Author Topic: Samus to Appear in DOA Dimensions  (Read 7681 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Samus to Appear in DOA Dimensions
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 01:51:35 AM »
This sort of thing is nothing new. Nintendo whored out Link to have him in Soul Calibur 2 on the GC. They also had Mario have cameos in all sorts of unrelated games, such as Punch Out where he was the referee. So its not like this is without precedent. Now, did having Link appear in SC 2 "cheapen" him or the Zelda franchise? No, it didn't. People don't even talk about it anymore. I think the same will be true with this DOA game in a few years.

Ironic as this may sound, I think Other M (which is an official Metroid game) has done far more damage to the franchise than this DOA thing ever could. As far as Samus being sexually exploited, that will probably happen in DOA, but that isn't something new either. Nintendo has been doing it for years. So again, having Samus parade around in spandex in DOA isn't anything new, because she does that in Smash Bros, Other M, you name it (well, actually not in the Prime games so much). But yeah...
is your sanity...

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 02:18:25 AM »
I'm fine with Samus being in DOA.
You know, I'm actually okay with her being jiggly/bouncy in her skin-tight zero suit (if used).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »
This sort of thing is nothing new. Nintendo whored out Link to have him in Soul Calibur 2 on the GC.  They also had Mario have cameos in all sorts of unrelated games, such as Punch Out where he was the referee.  So its not like this is without precedent. Now, did having Link appear in SC 2 "cheapen" him or the Zelda franchise?

You really can't compare this with Link's appearance in Soul Calibur 2.  At the time, Soul Calibur was the premier weapons-based fighting game on the market and has a storyline about fighters from various time periods and whatnot being brought together to destroy or become evil.  Link fights with a sword to banish evil.  It's a natural fit for that character and that franchise.  It's also one of the few times Link has been used in anything outside of his own games, so it feels special

Likewise, Mario's whole identity is built around the fact that there's absolutely nothing identifying or special about him, except that he jumps very well.  His utter blandness/adaptability (take your pick) allows him to be placed in all these different types of games without standing out too terribly.  You ask if all these cameos and whatnot "cheapened" Mario, and in my opinion they did.  The more appearances a character makes in various games, the less special these appearances become.  Frankly, I'd be thrilled if Mario took a few years off where I didn't see him in anything, if only so that his eventual return would actually mean something.  But I digress.

On the other hand, the Metroid games are (until recently) based on isolation and solemn exploration of various ruins, exterminating those that stand in Samus' way with ranged combat as she fulfills her mission as a Bounty Hunter.  The Dead or Alive franchise (the actual fighting games, anyway) are about a bunch of girls coming together to beat the crap out of each other in martial arts.  The inclusion of Samus in this game just doesn't make sense outside of the Team Ninja connection.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:21:03 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline cricarra

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 02:27:08 AM »
Get. Over. It.

This is great news. I might just pick up DOA before SFIV3D.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »
But without a strong man at her side who will stop Samus from zoning out at the sight of Ridley???

This is just a transparent attempt to give DoA any chance in face of SF4. DoA has always sold because there were no alternatives, it arrives before any better fighting games come out but now it's up against one of the most respected fighting games out there.

Not to mention the way Samus was portrayed in Other M always is CANON. Not to mention it was quite realistic, and she's still a strong woman in her own right desptie any drawbacks, and those are what make her all the more human.

Canon does not fucking matter unless we're discussing printers. This is like the Kutaragi argument of "if an architect placed the path so it doesn't line up with the door nobody would call him out on that". It does not fucking matter what the creator thinks of the work, it matters what the audience thinks because art is primarily emotional and the audience's emotions are the only ones that are perceived. If the audience does not feel the intended emotions the artist has failed. Sakamoto has failed.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
On the other hand, the Metroid games are (until recently) based on isolation and solemn exploration of various ruins, exterminating those that stand in Samus' way with ranged combat as she fulfills her mission as a Bounty Hunter.  The Dead or Alive franchise (the actual fighting games, anyway) are about a bunch of girls coming together to beat the crap out of each other in martial arts.  The inclusion of Samus in this game just doesn't make sense outside of the Team Ninja connection.

