Author Topic: Mario's 25th Anniversary Collection?  (Read 22925 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Mario's 25th Anniversary Collection?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Yokota: I was a working adult. I think I was about 23 or 24. I had just gotten married and was playing video games at home...

Iwata: And you said to your wife, "Listen to the music in this video game!"

Yokota: Yeah! (laughs) I was raving to her about how great Kondo-san's music was. (to Kondo-san) Have I ever told you that story?

Kondo: (tilts head in silence)

Everyone: (laughs)

Classic  ;D

Kondo: (clapping) "Yokota-kun*, that's cooool!"

Kondo: What a truly amazing analysis.

Yokota: I feel like that's the first time you ever complimented me.

Iwata: You prepare them with music.

Yokota: Exactly. We have them get ready ahead of time.

Iwata: Well, Kondo-san, is he right?

Kondo: (happy) Yeah!

Iwata: I see you're the type who just can't rest until you share songs that you like with other people! (laughs)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:02:39 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
Picked up my pre-order today but won't be able to crack it open until the 25th.

According to the guy at my local EB, I was the smartest person he had seen all day since I paid it off last month (when I still had a job).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
When I asked the guy at GameStop if they had a copy, he said they only had enough for pre-orders and tried to BS me by saying I might not be able to get the game at all. I guess I will just go to Toys R Us or Kmart (both of which advertised the game in their weekly ads this week).

I just bought the game at Game Craze (not Game Crazy), haven't played it yet.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:56:13 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
It's a neat little slice of history but I would have gladly paid more if Nintendo included more than SNES Super Mario All-Stars. I feel like this was a wasted opportunity. This could have been the ultimate Mario collection including every single 2D Mario-related platformer ever created across all pre-Wii/DS platforms. They could have remade each game with Wario Land Shake It caliber graphics (and widescreen), included the original/DX/Advance versions. Wishful thinking, I know. Considering Mario's place in video game history, I felt like he deserved something far grander than a re-release of a 17 year old game. There's always the 50th anniversary.... a girl can dream....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
When I asked the guy at GameStop if they had a copy, he said they only had enough for pre-orders and tried to BS me by saying I might not be able to get the game at all.
I'd be wary of anything a GameStop employee says too, but in this case, he may not have been saying BS. This game is a limited edition, and I'm not so sure it is going to even get a second shipment. So this first batch may be all that gets shipped to stores.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
I get the feeling this game's "Limited Edition" status will vanish if and when the game sells well, though perhaps the booklet and CD will be removed from future shipments.  Nintendo does like its money, especially when it has to do very little to get it.  I'm looking forward to getting this for Christmas (I haven't played Mario 2 in years, and All-Stars is the only way I want to play Marios 1 and 3), though I'm a little taken aback by just how lazy this collection is.  They didn't even bother changing the in-game controller diagrams to show Wii controllers, and from what I've heard half the "soundtrack" is sound effects.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »
I posted the soundtrack list on the previous page:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32333.msg646115#msg646115

Do Virtual Console games with controller diagrams have them changed to show the Wii controller?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »
Do Virtual Console games with controller diagrams have them changed to show the Wii controller?

I believe in the Wii Home Menu instruction manual they do, but otherwise they do not.  However, Virtual Console games also do not ship on Wii retail discs with Wii retail disc pricing.  I would expect at least a modicum of effort from Nintendo on something they hype as an Anniversary Collection.  At least it supports the Classic Controller.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:13:42 PM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »
$30 is Wii Retail Pricing?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »

Compared to the $8 price this game would have on the Virtual Console, yes.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »

Except that it's not on there, so to compare it to VC pricing would be folly.  And you said "Wii Retail Disc Pricing".  It's $30.  Some people think it's a great deal.  Others do not.  No one is being forced to purchase it...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 09:58:06 AM »
Except that it's not on there, so to compare it to VC pricing would be folly.  And you said "Wii Retail Disc Pricing".  It's $30.  Some people think it's a great deal.  Others do not.  No one is being forced to purchase it...

