Author Topic: 3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set  (Read 11471 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
How Does The Nintendo 3DS Price Stack Up?

How Does The Nintendo 3DS Price Stack Up?

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
I will honestly say that it seems to me that gaming is getting too expensive.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »
Just got home to a mass of news trying to catch up.

Any word on online and please say no friend codes!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
Yeah, but so it everything else unfortunately, even adjusting for inflation. For example, $90 in 1989 would be about $158 now. That Game Gear would be $240. If anything, games have gone up less than everything else. I wish games were cheaper too though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Yeah, but so it everything else unfortunately, even adjusting for inflation. For example, $90 in 1989 would be about $158 now. That Game Gear would be $240. If anything, games have gone up less than everything else. I wish games were cheaper too though.

The debacle that the world financial system is in makes me think that gaming, or atleast the games, should be cheaper due to less demand. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
Price of the unit aside, I'm pretty concerned about the speculated price of the games.  I think I saw somewhere $40 listed as the pre-order price for Nintendogs + Cats?  Assuming that's the standard, I don't see Nintendo putting their N64 ports anywhere lower than that (which would be ridiculous considering the age of these games), and tack on another $10 for the Square-tax when Dragon Quest X gets shifted to the 3DS.  That's pretty pricey for games on a portable system.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:02:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »
The two toned shell looks tacky. I was hoping they'd change that. Oh well.

The price is as expected. Too expensive for me, but I resigned myself to waiting for a redesign so it's inconsequential. It's not unfair, but Nintendo is clearly pushing profit margins. If I was planning on buying at launch, I wouldn't feel completely ripped off.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
I will honestly say that it seems to me that gaming is getting too expensive.

Then sell your Wii or whatever and stick to apps. Live like you mean it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
Price of the unit aside, I'm pretty concerned about the speculated price of the games.  I think I saw somewhere $40 listed as the pre-order price for Nintendogs + Cats?  Assuming that's the standard, I don't see Nintendo putting their N64 ports anywhere lower than that (which would be ridiculous considering the age of these games), and tack on another $10 for the Square-tax when Dragon Quest X gets shifted to the 3DS.  That's pretty pricey for games on a portable system.

This is what I meant by games being too expensive. The prices for PS360 games should be $50 and Wii games should be $40 new and DS games should be no more than $30 at this point. The tehnology is cheap enough to warrant these prices. Lastly, Nintendo might get slammed if they do not play the 3DS the right way, which is to increase the justifiation of buying the system compared to the DS. 

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
Even at $60, game developers get shut down.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
The price is what I expected it to be, though still $150 more than it should be.

To be fair, games used to cost a lot more to manufacture than they do now, because they used cartridges. Though I guess this is offset by how much more development costs are these days.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
You think it should be $99? Really?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »
That's the most I'd pay for one, since handhelds aren't worth anywhere near home console prices, but I realize I'm in a minority on that.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Do you have a cell phone?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »
No. Costs too much, does too little.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »
$250 is above my limit of consideration.  On top of that, a handheld in which games cost $30-$50 feels like the past.   At some point, more people are going to wonder why Nintendo charges $30 for their games when they can get decent games on their iPod for $5-$10.  Slag iOS games all you want, but there are some damn good games on that platform, and a lot of them are less than 10% of what Nintendo asks.

For better or worse, eventually these two business models are going to collide.  Maybe the consumer will decide that Nintendo's games are good enough to pay 10x the asking price, but I have my doubts. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
It's interesting that Nintendo isn't even going to launch 3DSWare at first.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
For better or worse, eventually these two business models are going to collide.  Maybe the consumer will decide that Nintendo's games are good enough to pay 10x the asking price, but I have my doubts. 

Agreed - and I think we're already seeing some of that, with the various shovel-ware producers complaining how their games aren't selling on the DS now.

However, there are some games (granted, mostly first party titles) that simply *do not compare* to what's available on, say iOS or Android - at any price.  Nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros., Dragon Quest, etc.

Sure, getting someone to pay $20-$30 for another copy of Bejeweled is going to be difficult - that's where we're (sadly) going to have to see the shift in focus to digital distribution.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
@DrewMG
The iOS games should be making appearances on 3DSWarwe and there are "premium" games coming to the iPhone that are going to cost $30 or more.

The worlds have already collided.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Most of the iOS crossovers we've seen so far are selling for 500 points on DSiWare, or 0.99 on iOS.  I'm curious where you've read that this practice is going to come to an end?  I actually don't really see Nintendo allowing 0.99 3DSWare applications, because I would assume they feel that this devalues the product.  They're probably right.

Also, what iPhone game is going to sell for $30?  If it does, it will fail.  It is DRASTICALLY overpriced on that platform, and I don't think anyone will bite on it.  GTA Chinatown Wars cost $9.99.  Tiger Woods costs $9.99.  Madden costs $9.99.  These are versions with perhaps lesser controls than the DS versions, but better visuals (this will clearly change with 3DS) and similar feature sets. 

I'd like to see a link which backs up your statement.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
Aren't the DSWare version of app games more fully fleshed out? And as I'm sure you know, 500 point is $5, and iOS has $9.99 games already, which could easily appear on the 3DS with upgraded visuals for 1000-1500 points.

Edit: I never said there would $.99 games on any DS.

As for my second point, I can't link from my phone so you'll have to use the magic known as Google and search for "Apple premium games section". It's just a rumor at this point, and the for now, the games are rumored to be $20 and not $30. I assume however, that as the iPhone/Pad/Pods get more powerful, they'll get more fully fledged games, that cost more to develop, and thus have to be sold for more. Since it'll digital distribution only, $30 came to my mind as the ceiling for such games.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:01:39 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:11:37 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:56 PM »

Too damn high!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
I am concerned about the prices of the games themselves. I was OK with $30 for DS, maybe $35 for some. The possible $40 pricepoint is getting into PSP territory though and I wasn't the only one that didn't like the idea of paying that much for a portable game. This won't stop me from getting the system at launch and I will still pick up games I know I will like, but this could stop me from trying out games I am not sure of.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
It is obvious, 3DS is going to fail like the DS was predicted to fail before its "rushed" launch and will be destroyed by, um, PSP2 like PSP did to the DS before it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144