Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 544561 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1575 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »
Looks like I'll be getting Street Fighter, then following that up with Pilotwings when it releases.  That's enough for me.  There are lots of DSi Artstyle games I haven't played that I want to download (still rocking the pink DSlite).

Assuming you can download them on launch day.
Also assuming those games are launch games.

WHAT ARE THE LAUNCH GAMES!! LAUNCH VC, LAUNCH 3DSiware ???

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »
Maybe if you use even bigger letters Nintendo will hear you and personally come to your house and reveal the full launch lineup. Or maybe you just have to wait like the rest of us.

So, the event is over but there are a lot of unanswered questions:

1. WHAT ARE THE LAUNCH GAMES??

2. How much internal storage?

3. Is anyone besides Nintendo going to support the AR functionality? Especially for a full game, like it's used in Face Raiders?

4. Is 3DSWare only going to feature 3D games?

5. What kind of 3D content is the 3DS going to have access to?

6. What is the IR sensor on the back for?

Then there are questions generated by the event itself:

1. Will 3DS Miis be transferable to the Wii2? ;)

2. When are the Nintendo eShop and DSiWare transfers going to be available?

3. What are the details/options for Street Pass and Spot Pass? And are they one word or not?

I'm as excited as ever for the 3DS launch, but I really wish Nintendo would be more forthcoming with information instead of leaving us hanging as they do with every hardware launch.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 20, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
In other words, there was never any hope for the 3DS to have launched Q4 2010 like many of us and all of the investors were hoping.

?  I'm not sure what you mean here.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 20, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
For first-party stuff, I can make a guess based on which games have fact sheets:

nintendogs + cats
Steel Diver
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pilotwings Resort
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 64 3D

Of course, third parties are defining launch window as the first three months, so it's hard to say exactly what's going on.

If Kid Icarus is a launch title here in the states then I will buy the 3DS on day one.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1579 on: January 20, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
It most certainly is not.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 20, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
In other words, there was never any hope for the 3DS to have launched Q4 2010 like many of us and all of the investors were hoping.

?  I'm not sure what you mean here.

It seems pretty clear to me, but I guess I can explain it anyways.
Nintendo announced in March of last year. Nintendo has had a policy over the last few years to not announce 1st party projects unless it was gonna be released within 6 or so months. I know their announcement was forced because a partner was announcing their 3D screens, but we figured that E3 was originally their big plan for announcement and Holiday 2010 was their original plan for release. (almost)Everyone was speculating Holiday 2010 release including the board of investors, because after the Investors meeting in Sept./Oct. or Nov. Nintendo stock took a quick drop on the news that DS was not hitting in the 4th quarter of 2010(Oct - Dec), but instead by the end of Q4 of FY2010(Jan - Mar) ended.

pre-post edit: afer explaining it out, I see what might have confused you. I think the last sentence clears it up.
I meant Q4 of the actual year and not Q4 of Nintendo's Fiscal Year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 20, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
There is something that I haven't seen anyone here (staff or forum) mention yet and that is the notepad and other multi-tasking features.
http://kotaku.com/5738668/short-cords-long-friend-lists-and-other-burning-3ds-questions-answered
Quote from: Kotaku
The 3DS seems like a pretty capable machine. One of its less ballyhooed features is that you can multi-task with it. How does that work?

A 3DS owner user can suspend any game they are playing at any point and access one of several options (all displayed across the top of the screen) that let them access a virtual notepad, a web browser and even a friends list that lets them see who else is online. As for how useful this might be: "Specifically for an example with Zelda," Nintendo's Trinen says, "If you're stuck in the water temple and you're trying to figure out where the last of the switches are that you have to hit to draw the water level down and get all the way down to the boss, you can immediately hit the home button, bring up the browser, go to whatever tip site you want to go to, figure out where that is, then switch over to the game notes, draw a map on your screen to refer to or go right back into the game." All of this can be done with the game suspended, which is superior level of support for multi-tasking than any game machine has ever offered before.
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI7uTMjGic&feature=player_embedded
notepad starts at 18:20

Note pad sounds like a great addition that no one was asking for but Nintendo brought to us anyway. being able to take notes during the game and access them at any time, not to mention being able to exit out and go browse GameFaqs for some quick help should you need it, will become invaluable to lots of gamers.
I don't know all the details on the feature, but the only other thing I could really ask from the notepad feature at this point is the ability to snap a photo of a game screen and then use that to draw on. Imagine playing a FPS or RPG and you bring up the map screen and you want to remember where a certain item/object/person is or an exit but there is no option to mark that stuff in-game, so you suspend state the game, take a screen capture of what was on the bottom screen and the map now fills your notepad. Now you are free to mark it up in anyway you want and save it to your SD card.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about is the lack of Picto Chat on the 3DS. It may or may be attached to the friends list, but since we don't know anything about the friends list, I guess we wouldn't really know. But the all knowing Nintendo rep from the video says he hasn't seen or heard anything about a Picto Chat for 3DS so I guess we can assume that it was left out even though Nintendo has mentioned some sort of messaging.
Quote from: Kotaku
We know the Friend Code system is better this time around. Can you even send messages to people while you're playing, maybe while the game is suspended?
Trinen says "the goal is there will be some messaging functions" but couldn't lock in details for us.

