Author Topic: HAY LETS TALK ABOUT PIRACY IN HERE  (Read 23693 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »

You bought a PS3? It is yours to break into, regardless of what some IP lawyers and the corporate backed DMCA FUD would like you to believe. You own that piece of equipment and can hack it, mod it, destroy it, paint it pink, or do with it whatever else you please. You'll void the warranty, but that's how ownership works. I'm sorry that you devalue the "individualistic values" that some of us have, and would rather we all be corporate automatons bending over for Sony's pleasure.

Why is it that you people fight so hard to keep yourselves enslaved? You don't benefit from corporate greed. Quite the contrary, you're being victimized by it, yet you'll fight tooth and nail to defend it. Odd.

Morari, you've been warned about this kind of overzealous anti-establishment rhetoric before.  Please knock it off.  You can make your point without turning the argument into the next foothold of the Rebel Alliance.

I approve of staging insurrections on our forums.

Quote and copied to pull out later this year. REMEMBER REMEMBER THE SOMETHING OF SOMEVEMBER

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
So while you guys were arguing......
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25136296&postcount=1 | http://twitter.com/Mathieulh#
Apparently the PS3's Bluray encryption has been completely hacked and so has the PSP.... :/

Encrypt and sign any/everything on PS3 & PSP.
The Playstation Family is now fully exposed. They have all the keys to everything and there is no firmware fix for either product.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
Hells yeah.

I don't want to jump in this argument, even though it's been fascinating. I just want to throw in my opinion real quickly. And that is, simply as a person that wants to take full advantage of any piece of equipment I own, I feel that this news is a god send.

And yes, I have and will continue to backup games I do not own (I've only done it once, but I went to gamestop and bought like 15 used games, backed them up, and then returned them. The story I told them was funny as hell). I'm not rich. I can't afford to pay around 70 bucks for games I barely have time for anyway. All the big games I've wanted I've bought, but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. Sorry but I'd rather pay for musical equipment than support a developer.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:49:51 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
And yes, I have and will continue to backup games I do not own (I've only done it once, but I went to gamestop and bought like 15 used games, backed them up, and then returned them. The story I told them was funny as hell). I'm not rich. I can't afford to pay around 70 bucks for games I barely have time for anyway. All the big games I've wanted I've bought, but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. Sorry but I'd rather pay for musical equipment than support a developer.

OK, can we all agree that this attitude is something we can all condemn?  C'mon, man, if you don't want to support the developers or even support the Used Games Industry, don't play games (especially if you don't get around to playing them anyway).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:56:33 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »
You can make your point without turning the argument into the next foothold of the Rebel Alliance.
I approve of staging insurrections on our forums.
I didn't read most of this argument because I don't hack anything. In fact, I may be the only person in the universe left with an unhacked PSP. More to the point, I believe Crimm won this debate by default despite not contributing anything to the discussion. No other points need be discussed. Please close this thread.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »

OK, can we all agree that this attitude is something we can all condemn?  C'mon, man, if you don't want to support the developers or even support the Used Games Industry, don't play games (especially if you don't get around to playing them anyway).

Just to piss you off a little, I have this to say to you - "Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
The new PSP info is awesome as well. Jesus, what a bad couple of weeks for Sony.
Sony marketed the PS3 as a Supercomputer from the time they announced it. What the hell good is a supercomputer if it can only play video games and blu-ray movies? Without the ability to install Other OS the potential of the hardware is wasted. Sony is facing lawsuits for removing that feature. Let's see what the courts say before saying Sony "had the right to remove it".

The last thing on NASA and the USAF's mind is pirating PS3 games. They (among others) were clustering thousands of PS3s together and using it as a massive supercomputer for science or whatever else they do. They certainly weren't interested in pirating free copies of Ratchet and Clank. Sony pulled the plug on it though. Ripping off consumers is one thing, but it probably isn't wise to mess with the government. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how all this plays out, but now that the PS3 is permanently hacked anyway and with the pressure of the lawsuits we may see the Other OS feature be restored.

Personally, I hope Sony comes to their senses and does bring the feature back. Sure, people can do it anyway thanks to the hack, but its just not right that someone has to resort to hacks to use something they paid for and were promised and should rightfully be theirs to use. After all, Sony did market the thing as a "supercomputer", right? And people/organizations WERE actually using it as such. Is it right that Sony went and pulled the rug out from under them when they may have invested tons of money into building these massive PS3 clusters?

They could just refuse the firmware update, turn off the auto update, and never have the cluster have access to the internet.

