Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 544573 times)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1500 on: January 12, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
I would rather the points generated for walking go towards something more worthwhile than costumes for my Mii. How about club Nintendo coins or Wiiware or DSiware points? I have Personal Trainer Walking so I already walk like crazy so whatever reward system they set up I'm doomed to benefit from it. It would have been a better announcement for unlocking something within actual games.
The 19th is a week away, but it feels like an eternity.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
Friend Codes are BAAAACK!!!! :(
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/13/super_sfiv_online_play/
No mention on if it's one code per system, per account or if you add it in per game.
Capcom has been hinting at some robust multiplayer play for Super Street Fighter IV 3DS. Famitsu has details this week.

The 3DS launch title will have full internet-based combat, allowing players across the nation to challenge one-another. Capcom promises a lag-free experience for this "Internet Versus" mode.

You'll be able to select from three types of play: "quick match," which pairs you up with an opponent instantly, "custom match," which lets finds an opponent based off conditions that you've set, and "friend match", which lets you select an opponent from your friend list. You add players to your friend list by exchanging friend codes.
[...]
Download play allows you to play versus matches on two 3DS units using just one copy of the game. At Nintendo World last week, Capcom said that the download play support will allow downloaders to transfer the game to other people as well, and will continue to function even if the host player has left. Famitsu does not say if there are any limitations in terms of characters or stages.

Prior to multiplayer bouts, you can set a comment. This is displayed alongside your rank and current battle points (BP) ahead of the fight. Win a match, and you'll earn more battle points.

Similar to the console SFIV games, 3D Edition is compatible with arcade machiuke, or arcade challenge. This allows other players to interrupt you for battles as you play arcade mode. Famitsu confirms that this option will work with both local and internet versus play.

There is also single cart multiplayer(daisy chained from people who don't own the game to more people that down own the game, Custom Commentary between matches, New Challenger Interruptions & Achievements.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1502 on: January 12, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
ahahahahaha YES

Now's the time for many of you to sell your Nintendo systems and games!
Quit being Nintendo fans now before you're hurt again!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
Man how disappointing, lets all just hope that it's a 3DS universal friend code and the Wii 2 will be the same. I figure asking for something better is asking too much from Nintendo.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:20:14 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
I would have said friend codes have been appropriately marginalized.

I would also need some more details like whether after a random battle you can exchange friend codes. As long as friend codes aren't the end-all-be-all of Nintendo's online strategy I'm fine with them. Edit: And there is one per system rather than per game. I totally forgot about that annoying as hell aspect.

Parental controls could also make it so that friend codes allow your child to play online while protecting them from pedators and offensive people by allowing online matches only through friend codes.

Friend codes could also become more like a friend's list allowing you to send your friends pictures and other things that random people you meet would not have access to.

And, I just sort of remembered that StreetPass could allow a transferring of pictures or some other stuff... Am I remembering that wrong?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:23:18 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 12, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
I would rather the points generated for walking go towards something more worthwhile than costumes for my Mii. How about club Nintendo coins or Wiiware or DSiware points? I have Personal Trainer Walking so I already walk like crazy so whatever reward system they set up I'm doomed to benefit from it. It would have been a better announcement for unlocking something within actual games.

I used to do a lot of walking a few years ago before I started driving. Believe it or not, I actually walked a few miles everyday after I got home in high school. During the summer I walked every where I had to go. Now I am a little out of shape and something like the 3DS would be good to motivate me to go back to walking, especially with the summer approaching. This is why I would like to have a 3DS Sports/Fit game that centers around walking, running, jogging and stair climbing.

What side of the 3DS is the SD card slot located?

I have made my mind up that I will get the 3DS on launch if it is $200, but if it is $250 then I will pass on the system for now. However, I manly want to buy the system to get a head start on Kid Icarus and Revelations. I will pass on that OoT remake, but I hope that GBA is included on the virtual console.

If I trade in my DSi, how will I transfer my DSiware games over to my 3DS.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:05:00 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 12, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »
As a college student, I do a lot of walking around campus (except not right now because I broke my ankle), so getting rewarded for it sounds pretty cool. The battery isn't an issue for me, since I'm in the habit of plugging in my iPhone and iPad every night to charge, so I'll just do that with my 3DS as well, and I doubt I'll be running out the whole battery in one day very often. That, plus the fact that I'm actually excited about the OoT remake, and that there are a couple Western-developed launch games that aren't on the Japanese list that I'm interested in, means I haven't seen anything so far that makes me consider changing my mind about picking one up at launch.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 12, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
As a college student, I do a lot of walking around campus (except not right now because I broke my ankle), so getting rewarded for it sounds pretty cool. The battery isn't an issue for me, since I'm in the habit of plugging in my iPhone and iPad every night to charge, so I'll just do that with my 3DS as well, and I doubt I'll be running out the whole battery in one day very often. That, plus the fact that I'm actually excited about the OoT remake, and that there are a couple Western-developed launch games that aren't on the Japanese list that I'm interested in, means I haven't seen anything so far that makes me consider changing my mind about picking one up at launch.