I'm not sure if this is worthwhile or not.  Buying original versions of all four NES Mario games on Virtual Console is cheaper, especially since it's reasonable to assume that many people have already downloaded at least one of those four games to their Wii.  But having a physical game definitely provides value (not to mention the extras that come packed in).  Might have to buy a copy just because of the "limited" nature.  If this is anything like Metroid Prime Trilogy then it probably won't be widely available for long.

Point being: I think it's a pretty reasonable deal... just not sure if I have $30 sitting around.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:03:40 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »

I'm guessing that if Nintendo had put it on the VC at all, it would have put it in the $12~15 price range, as they would have wanted to avoid cannabalizing individual sales of the Mario games on VC.  Still, it would have been less than $30.

I decided to buy it just because, in this case, I want the physical disc.  I no longer have my SNES or the games.  I foolishly sold off a lot of my old stuff because of the promise of the Virtual Console; I had just gotten married at the time and we needed to get rid of unneeded clutter, anyway.  It's still a sore point with me that there's still little guarantee from Nintendo that we could carry those VC purchases to a the Wii's successor (though that remains to be seen, I suppose).

There's at least a chance that this Wii disc will be playable on a future system.

The lack of Super Mario World, at the very least, sort of stinks, though.  I would have loved to have seen Yoshi's Island as well, since that's not on the VC, either.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »

Um, you do realize this is more than 1 game? First, it would be $21 worth of VC games. Second, all of them are enhanced. The book is neat but not something I will read again and the soundtrack is pathetic (half of the 20 tracks are 5 second sound effects). Still, you would be delusional to think this would have been $8 on VC, especially since they are superior to the VC versions.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »

Um, you do realize this is more than 1 game? First, it would be $21 worth of VC games. Second, all of them are enhanced. The book is neat but not something I will read again and the soundtrack is pathetic (half of the 20 tracks are 5 second sound effects). Still, you would be delusional to think this would have been $8 on VC, especially since they are superior to the VC versions.

This is a port of an SNES game.  SNES games on the VC cost $8 ($9 if imported).  None of the games are enhanced from their original SNES incarnations.  The only work Nintendo did on this game was make sure the Home button doesn't crash anything and program Classic Controller support.  Otherwise, this is an SNES Virtual Console title on a disc.  Even if Nintendo were to jack up the price to gouge users for an old SNES game, it probably still wouldn't go higher than $15.

And just to reiterate, my big problem with the cost of this collection is that Nintendo did almost no work to justify that price.  The game is an SNES ROM, with no changes made for the Wii incarnation outside of some coding for the various controllers (which we already get as part of the package with Virtual Console titles).  And from the reaction the CD and booklet have gotten, they are nice but not $22 nice.  That's why I asked for this collection for Christmas instead of purchasing it myself.  It's not worth the price Nintendo put it out for.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:01:12 AM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
A compilation game will not be on any of the download services, period. Nobody would buy the plain NES versions when they can have the superior re-makes. The game is well worth the price, and sales have indicated that people think it is worth it. $15 would have been a huge discount for fans, not gouging.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »
I foolishly sold off a lot of my old stuff because of the promise of the Virtual Console; I had just gotten married at the time and we needed to get rid of unneeded clutter, anyway.
The lesson here is to not get married. Duly noted. :)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
I find a certain irony to what was once the best example of how to handle a re-release (multiple games in one package with enhancements) is now the absolute worst example (straight port with absolutely nothing new).

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
I find a certain irony to what was once the best example of how to handle a re-release (multiple games in one package with enhancements) is now the absolute worst example (straight port with absolutely nothing new).

It's worth noting that the original All-Stars was not just a compilation of NES ROMs.  The games were rebuilt using SNES visuals, making All-Stars essentially a compilation of SNES remakes of NES classics (with a port of Super Mario World attached in later version).  By comparison, this disc is just an SNES port with some quaint packaging frills.

