Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 264864 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2011, 04:52:47 AM »
Yes the PSP has sold well in hardware but it's software sales outside of Japan are terrible.  The PSP has sold about sold 3 times as many systems as the Gamecube and yet the Gamecube has sold more total software then the PSP has and that's still with Japan's software sales added were the Monster Hunter series has sold millions.  If you remove the Japanese sales for PSP software and just look at America and Europe it's a complete disaster.

Nobody in America and Europe are buying a PSP for it's software or should I say for it's legal software.  Considering Sony sells the system at a loss, I doubt they're happy with the systems performance outside of Japan were everyone is buying it only to pirate software in which case Sony only losses money no matter how many units of the hardware they sell.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »
All the more reason for consumers to look forward to the successor. Maybe not the Devs and Publishers, but "Consumers" probably can't wait to get their hands on it.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
Chances are that they will call it PSP2 without having ever thought to do anything different.
Some of you may see the PSP as a failure, but it is still the #1 best selling handheld gaming system that wasn't made by Nintendo and has out sold Nintendo next best competitor by a very wide margin.

The DS may have outsold the PSP by more than 2 to 1, but to even have sold a 1/3 what the DS has(over 130mill)  is a major accomplishment that no other handheld gaming device has come close to doing.

what about ios devices(100 mill), or are you only counting hand helds with buttons/gamepad

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
Sony can (potentially) release the PSP2 at $500 because it is (rumored to be) so powerful that not making it a computer as well would be foolish.

I know I've said this like a hundred times, but, the PSP2 will be a tablet, or at least marketed as such. An at least 5" touchscreen, touchpad on the back, serious horsepower (for 1080p movies, multitasking, rendering DNA strands, etc.) and gaming controls make it a unique tablet in what is soon to be a very saturated market.

If I were Sony I'd also include calling because the assumed $300 price difference would be enough to separate it from the PSPhone's market, but that is unlikely, especially in the U.S where the Galaxy Tab had its calling abilities removed at the request of wireless carriers who are subsidizing it (where's the Consumer Protection Agency when you need it?).

Tablets are the hot new thing right now, and combining it with the nearly failed PSP makes a lot of sense to boost the viability of both. There are a lot of people out there who prefer a one handed tablet to the iPad because it increases usability; you can use it more easily when walking (dangerous, yes, but still...) or when seated but not at a table.

Personally, I'm waiting for HTC to announce their tablet which is rumored to have a 7" screen and dual core Tegra 2 (and keeping my fingers crossed that it'll make calls) but I'm also interested in the potential of a PSPTablet (PSPT? PST? PS(P)Tab?) because of the gaming aspect.

It is FAR too early to say the PSP2 is going to fail. Nintendo went after non-gamers with the DS and Wii, now Sony is looking to satisfy the tech geeks that are becoming more and more common as tech gets "cooler" and more mainstream with the PSPhone and tablet, that really may do everything.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
Chances are that they will call it PSP2 without having ever thought to do anything different.
Some of you may see the PSP as a failure, but it is still the #1 best selling handheld gaming system that wasn't made by Nintendo and has out sold Nintendo next best competitor by a very wide margin.

The DS may have outsold the PSP by more than 2 to 1, but to even have sold a 1/3 what the DS has(over 130mill)  is a major accomplishment that no other handheld gaming device has come close to doing.

what about ios devices(100 mill), or are you only counting hand helds with buttons/gamepad

Those aren't gaming devices. They can play games, but that is not their primary function (DVD players can play games too, but you wouldn't count them).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »

Those aren't gaming devices. They can play games, but that is not their primary function (DVD players can play games too, but you wouldn't count them).

Just like the current PSP! :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
please show me the dvd player i can play game dev story on, or final fantasy, or mega man 2,  or phoenix wright, or plants verus zombies , or mother fucking PEGGLE

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
@leroy

I clearly said handheld gaming device, iPod/Touch/Phone are not gaming devices, atleast not dedicated like the DS & PSP.
They have more and better games being made available, but they were never built with gamin in mind.

And dozens of Disney DVD's have had interactive "games" on the DVD's.
Even something like Final Destination had that Know Your Death Date "game" on the DVD.
just because they don't play the games you want doesn't mean it doesn't play games, it's just not a gaming device and never really was meant to be one.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »
so then since computers were not initially developed with the sole purpose of gaming, shall we degrade that platform as well.? i dont mean to sound combative and i do understand where you are coming from but to compare ios to disney movies and final destination is lolz.  Though if final destination sold 100 million i would consider it.  and yes there is no way to dispute that ios was not designed for gaming but that is irrelevant to me.  Apple got lucky and had a diamond in the rough platform for games,  dont hold it against them that they are the only one who offers technology from 2011 (adequate web browsing, mp3 support, video playback, an actual processor, a usable amount of memory, a camera that isnt  .3 mp,  3g support, ect).

for the record to i am super pumped for psp2 or whatever they feel like calling it

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
lol wut?