Picto Chat may not have been a heavily used feature on the DS/i, but that's mostly because I have to be next to whoever I was picto chatting with and so that just leaves me and whoever else is in my house with a DS.... not very useful. With the multi-tasking of the 3DS and being able to get different notifications and suspend state games, an online friendlist enabled picto-chat could be Nintendo's Instant Messenger. You should be able to send pics to and message your friends that happen to be online regardless of what they are doing on their 3DS. Actually, any messages you send should notify them the minute they connect online regardless of when you sent it. I would be really disappointed to not see a new and improved version of Picto Chat to accompany the 3DS and use all of it's features. I guarantee it would get used by more 3DS users more often the the novelty that was the original on the DS.

other things talked about in the video are Mii Creation and Face Morphing. But can somebody please explain the differences between Street Pass & Spot Pass?

edit: Speaking of Mii creation, lets hope that Nintendo is more forward thinking this time around about how Mii are inserted into the games and how games should interact with the OS regardless of what version it is and therefore new features to the system won't break a games compatibility. This way if Nintendo releases a Wii2 and it has an even more advanced Mii creation set, Nintendo can go back and update the 3DS Mii creation set and the 2 can be equal and all previously released 3DS games will also be able to use those new assets and everyone is happy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:59:03 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1582 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Some people say the price is too high, but Pachter actually says it is too low. He says that the system will be so popular that Nintendo is losing a lot of potential money they could have gotten by charging more.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20029038-17.html
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1583 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
Black N Mild spotpass is basically when you pass by a wi-fi hotspot and it will download info to the game.
Streetpass is another 3DS signal. So you know someone is nearby so you can play with them.

Yeah that notepad is a good idea. That can be very helpful in something like Monster Hunter 3DS looking up on the wiki for some combination of items or a certain path for the weapons.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:14:32 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
Here are some Images of the 3DS, Charger Cradle, AC Adapter and Stylus for anyone that want to see it up close.
http://www.engadget.com/photos/nintendo-3ds-press-images/#3801795

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 20, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
Pachter is a Neanderthal and a analytical hack of the worse kind. His analysis are as deep as a wet paper towel and has the foresight of Hans MoleMan. He consistently uses statistics improperly in order to generate headlines that vary from Captain obvious to outright lies. The man is the Glenn Beck of videogames.

You will do well by taking any of his ideas out back and shooting them in the head twice just to be sure they stay down.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1586 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
I agree with you, I stopped caring what he said a long time ago and question mainstream publications for using him. I just found it interesting that he thought the 3DS should have been even more expensive.

As for Glenn Beck, I have made my political opinions know before so I won't mention it (since we aren't supposed to talk about that).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 20, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
another tidbit that I forgot to post from that Kotaku link above
How's the battery power?

The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
another tidbit that I forgot to post from that Kotaku link above
How's the battery power?

The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

It would be nice if there was a power saving settings in the menu where you set everything manuallly to always operate to your liking.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 20, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
There is a power saving option in the menu but it's not customizable. It just tones down some of the brightest colors. Not sure how much power that actually saves though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
http://www.vooks.net/story-19868-Australian-Nintendo-3DS-launch-details-coming-February-8th.html
Nintendo Australia holding an event in early February for all our details.
While overnight, we’ve gotten the European and American launch details for the Nintendo 3DS and we’re still waiting for the Australian details. But now, at least we know when we will have to wait until.

Nintendo Australia has told us to expect an event on February 8 in Sydney. The Australian pricing, launch date and console colours will be revealed on that day. We of course will be there.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1591 on: January 21, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »
I think they're going to try to sell us Pictochat, or something similar, when the eShop launches.

It's pretty crazy how much the websites have turned on the 3DS after the event!  Kotaku especially has a negative tone.  I'm still excited!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1592 on: January 21, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
I am more excited after the event. I have never liked Kotaku anyways.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 21, 2011, 01:15:58 AM »

pre-post edit: afer explaining it out, I see what might have confused you. I think the last sentence clears it up.
I meant Q4 of the actual year and not Q4 of Nintendo's Fiscal Year.

Ah, gotcha!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 21, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
Culture Brain (Flying Warriors/Dragon on NES) is ressurecting itself (like Sunsoft) to make 3DS games.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/culture-brain-working-on-three-3ds-games/
A Culture Brain representative told Gadget News that the publisher has around three games in development for the 3DS, and hinted that they may be based on past franchises like Flying Warriors or Baseball Simulator.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1595 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:14 AM »
Culture Brain (Flying Warriors/Dragon on NES) is ressurecting itself (like Sunsoft) to make 3DS games.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/culture-brain-working-on-three-3ds-games/
A Culture Brain representative told Gadget News that the publisher has around three games in development for the 3DS, and hinted that they may be based on past franchises like Flying Warriors or Baseball Simulator.
Hmm had to look them up and I haven't played any of their games but heard of Super Baseball Simulator 1000 and Flying Dragon. Good to see the company up again.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 21, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
SSF4 3DS will be priced at $39.99, that's what it's listed as on Capcom's store.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 21, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-3ds-estore-will-be-ready-on-day-one
Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

The eStore is where you'll be able to download DSiWare titles, retro Game Boy classics, game demos, trailers and new digital titles made exclusively for the 3DS.

Nintendo hasn't confirmed a full line-up for the portable's Virtual Console equivalent, however, screenshots indicate that Super Mario Land and Zelda: Link's Awakening will both be available at some point.

The Nintendo 3DS launches across Europe on 25th March.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
I pre-ordered a Blue one at Bestbuy.  God they are so much more pleasant than gamestop.  We'll see what game are at launch. 

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
I think they're going to try to sell us Pictochat, or something similar, when the eShop launches.

It's pretty crazy how much the websites have turned on the 3DS after the event!  Kotaku especially has a negative tone.  I'm still excited!

The big websites have been hating on Nintendo since the original DS.  I think there are a lot of bitter people out there.

I really want to get this but I've go to save my money for a while and the price for me to to get it imported around launch would be ridiculous.  I'm a sucker for great 3d effects too.