Hey, there are guys too! According to the wikia, the male count outnumbers the female count. You shouldn't rag on the poor game series in exploiting its TnA to the point that there are three spin-off games and a Blackjack game :(
Okay, maybe you should.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
The lukewarm reception Other M has received might have been a major factor in Nintendo's decision to allow Samus to be in DOA. Maybe they were thinking her exposure needed to be increased in order to boost the market's awareness of the franchise. Then again, I'm sure if Other M had been a huge success this would be happening anyway, so who am I kidding?
is your sanity...

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Samus in DOA = sales
So let's do it!
It's not going to crush anyone's dream image of Samus.  Other M took care of that already.

Sakamoto's Other M was a throwback title for HIM.
Everyone else wanted a game with the style of Super Metroid/Fusion.

Sakamoto's selfishness hurt the game.

-Where the heck was classic controller support?

-D-pad for 3D control?? Are you nuts?

-First-person mode could have easlily been made to a button.  Then joystick would controls the on-screen reticle.  We have this is games called "First-Person Shooters", Sakamoto.

-Samus's voice acting and story didn't kill anything for me, but they really could have done a better job.  This isn't 1997.  The PSOne was full of that crap.  Still, the actress only did what she was hired to do.  It wasn't her fault.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
delicious anger
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »
Is there even a reason we want such good relations with Tecmo that it's worth sacrificing the dignity of one of Nintendo's cornerstone IPs?  Aside from the Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden franchises, I'm struggling to think of anything notable that they make.  I suppose there's Fatal Frame, but that doesn't sell outside of Japan and doesn't strike me as a franchise Nintendo cares about.

Agreed.  I don't give two shits about any third party relations that involve third parties handling Nintendo properties.  Was Namco's abomination of a Star Fox game worthwhile for the good third party relations it produced?

And I also agree that this is not quite the same as putting Link in Soul Calibur.  Soul Calibur is one of the premiere games of its genre.  DOA is an also-ran.  It's a different level of prestige.

However I don't think this does any damage to Metroid that Other M has not already done.  I'm not thrilled about this but it is small potatoes.  DOA also once had a Halo crossover and the character was even female but she never appeared outside her armour and was not sexualized in any way.  So they may keep Samus in her suit.  Probably not, but they COULD.

My biggest objection with Other M was that it played like a dumbed-down linear action game.  The story was also embarassing and very poorly written but the true sin was that it betrayed Metroid's gameplay.

I have ultimately realized that neither Zelda or Metroid are "sacred" anymore.  Despite how much money Nintendo makes that is their great failure.  They had two the most reverred and legendary videogame franchises of all time and they pissed that away.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
Samus in DOA = sales
So let's do it!
It's not going to crush anyone's dream image of Samus.  Other M took care of that already.

Sakamoto's Other M was a throwback title for HIM.
Everyone else wanted a game with the style of Super Metroid/Fusion.

Sakamoto's selfishness hurt the game.

-Where the heck was classic controller support?

-D-pad for 3D control?? Are you nuts?

-First-person mode could have easlily been made to a button.  Then joystick would controls the on-screen reticle.  We have this is games called "First-Person Shooters", Sakamoto.

-Samus's voice acting and story didn't kill anything for me, but they really could have done a better job.  This isn't 1997.  The PSOne was full of that crap.  Still, the actress only did what she was hired to do.  It wasn't her fault.

You definitely do not speak for me, sir. I thoroughly enjoyed Metroid: Other M, and actually... I place it as my second favorite Metroid game of all time. Right behind Super Metroid, of course. I thought the game felt like a true evolution of what the original SuperNES game felt like, and I loved every minute of it. Every. Stinkin'. Minute.

Fantastic game. And you guys who hate it are ridiculous. There. :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
lol casual fans