Now, NASA and USAF won't be able to buy Linux-able PS3s, but they have other supercomputer options. It's Sony's loss of orders from NASA, USAF, and other organizations but it looks like they aren't in the business of supplying cheap supercomputers.
Doesn't matter if they turn off updates and everything, the original PS3 models are *extremely* faulty, and I'd be surprised if half of the PS3s that the USAF bought back in the day are still working.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
I'm wondering if these latest developments might have some influence on Sony's plans for their next console. Since this generation is pretty much fucked for them I wonder if this is going to spur them into rushing out their next console sooner than they otherwise would have. They were talking about a 10 year lifecycle for the thing, but its only 4 years old and its now completely open to anyone and everyone. Would they really want to carry on for another 6+ years with something where piracy is now unstoppable and rampant?

Nintendo and Microsoft surely have their successor consoles in the works and likely to be released in the near future, so I was doubtful about that 10 year lifecycle thing to begin with, but now that the PS3 is hacked and as easily accessible as Lindsay Lohan after a few drinks, you'd think Sony would want to move on even more. It is a shame though (for them), because from what I understand they were just finally getting around to it being profitable. Oh well.

On a somewhat brighter note, this news might actually boost PS3 hardware sales. Now granted, many of those sales may be to people only interested in pirating/homebrew/linux, but I read somewhere the PS3 manufacturing costs are down to $240 which means at $299 they are no longer losing money on the hardware, and actually making some profit. So even if people are buying the hardware without buying any games its still profit for Sony on some level.

Doesn't matter if they turn off updates and everything, the original PS3 models are *extremely* faulty, and I'd be surprised if half of the PS3s that the USAF bought back in the day are still working.

I was thinking that same thing myself. And its going to be next to impossible to find working original model PS3s which haven't had their firmware's upgraded past 3.21 (or whatever the cutoff version was) in order to replace the dead units. I would imagine they see far heavier usage than an average consumer would put theirs through.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:06:00 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
I'm wondering if these latest developments might have some influence on Sony's plans for their next console. Since this generation is pretty much fucked for them I wonder if this is going to spur them into rushing out their next console sooner than they otherwise would have. They were talking about a 10 year lifecycle for the thing, but its only 4 years old and its now completely open to anyone and everyone. Would they really want to carry on for another 6+ years with something where piracy is now unstoppable and rampant?

Nintendo and Microsoft surely have their successor consoles in the works and likely to be released in the near future, so I was doubtful about that 10 year lifecycle thing to begin with, but now that the PS3 is hacked and as easily accessible as Lindsay Lohan after a few drinks, you'd think Sony would want to move on even more. It is a shame though (for them), because from what I understand they were just finally getting around to it being profitable. Oh well.

The Rat would not appreciate those sentiments. Please close this forum.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »

Pardon my ignorance. What is The Rat? What sentiments?
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »
The Rat, he's coming!!!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »

Pardon my ignorance. What is The Rat? What sentiments?

That's why you're still a kid.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

In all honesty, I only did that for my brother. He's been busting his ass in Med School, so I decided to jailbreak his PS3 and hook him up with a **** ton of games. I didn't want to pay roughly ~300 bucks, so I did the crafty thing and "rented" them from Gamestop. I'm not going to lie to you and say that what I did wasn't stealing, and I'm not going to say that since Gamestop are bastards who steal from the developers with used title sales that what I did was morally justified. What I did was work the loopholes. I've haven't lost any sleep over it and you shouldn't either.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
With Sony only just starting to profit on the PS3 last year, I don't think they are even considering the next system.

Brood, I have to agree with you on the GameStop issue. Even if you get past the legal issues; it is sleazy to buy a used game, copy it, then return the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
Good heavens. we need to ban some people. WHERE ARE YOU PALE?

On a side note, I have yet to buy a game for my PS3. No illegal games, I just rarely use it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »
Why? Because I don't condone illegal activities?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Even if you get past the legal issues; it is sleazy to buy a used game, copy it, then return the game.

Yeah it is. Its kinda like buying a PSP just to mod it to play pirated games.

I applauded Unagi. Not because I approve of piracy or what he did, but because I noticed you smitted him and I don't think you have the right to throw stones when you do the same thing yourself. Let those who are not guilty of piracy cast the first smite.

Haha! That's funny.

Everyone already knows the truth about you so STFU.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:47:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
I wasn't talking about you, Thomas Jane, I was talking about the dirty pirates!