I never said that iSeries isn't capapble of gaming, just that it wasn't built with gaming in mind. It was a media player first, then they added phone capabilities and then games started being made for the platform. They never said lets make an iPod, a device for gaming, then lets make this gaming iPod a phone.... oh yeah, it would also be pretty cool if it played music and other media too.

And I never once compared the iSeries to a bunch of DVD players. I followed up on your comment to TJ's comment that just because something can play games doesn't mean that is what it was built for. There have been DVD movies over the last decade or so that have had games on them. Doesn't make the DVD player a dedicated gaming system.

I originally made it clear that I was talking about dedicated handheld gaming and you brought up iPhone and family. I clarified what I was talking about and it was never about Apple and their iProduct, so I don't know why that seems to be a hot button for you.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
clearly i misunderstood you blacknmild. i misinterpreted what you were comparing.  so yes i see your point while ios devices do similar things the point of your post  was to compare the dedicated handheld gaming market, and not simply hand held devices that play games.  so  i see your point.   and a well made point it was!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2011, 03:37:02 AM »
Bloomberg: Sony PSP2 to debut next week, PlayStation Phone at MWC
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/bloomberg-sony-psp2-to-debut-next-week-playstation-phone-at-mw/
according to Bloomberg and its pair of sources, Sony Computer Entertainment's Tokyo event on January 27th is indeed the platform from which it'll unveil the next PSP, and next month at Mobile World Congress will be where we finally meet -- officially, that is -- the PlayStation Phone. Next week's press conference will also reportedly "outline a strategy to use its networked entertainment services to share games, movies and music among handheld products, TVs and other devices." Not much else to say at this point, so just sit back, relax, and wait for the other guys to do their presentation, first.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
Spot Art
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »
so?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
you could atleast post where the pic came from
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3183093
(it's an artist rendering)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
So it's just a mockup based on the rumored info? This kind of stuff is always fun to look at though, seeing what people predict a system will look like. The DS had some especially weird ones.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »
That really sucks, and is completely impractical.  Why place the analog sticks on top?  It sucks and looks heavy.  Sony will come up with a much better design...maybe.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »
I think the analog nubs might actually be easier to use up top like that.
But I wouldn't really know unless I tried it for myself.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
I have to agree: that PSP2 mock-up is horrendous.  The face buttons are placed in such a manor that they'd be difficult to use quickly and easily in games that use both sticks.  Then there's the Start and Select button at the bottom of the interface, where they're hardest to get to (always a handy trait in something usually assigned "pause" functionality).  Plus, with the sticks as they are, the user has to look down through their hands to see the screen.  The D-pad being directly below the left analog stick isn't exactly ideal either, though that's not a huge issue as we saw with the GameCube controller.  The real PSP2 will probably have a layout much more practical.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:30:29 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »

Andriasang found that the Nikkei put up some info about the PSP2, after hearing some of the tech PSP2 supposedly has, I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $400 - 500 minimum. I also wonder how will Sony deal with wireless providers in the other regions and if 3G requires a monthly fee.

Quote from: Andriasang.com
According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:20:56 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
I was just about to post this.

3G and an OLED touch screen.
I wonder if the touch pad on back is still in?

edit: Oh and $499.99
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:27:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
I was just about to post this.

3G and an OLED touch screen.
I wonder if the touch pad on back is still in?

edit: Oh and $499.99

I still got it in me ;).

I doubt that there will be a touch pad or track pad on the back, makes little sense to me and those kind of trackpads on Motorola Android phones sucked.

Anyways, even if all games for PSP2 will be digital, I predict that you will still see PSP2 games that cost $30 - $50 because no game company in their right mind would charge $2 - $10 for a game with a huge budget. However, I can still see Sony continuing the PSP Minis line for cheapo games that are similar to the ones found on iPhone.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
That really sucks, and is completely impractical.  Why place the analog sticks on top?  It sucks and looks heavy.  Sony will come up with a much better design...maybe.
How does that look heavy? It's the same basic shape of the PSP which, I thought, wasn't too hefty. The placement of the Playstation button is the only really impractical part. It's positioned right where your hand would rest so accidentally pressing it would be annoying.

I think Sony is going to go with a slider to conserve space. This would also allow them to place the buttons any way they please which will likely mimic the Dual Shock. The screen will probably be the same size as the original PSP but at a higher resolution.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
There's no way they could subsidize the cost of 3G with the system price like the Kindle did. It only worked for the Kindle because you could only download small book files. Gaming would be too taxing on a network not to require a monthly fee. I can't see too many people paying for that either.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 23, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
If it's encouraging/discouraging, Sony charges $399.99 for a MP3 player that has 32GB of storage, a 3 inch OLED touch screen, and Wi-Fi.