Author Topic: 3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set  (Read 11399 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »

The system will retail for $249.99 and launches March 27.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24774

At the Nintendo 3DS Preview Event in New York, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime announced the launch date and price of the Nintendo 3DS. The handheld will debut with a MSRP of $249.99 on March 27. This date comes near the end of the previously promised launch timeframe, which ends with the company's fiscal year on March 31.

Fils-Aime noted that focus groups consistently felt that the features included in the system warranted a price as high as $300 - $400, however Nintendo chose to keep the system price at $249.99, equivalent with the Wii launch price, and $100 more than the Nintendo DS.

The system will initially be available in two colors, Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black. Over 30 games will be available during the "launch window", but specific launch-date games have not yet been announced.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Launches in U.S. for $249.99 on March 27
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
That's a price that I can cope with.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 3DS Launches in U.S. for $249.99 on March 27
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Seems to be a fair price, at the same point as Wii when it launched. Wish we knew more about the games launching on the same day as the system though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: 3DS North American Price, Date Set
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
So Neal's prediction date was right on the mark. Well played, sir.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: 3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
Fils-Aime noted that focus groups consistently felt that the features included in the system warranted a price as high as $300 - $400</p>

I'd like to see the focus groups that said this.

No surprise on the price, this is pretty much what most of us expected. I am disappointed with the news that we will get it AFTER Europe for some reason. As for the colors, I will probably get Cosmic Black because I don't like how the Aqua Blue one looks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
Whoa, whoa.....   "Cosmic" Black??
(scans press release)
Oh, whew!  It's Cosmo Black.  Good.  Was worried there for a sec.
(thinks about it for another sec)
Wait.   Cosmo?
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
Eh, no thanks.  I'll wait for the cheaper redesign 1-2 years down the line with a longer-lasting battery.  Maybe the system's worth that much, but I just can't justify spending the cost of a console on a handheld.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
I think some of you are forgetting that when Nintendo launches a redesigned handheld, they tend to drop the price of the original model and sell the new version at the original system price.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
That's a much better price then the rumoured $300 price tag so Nintendo hasn't gone totally bonkers.  But I still don't really want to spend the same for a handheld that I did for a console.

And how does this make the Wii look?  Nintendo's console is CHEAPER than their portable?  Isn't that going to make the Wii look like a total joke?  Plus the fact that the portable has arguably BETTER graphics.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
And how does this make the Wii look?  Nintendo's console is CHEAPER than their portable?  Isn't that going to make the Wii look like a total joke?

When the PSP came out in 2004, it was more expensive than the PS2 (which was still very popular and Sony's current system).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
So not a lot of excitement or surprises today?

Price is right what most of us predicted many months ago. Not too crazy with the color choices, hopefully they switch them up more often or new colors with different game bundles. Release date is the last Sunday in March like many speculated as soon as it missed the 2010 launch.

Any surprise games announced? was there a Metroid shown? New Mario game? anything exciting?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Nope, wait for E3. However, Neal has told us there's a Metroid: Other M stage in Dead or Alive. We are waiting for more details before running that story.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
I am a little surprised that no launch games have been confirmed yet.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
Too expensive for me.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
I am a little surprised that no launch games have been confirmed yet.

Sounds like it's time for another 3DS poll :)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
Was Paper Mario confirmed before this event?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
yes

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
The thing about the price is that Sony and Microsoft might very well announce another price drop in the fifty dollar range for their consoles. This puts Nintendo in a situation where they are ompeting against HD console with a handheld that is bolstering six to ten-year-old graphics. I see Nintendo owering the price to about $219.99 by years end. Also, come to think about it, what will the trade-in value for the DS systems, particularly the DSi because I own one, will be towards the 3DS? If it is fifty or sixty dollars for a DSi then I am on board for the 3DS. If not, Nintendo can keep it, or atleast for now.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
It was actually one of the very first 3DS games announced last year.

Kytim, the graphics are much better than anything out 10 years ago. Also, handhelds and consoles are two different markets (except in Japan, where handhelds have become the standard). Console prices won't have any influence.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »

Kytim, the graphics are much better than anything out 10 years ago. Also, handhelds and consoles are two different markets (except in Japan, where handhelds have become the standard). Console prices won't have any influence.

If I had to choose between a $250 3DS and $250 PS3 I am tempted to get the home console. Also, the 3DS appears to be on par graphically with the PS2/Gamecube/PSP, and those were early 2000s consoles, so it should be priced accordingly. Lastly, where does Reggie get the nerve to say that the 3DS could be priced as high as $300-400?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »
Seriously, people are "worried" about the price of the 3DS? People pay $600 for an iPad, they pay $300 for netbooks when a full sized, similarly priced Laptop smokes it. The handheld market, does NOT compete with the console market. Portable machines are just that, portable and have their own market, or has no one been paying attention for the last few decades?

3DS is a powerful handheld machine with new technology. It is far from being "5-6 years old". That is like saying the iPhone 4 graphics capabilities are "4-6 years old" because it doesn't compare to the 360. It is silly.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

If I had to choose between a $250 3DS and $250 PS3 I am tempted to get the home console. Also, the 3DS appears to be on par graphically with the PS2/Gamecube/PSP, and those were early 2000s consoles, so it should be priced accordingly. Lastly, where does Reggie get the nerve to say that the 3DS could be priced as high as $300-400?

It is called marketing, the fact is that it isn't priced that high is what matters. Anyone familiar with PR will see statements like that all the time, just takes different forms.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Under that logic, the GBA should have been $50 at launch because it was basically SNES level graphics. You can go with the PSP2 and expect to pay $400 for a handheld, I will live in the real world. Also, Reggie never said that, please read the post. He said that the people in focus groups felt it was worth that much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Get your $250 home console and take your make-believe world somewhere else.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.