladly pay for imports of SNES RPGs and would love to all the Konami TMNT games (mostly Turtles in Time), as well a import of Snatcher for the Turbografx-16.

I am thinking about starting up a thread centered around titles that need to be remade into "rebirth" titles on Wiiware.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:50:26 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
  I think Nintendo views the Wii Shop Channel as a single entity rather than split into two services, Virtual Console and WiiWare. There are usually at least two WiiWare games released every week, so even though we don't see many VC games anymore, Nintendo doesn't see a lack of games being released.

I figure that is what Nintendo thinks as well.  But I think that they're incorrect in seeing things that way.  Some people are only interested in one or the other.  But I think Nintendo also makes these sort of mistakes a lot where they generalize their audience into one big blob.  That kind of thinking caused the backlash for the infamous Wii Music/Animal Crossing E3 showing.  They made the assumption that because product was available that that was sufficient but did not take into account that different demographics may want different product.  For someone who is interested in the VC but not WiiWare it is like NOTHING is being released at all.  The WiiWare titles don't "count".  And the same would apply in the opposite direction where for someone not interested in retro games having no WiiWare games being released would be a drought in their mind.