Author Topic: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata to Keynote GDC 2011  (Read 2044 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo's Satoru Iwata to Keynote GDC 2011
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »

The President of Nintendo will keynote March's Game Developers Conference for the fourth time.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24712

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's president, will keynote the 2011 Game Developers Conference on March 2.

His presentation, entitled "Video Games Turn 25: A Historical Perspective and Vision for the Future," will focus on how developers can use the successes of the past to help them with future game development. The number in the title stems from the fact this will be the 25th GDC.

Iwata previously keynoted GDC in 2005, 2006, and 2009. In 2005, his presentation brought about the first news on the system that would eventually become the Wii. 2006 and 2009 saw reveals of portable Zelda games, with Phantom Hourglass revealed in 2006 and Spirit Tracks revealed in 2009.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata to Keynote GDC 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
I think it's obvious that the 3DS will be his main focus for this year. I would love to see some big surprises announced about it.

Interesting on the title, him saying video games turning 25.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »
"Video Games Turn 25" doesn't make sense. Even ignoring the fact that videogames have been around in some form for about 40 years, Nintendo themselves released their first videogame in 1975.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
Nintendo is Videogames and Nintendo has been Videogames since 1986 so Nintendo being Videogames is turning 25.

makes perfect sense.
This is Nintendo's world and you're just gaming in it ;)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »
His presentation, entitled "Video Games Turn 25: A Historical Perspective and Vision for the Future," will focus on how developers can use the successes of the past to help them with future game development.

Well, the head of Nintendo would know how to "use the successes of the past" to generate success in the future, especially given some of the games in the 3DS' launch window.   ::)

To be honest, I'm already sick of hearing about the 3DS and hope that this keynote has more to do with design (it is the Game Developers Conference, after all) than a smug speech hyping Nintendo's latest product, as pointless as it may be to hope as much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:18:52 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
He's going to hype Nintendo's new product, and tell developers how to design good games on it by going with retro elements like sprites and difficult gameplay with simple controls.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
Yes, it's a weird title, but it's actually a reference to the fact the GDC is turning 25.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
Leave game announcements for game conventions. This is one of the few times in the year that devs get together. Let them have their fun. I don't even think the press should go.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
was super mario bros a big deal at the first GDC?  maybe all the non-casual developers had ill-will towards nintendo back then, too
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
Super Mario Bros? Nintendo is rehashing another tired franchise....

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
I'm suprised the article leaves out that in 2005, Iwata also showed a new trailer for Twilight Princess that got everyone excited since we hadn't seen anything about the game since it's reveal at E3 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3lH9qWmks&playnext=1&list=PL1FFF3F2C32F45D59&index=32

So I think there's a good chance we could see a new Skyward Sword trailer this year since we haven't seen anything new on that game since E3 2010.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
Damn do I hope you're right.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
"I'm suprised the article leaves out"

the gaming press have a short memory.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.