Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 265809 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »
The trackpad on the back still makes a lot sense; touch controls without getting in the way of the action on the screen while gaming. Then have the touchscreen for browsing, pinch to zoom, etc. and maybe even some quick icons while gaming.

Sony won't be looking to subsidize 3G with the cost of the system, but rather subsidize the cost of the system with 3G, like all the other tablets out there do. No calling despite 3G further screams tablet to me, and also means I won't be buying one.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
People say that 3G without a phone function makes no sense, but wouldn't it be for a whispernet function like the Kindle has?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
Does the ipad have a phone function?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »

Not officially, but there are Apps that basically let you use it like a phone.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »

Not officially, but there are Apps that basically let you use it like a phone.

them I would expect no less for a 3G enabled PSP2.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
The PSP2 is going to have full internet capabilities, no whispernet.

I'm pretty sure the iPad does not have calling features (I'll check and if it does I'll edit) and I also think that might be why the iPad app store is separate from the iPod/Phone app store, because the iPod store has an app(more than one?) that allows you to make calls over Wifi.

Sony not giving the PSP2 calling, is the same as Apple not giving the iPad calling; they want to sell two devices. I really wish people would revolt against this practice, as anything subsidized through a wireless carrier should include calling features, even mobile broadband routers, imo.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
MaryJane, there is a Skype App for iPad. The iPad also has a mic, so there is nothing stopping you from making calls with it. It may not be the best option, but it is there.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
Ok, but still, Skype isn't universal, and maybe one day soon my argument will be moot because of things like Skype but it's still ridiculous that their intentionally gimping products so they can sell more products.

One day we will move to an internet only based system of cell phones, tablets, and other mobile devices, but that day is going to be slow in coming because wireless carriers have a stranglehold on such products (because they're too expensive to sell without their help) and will drag their feet in making that transition.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
If it's encouraging/discouraging, Sony charges $399.99 for a MP3 player that has 32GB of storage, a 3 inch OLED touch screen, and Wi-Fi.
I'm assuming the noise canceling headphones is the difference maker here because most people would just buy and have bought an iPod instead. And here I thought the Zune HD was a bad choice...

Still, Sony is outside their minds if they think a $400 handheld is going to fly, especially when they're not Nintendo and are likely bringing nothing new to the table besides maybe the rear trackpad and even then that serves the same basic function as a touchscreen (which should still be there as well anyway). Nintendo has a lot of positive buzz surrounding 3DS but there are still a lot of people turned off by the price. Begs to reason that Sony would face even greater hurdles in terms of price since PSP is the lesser brand. Additionally, we all know revisions for both 3DS and PSP2 inevitable as well. These are people who aren't biting until the hardware improves (i.e. battery life etc) AND the price issue is amended. While it shouldn't surprise me considering this is the same Sony that launched a $600 console, I'd still be simply baffled if they launched a $400 PSP2. They got trounced by Nintendo playing the hardware card. Try something new, dammit.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 23, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
They are trying something new: it's a gaming tablet PC.

The PSPhone proves their interest in combining hardware, and their other big hardware is computers.

Don't be surprised when they make TVs with built-in PS3s soon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:02:23 PM by MaryJane »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
With how much  hassle I hear it its to get PS3 fixed, who really wants to send in their whole TV?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #311 on: January 23, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »
That really sucks, and is completely impractical.  Why place the analog sticks on top?  It sucks and looks heavy.  Sony will come up with a much better design...maybe.
How does that look heavy? It's the same basic shape of the PSP which, I thought, wasn't too hefty. The placement of the Playstation button is the only really impractical part. It's positioned right where your hand would rest so accidentally pressing it would be annoying.

I think Sony is going to go with a slider to conserve space. This would also allow them to place the buttons any way they please which will likely mimic the Dual Shock. The screen will probably be the same size as the original PSP but at a higher resolution.

To be fair...I thought the PSP was heavy...t me it was all about the length of the system and the weight being in the middle...it just wasn't comfortable to hold for me personally.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
With how much  hassle I hear it its to get PS3 fixed, who really wants to send in their whole TV?

When I had to send in my PS3 to get fixed it wasn't a hassle, except that I had to start at square one with saves and downloading all my PSN games ( I unfortunately didn't have a backup harddrive) the biggest hassle was the $150 repair fee. But I was without a PS3 for a week, that's how fast Sony's turn around is.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »
I still wouldn't wanna be a week without my TV and shipping something like that would be very tedious on my part unless Sony sent someone to pick it up. Even then, I still don't wanna demount, then package it up.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 23, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
It wouldn't be difficult for Sony to separate the PS3 functions from the TV function so that if something happens to the PS3, your TV still works. Then they could partner with Geek Squad to do in-home repairs.

It might not happen, but with a PSPhone, and PSTablet(PSP2) on the way, is a PS3TV really that far-fetched?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
I just did a quick google search. I couldn't find any confirmation that the PSP2 is a gaming tablet. Care to provide a link?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 23, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
It hasn't been confirmed but the CEO of Sony has made mention a few times of wanting to combine tablets and phones with the Playstation brand. Btw, Sony hasn't yet confirmed that they're making PSPhone, it's just a badly kept secret.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
Same with the PSP2. Everyone knows its coming, but Sony hasn't even confirmed its existence.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
Someone order a Playstation built into a TV?

Sure, it's a PS2, but we're probably a year away at most from a similar option with a Triple.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »
yeah, we've seen that before and that's not really "built in" but more "attached to" and it's pretty ugly.
If that's all they have in mind, then all they really need is a custom TV rack with a PS shelf so that you can add and remove your PS at will.

If they are gonna build it in, then they should spread the electronics out so that they can make it really thin and only have a disc drive slot on the side next to any necessary USB slots for the PS3. All other inputs should be located on the back and the other side of the TV.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:38:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
There are rumors that the screen of the PSP2 is going to incorporate something called organic light-emitting diodes for its screen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode

http://kotaku.com/5741331/psp2-will-have-3g-connectivity-and-a-very-fancy-screen
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
A dollar short and a day late ;)

Andriasang found that the Nikkei put up some info about the PSP2, after hearing some of the tech PSP2 supposedly has, I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $400 - 500 minimum. I also wonder how will Sony deal with wireless providers in the other regions and if 3G requires a monthly fee.

Quote from: Andriasang.com
According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 24, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
I place a bet that the PSP2 will use a Sony crafted game cartridge similar to either a memory stick or some kind of rip off of the 3DS cartridge. Of course what happens to UMB games of the PSP? Stronger support on PSN than the PSPgo had seems likley to happen.

Also, why can't Sony have a glasses free 3D screen on the PSP 2?

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #323 on: January 24, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Becuz Sony invented 3-D, and proper 3-D can only be seen with their glasses on their Televisions.  Sony will let everyone know when glasses-free 3-D is possible for true handheld systems when the time is right.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
I do give Sony a lot of credit for using an OLED screen, but Samsung has AMOLED which offer better clarity and color reproduction. Sammy is having trouble producing enough of them for their own products, but I'm surprised Nintendo didn't  use some fancy, super-clear, screens for the 3DS (like retina display, SuperLCD, etc.) and Sony didn't come out with their own screens for the new PSP devices.

Also, Sony, like everyone else is playing wait and see with the 3DS just like they did with the Wiis motion controls. If the 3DS ends up giving everyone headaches (I'm sure they tested long game sessions with their focus groups) Sony can sit back and laugh and market the PSP2 as a headache free device, which they may do anyway. It would be a lie (potentially) but it would make people doubt, and that's often enough.