If the western launch titles are too flimsy I might pick up Okamiden or Golden Sun 3 to compliment the BC on the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 12, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

I used to do a lot of walking a few years ago before I started driving. Believe it or not, I actually walked a few miles everyday after I got home in high school. During the summer I walked every where I had to go. Now I am a little out of shape and something like the 3DS would be good to motivate me to go back to walking, especially with the summer approaching. This is why I would like to have a 3DS Sports/Fit game that centers around walking, running, jogging and stair climbing.

I have made my mind up that I will get the 3DS on launch if it is $200, but if it is $250 then I will pass on the system for now. However, I manly want to buy the system to get a head start on Kid Icarus and Revelations. I will pass on that OoT remake, but I hope that GBA is included on the virtual console.

Just get personal trainer walking you can get a copy for $10 at Best Buy and you get 2 pedometers. But if you walk with your 3DS while it's sleeping you earn coins which are supposedly good for game unlocks.

Regarding, transfering DSiWare game, I have a feeling it will involve a SD card and having both systems linked to the same Club Nintendo account. If you read Arstechnica, they said that one Nintendo rep confirmed that you need a SD card to transfer content.  Remember, the 3DS comes with a 2GB SD card.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 12, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing Nintendo hasn't found a better online solution in all this time and that includes not flat-out copying Xbox Live like Sony did with PSN, especially since I believe Nintendo already admitted that their current online structure with Wii/DS was flawed. I don't play online games too often so I wouldn't be that upset beyond the principle of the matter. Friend Codes are dumb, NO ONE likes them and as such, Nintendo should have confirmed they were working on something better a long time ago. In a perfect world....

Since there's so little info on this, it's hard to have an opinion either way. I think I could deal with Friend Codes if Nintendo Wi-Fi was far more robust including better chat, the ability to talk to strangers etc. I know Nintendo is paranoid about safety, but it's really not their responsibility to raise people's children or protect them from Pedobear.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
As long as the friends list is universal and not a code for each game, I have no problem with retaining the friend code system.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »
Hopefully it's a universal code.  And it's a shorter code than the 8 thousand digits they have been. 

If it's both that and you can trade seemlessly over wifi matches, I'm happy. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: January 12, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
Hopefully it's a universal code.  And it's a shorter code than the 8 thousand digits they have been. 

If it's both that and you can trade seemlessly over wifi matches, I'm happy. 

The 12 digit friend codes aren't too bad. Now Microsoft codes that you use to enter in vouchers or licenses such as a Windows license or a voucher on Xbox Live are annoying since they are 25 alpha numeric characters.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1513 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »

The SD card slot is on the left side, next to the Volume slider. Also I bet you that Nintendo won't have a way to actually get your DSiware on to the 3DS, you'll just be able to store it on an SD card and load it up from there. Aside from a few titles (Mighty Flip Champs, Cave Story, PictoBits) I doubt anyone will have much to transfer over. Besides, with the Virtual GameBoy a lot of those titles will be forgotten.
Taking the 3DS out with you will serve two purposes; one to get you to gain coins and the other for the Street Pass function. I really hope that there is just one system code. What's the point of having Parental Controls and a Friend Code for every game coming out? Nintendo is really backwards with their online set up and hopefully by their admitting that it's a systematic mess will have caused them to revamp the entire interface.
Does anyone know if it will have access to the Nintendo Channel? How do you think they will handle film distribution on the system? I doubt you one could fit a full length film on a DS cart, but streaming could be done. RFN predicted Netflix to arrive on the system- one could hope.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
Quote from: TheFleece
Aside from a few titles (Mighty Flip Champs, Cave Story, PictoBits) I doubt anyone will have much to transfer over.

Neal Ronaghan must be spinning in his grave.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1515 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
3DS cards are up to 8GB, so they could easily fit movies on there. Even the regular DS card could with the right compression (500MB).

Of the DSiWare games I own, I would probably transfer Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, Bookworm, and Army Defender. I don't think I would bother with Photo Dojo or Dark Void Zero.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
A full length 3D film at 3DS resolutions would probably only be around 500-700mb

« Originally Posted: Today over 1hour 45minutes Ago by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 12, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
I'm glad I'll be able to transfer Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Mighty Flip Champs. My only problem is that I usually end up giving my brother my handhelds then picking up a new one once a new model comes out. Hopefully, games will be tied to an account on 3DS.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 13, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
After seeing the FEB/March line-up in JP is anyone else feeling their interest start to dissipate.

I guess Wednesday will determine everything.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1519 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
Not really, the launch lineup in Japan is pretty good to me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #1520 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
After seeing the FEB/March line-up in JP is anyone else feeling their interest start to dissipate.

Ya, nothing is so good that I'd want to spend $200*+ on a system to play it.

*Do we know the US Price or the price in Japan (converted to US Dollar)?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1521 on: January 13, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
The price in Japan is the equivalent of $300 US.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1522 on: January 13, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »
The Iwata Asks about the 3DS has been posted in full: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview.html#/how-nintendo-3ds-made/0/0
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 13, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
So the 3DS won't have 3D video recording out of the box, but Iwata hopes they casn include it with a future update. I'm okay with that...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1524 on: January 13, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Very interesting, especially Iwata saying that Pikmin would be perfect for 3DS.