Offline PogueSquadron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »
It's a shame that the package wasn't more special than it was.  They didn't even change the visuals in the game's menus (the control layout is still an SNES controller, for instance).  I mean, if Mario's 25th is so special, why just burn Mario All-Stars to a disc? No video interviews with Miyamoto?  Behind the scenes stuff?  Insights on the games' creation?  If this was a DVD rerelease of a movie that came out years ago, it would get killed in the reviews.

It would've been great to see the games redone in way similar to NSMB with better graphical and audio fidelity.  That's what was so cool about the original Super Mario All-Stars to begin with.  Seeing the classics in a new light.  We've seen these versions of the games on the SNES and the GBA already (at least with Mario 2 and 3).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
In retrospect Super Mario All-Stars is one of the only times Nintendo re-released old games in a way that didn't seem like a rip-off in some way.  It always feels like they charge too much or release it in place of a new game or they change it in an unwelcome way (lowering difficultly, voices).  But Super Mario All-Stars was four games and they updated them but not in a way that mucked around with the gameplay.  And they included Lost Levels which for Westerners was like a brand new Mario game.  So even you had the other three and didn't feel like getting them again, it was worth owning just for the "new" game.

It's very NOT Nintendo.  I tend to think of Nintendo as, unfortunately, a company that tries to get every last cent out of their customers.  Throwing a SNES ROM on a disc and charging $30 for it?  That's very Nintendo.  Releasing each Mario game on the GBA at the same price as a new game, while mucking with the gameplay, while very obviously NOT releasing a new Mario game for the GBA, while marketing SMB2 as "Super Mario Advance" as if it's a new title, is very Nintendo.  The original Super Mario All-Stars is actually a tremendous value and that sets it apart.  You wonder if Nintendo originally took a bath on it or something and then become super stingy with all re-releases afterwards.

In theory it doesn't make sense to release this on the VC because then only purists would buy the NES originals.  But Sega released the arcade versions of Altered Beast and Golden Axe.  Why would anyone now buy the inferior Genesis versions of those games?  Capcom has released SFII, SFII Turbo, and Super SFII on the VC.  Why would anyone buy the original when the later versions are clearly superior?  I could see a real hardcore SF nut getting Turbo over Super as the subtleties of those games is different but Turbo pretty much includes all of the original and makes it redundant.  But Capcom's and Sega's plan is to get people to buy the old inferior version first and then later release the better one and maybe get them to buy it again.  There is no plan to sell the original SFII anymore.  That was just to grab early adopters.  Therefore Nintendo could very well have released Super Mario All-Stars on the VC with the intention that the original versions are no longer expected to sell and thus had a limited sales life.  Meanwhile, perhaps, some people who bought the originals will buy All-Stars as well.  I imagine for those older VC games, those that wanted them bought them already.  Aside from new Wii owners the original games probably are not big sellers anymore.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
The problem is that the NES originals are still among the top selling games on the VC, likely because new Wii owners probably want to replay their favorite games from their childhood. How many people bought any either version of Altered Beast for example?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
[...]while marketing SMB2 as "Super Mario Advance" as if it's a new title, is very Nintendo.

I could see how you might think that.  If you ignored the giant splash on the front of the box that says "Featuring Super Mario Bros. 2 and Classic Arcade Mario Bros.".  Then, on the back of the box where it says "Two classics, one pak!", "Super Mario Bors. 2 and Mario bros., togeter in one Game Pak", and "[...]that made NES Super Mario Bros. 2 a smash hit"... yeah, if you ignore all of that, you might think it was a new game

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
I finally opened Super Mario All-Stars and played it on my 40 inch LCD. Ow, my eyes....

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
I finally opened Super Mario All-Stars and played it on my 40 inch LCD. Ow, my eyes....

Same here when I put in SMB 2 through the collection today.  Ouch...