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »

In all honesty, I only did that for my brother. He's been busting his ass in Med School, so I decided to jailbreak his PS3 and hook him up with a **** ton of games. I didn't want to pay roughly ~300 bucks, so I did the crafty thing and "rented" them from Gamestop. I'm not going to lie to you and say that what I did wasn't stealing, and I'm not going to say that since Gamestop are bastards who steal from the developers with used title sales that what I did was morally justified. What I did was work the loopholes. I've haven't lost any sleep over it and you shouldn't either.

This is why we can't have nice things. And buying used games period is no different from piracy when you can buy new. If it wasn't for people like you we wouldn't have closed systems. It's not gamestop fault for allowing selling and return the games nor the crackers fault for breaking the security to allow them to be copied, it's the people that uses them to steal (and Sony's for failing to uphold their promise to protect their I.P. rights and system security due to stupidity) that are solely to blame.

Even if you get past the legal issues; it is sleazy to buy a used game, copy it, then return the game.

Yeah it is. Its kinda like buying a PSP just to mod it to play pirated games.

I applauded Unagi. Not because I approve of piracy or what he did, but because I noticed you smitted him and I don't think you have the right to throw stones when you do the same thing yourself. Let those who are not guilty of piracy cast the first smite.

Haha! That's funny.

Everyone already knows the truth about you so STFU.

Stop attacking TJ, no one thinks he pirates and everyone know he's a hypocrite already.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:10:11 PM by stevey »
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
and I'm not going to say that since Gamestop are bastards who steal from the developers with used title sales that what I did was morally justified. What I did was work the loopholes.

How are they stealing? Is a car dealership "stealing" from car companies by selling used cars? Is the Volunteers of America stealing from clothing companies by selling used clothes? Are people selling stuff on eBay or garage sales stealing? No, because selling used products isn't wrong.

For the record, I do NOT pirate games and the reason I am against modding in general is because sadly most people will use it to pirate games or do very shady/borderline illegal stuff (like ripping a game and then returning it). If there was a way to let people mod a system without being able to put copyrighted games on it, I would support it. That is why I am so against it, whether I modded in the past or not doesn't matter. I think it's fine, for example, to want to be able to play DVDs on your Wii since the ability is there and they promised it 4 years ago.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
whether I modded in the past or not doesn't matter. I think it's fine, for example, to want to be able to play DVDs on your Wii since the ability is there and they promised it 4 years ago.

So now it's ok to hack a Wii to get DVD playback, a feature that was never promised, but only mentioned back before the system came out., but you should have your PS3 bricked for hacking it to put your Linux back on there which was a feature that was present when the system was purchased.....

you really should stop typing and think about what you are posting before you hit send. The self-righteous hypocrisy is strong in you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
So now it's ok to hack a Wii to get DVD playback, a feature that was never promised, but only mentioned back before the system came out., but you should have your PS3 bricked for hacking it to put your Linux back on there which was a feature that was present when the system was purchased.....

you really should stop typing and think about what you are posting before you hit send. The self-righteous hypocrisy is strong in you.

Here is Reggie flat out promising a Wii with DVD playback: http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/94095/nintendo-q-a-reggie-fils-aimes-talks-future-of-wii/ (the specific quote from him is "You probably know that a premium version of Wii with a DVD player will be available in the future in some markets."). This was from a January 2007 interview.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
Maybe so, but they didn't build, advertise and sell a system with the dvd feature and remove it later after people had spent money on it.  No shop standard Wii has dvd playback, nor was it ever sold in that capacity.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:29:27 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
BnM hit the nail on the head. I applaud him.

I think it's fine, for example, to want to be able to play DVDs on your Wii since the ability is there and they promised it 4 years ago.

The ability to install/use Linux is in the PS3 as well, and was promised by Sony. Your double standards are inconsistent and make no sense.

ETA: and as Shorty just pointed out, the Other OS feature in the PS3 was more than just promised, it was actually included in the product for a time. Maybe Nintendo promised DVD playback, but at least they didn't include it and then strip it out the way Sony did with Other OS. Its one thing to never deliver something, and another thing to actually deliver and then renege it.

the reason I am against modding in general

But you admitted you bought a used PSP for the one and only reason that it was easy to mod. Were you lying then or are you lying now? Or did someone hijack your account a few days ago and post that in your name just to make you look bad? Please explain instead of being evasive.

whether I modded in the past or not doesn't matter.

It does matter, because you are so against it now and you wish for people who mod to have their PS3 bricked. Would you be okay if your modded PSP (and whatever other modded hardware you have) ends up getting bricked a long with everyone else's stuff? You are brandishing a torch and pitchfork and saying these people who mod are pirates and should be punished, but what about yourself?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:37:08 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...