Author Topic: 3DS to Implement 'Nintendo eShop'  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: 3DS to Implement 'Nintendo eShop'
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Realistically, the eShop will be available Day 1. Kohler is assuming a delay, which is not indicated either by the press release itself or by history. The Wii Shop Channel didn't work out of the box either, because Nintendo continued developing it right up until (and after) launch day. This is just a way for them to continue revising "soft features" like the eShop well after the production model has to be finalized for mass manufacturing.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:38 PM »
I think GBA games are inevitable. Nintendo's not usually one to pass up an opportunity to make money with no real effort.
Agreed. It's possible they're still working on an emulator. Considering Nintendo couldn't even get Ocarina of Time ready for launch, this isn't much of a surprise. Nintendo added additional consoles to VC so I would think the same may apply here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Game Gear, Wonderswan etc. games brought over at some point.

Is "Nintendo eShop" the official name? If so, I dig it. The name unifies the shop which I would assume carries over to Wii 2.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
The eShop sounds like a cross between the Wii Shop Channel and the Nintendo Channel. I always thought it was a little strange you had to own a Wii to download demos to a DS, and was a little surprised they didn't put those demos in the DSi Shop.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
My guess is GBA is harder to do since the processor in the 3DS isn't drastically faster.  However, it's the same architecture, so this may mean that they'll have to find a way to run the GBA games natively, similar to how it was done on the DS/Lite, but without physical cartridges.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
Nintendo should upgrade the DSiShop and the WiiShop channels while they're at it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
I'm sure that GBA isn't there from day 1 because Nintendo needs something to get everyone all worked up about later on.

For now they want you to check out all the GB/GBC games and then soon they will add in some GameGear, TG16 & Lynx games. Then maybe some Game.com, Wonderswan & NeoGeoPocket, and then maybe some GBA to go with the NeoGeoPocket Color

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
I'm sure that GBA isn't there from day 1 because Nintendo needs something to get everyone all worked up about later on.

For now they want you to check out all the GB/GBC games and then soon they will add in some GameGear, TG16 & Lynx games. Then maybe some Game.com, Wonderswan & NeoGeoPocket, and then maybe some GBA to go with the NeoGeoPocket Color

Sadly, the one game.com game I would want (Batman and Robin) wouldn't be coming.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Is anyone else getting the feeling that Nintendo is rushing the 3DS release? I know they actually wanted to get it out sooner, but how much weaker would the (1st party) launch lineup be, how many more features would be implemented with firmware updates?

Right now, Reggie is right in saying that the 3DS is a one of a kind experience, but by the holiday season it likely won't be, which could be the reason for the rush.

Something else of somewhat interest is that Sony showed a number of autostereoscopic devices at CES, and with 6 months of praise for the 3DS, it may be possible that Sony is also going to have glasses-free 3D for the PSP2.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
If Sony is due to release a 3D PSP2 then maybe Nintendo knows that and rushing the 3DS release makes all the more sense to be the first to the market.  Is Sony is going to match this then this Christmas is already a battle.  Might as well get a head start while they can.

I'm really hoping that part of the reason to rush the 3DS to a March date is to provide a sufficient gap between it and a Wii 2 launch late in the year.  They did it with the GBA and Gamecube back in 2001.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »
Using direct currency means the cards will be labeled with their value and stores can't get away with charging 25€ for a 20€ card.

I highly doubt there will be a "spinach" option for original Game Boy titles on 3DS. Those games were programmed in black-and-white; they only look green on the original GB system due to the screen technology. If you play them on any other model (Super Game Boy, GB Pocket, GB Color, GBA, etc.) they look black-and-white, not green-and-white.

The GB pocket is the only one of those with a fixed color scheme, the others let you choose one.