Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 547328 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1475 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're suggesting. Are you saying that it's okay that Nintendo cleaned up some textures and added 3D to a couple of N64 games just because original entries in those series will look awesome whenever they come out (which, honestly, isn't even a guarantee)? I don't have to "wait and see" for Nintendo to do better with 3DS because I flat-out know they're capable of better. While I'd rather Nintendo work on original titles, if they absolutely feel the need to revisit these classics, I'd rather they go all out and remake them from the ground up. Nintendo just polished the textures a little bit while Konami, of all companies, completely rebuilt Snake Eater. It looks amazing, the extra effort is clearly evident. Next to other 3DS games, Nintendo's offerings are subpar efforts. Sad thing is that they'll likely trounce pretty much every 3rd party offering on the console sales wise. This may end up backfiring on Nintendo. 3rd parties put all this extra work into their games only to get their asses handed to them by Nintendo second-rate port jobs. The discouraging, not to mention insulting. It sets a bad precedent. Why try when Nintendo themselves won't? Ultimately, us gamers end up with shittier games.

It's strange. Nintendo pulls off this Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine all the time. On one hand, we have the Nintendo pushes the boundaries, innovates, and even trashes months of development when something isn't working or fun. That's why we get games like Super Mario Galaxy or even the original N64 Ocarina of Time. On the other, we have the Nintendo that rehashes old games, sells them strictly for profit, sometimes at full or near full price (i.e. Super Mario Advance). I prefer the former. I wouldn't mind Nintendo double dipping and remaking old games so much if they at least acted like they gave a **** and weren't just grabbing for cash. No, I don't have to buy the ports and I probably won't, but it's still disappointing and I can't help but feel a little let down as a Nintendo fan, especially one who thinks these games deserve better. Nintendo keeps giving me reasons to not buy 3DS sooner rather than later. If Nintendo completely remade Ocarina of Time with Skyward Sword's art style, or even Twilight Princess' art style and refined the gameplay to reflect some of the later games in the series, I'd probably buy it without question. Oh well. Le sigh.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 11, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're suggesting. Are you saying that it's okay that Nintendo cleaned up some textures and added 3D to a couple of N64 games just because original entries in those series will look awesome whenever they come out (which, honestly, isn't even a guarantee)? I don't have to "wait and see" for Nintendo to do better with 3DS because I flat-out know they're capable of better. While I'd rather Nintendo work on original titles, if they absolutely feel the need to revisit these classics, I'd rather they go all out and remake them from the ground up. Nintendo just polished the textures a little bit while Konami, of all companies, completely rebuilt Snake Eater. It looks amazing, the extra effort is clearly evident. Next to other 3DS games, Nintendo's offerings are subpar efforts. Sad thing is that they'll likely trounce pretty much every 3rd party offering on the console sales wise. This may end up backfiring on Nintendo. 3rd parties put all this extra work into their games only to get their asses handed to them by Nintendo second-rate port jobs. The discouraging, not to mention insulting. It sets a bad precedent. Why try when Nintendo themselves won't? Ultimately, us gamers end up with shittier games.

It's strange. Nintendo pulls off this Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine all the time. On one hand, we have the Nintendo pushes the boundaries, innovates, and even trashes months of development when something isn't working or fun. That's why we get games like Super Mario Galaxy or even the original N64 Ocarina of Time. On the other, we have the Nintendo that rehashes old games, sells them strictly for profit, sometimes at full or near full price (i.e. Super Mario Advance). I prefer the former. I wouldn't mind Nintendo double dipping and remaking old games so much if they at least acted like they gave a **** and weren't just grabbing for cash. No, I don't have to buy the ports and I probably won't, but it's still disappointing and I can't help but feel a little let down as a Nintendo fan, especially one who thinks these games deserve better. Nintendo keeps giving me reasons to not buy 3DS sooner rather than later. If Nintendo completely remade Ocarina of Time with Skyward Sword's art style, or even Twilight Princess' art style and refined the gameplay to reflect some of the later games in the series, I'd probably buy it without question. Oh well. Le sigh.

Overall I am pissed at the whole launch line up for the 3DS because all of the good titles that represent the strength of the console are MIA on the release date. If I do buy the system in March, I feel as I am paying for just another iteration of the DS and that what I will use it for until Kid Icarus and Revelations come out. Althoug if the virtual console is good enough then I might be enticed enough to rebuild my GBA collection after it was stolen. Oh, wait, that's right! The 3DS does not have GBA VC yet. I would love to have Minish Cap on that system.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 11, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Don't know if this was discussed, but there seems to be some sort of rewards system. But to me it sounds nothing like the Achievements system.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14844
According to reports from Nintendo World the 3DS will feature a reward system similar to Xbox Achievements and PS3 Trophies.
While Nintendo has yet to official detail a rewards system for the 3DS several reports from this weekend's Nintendo World event in Japan suggest that one has been implemented into the upcoming handheld.
According to Palgn a coins based reward system appears to be part of the 3DS software. The inbuilt pedometer will be used to earn coins as players walk with their 3DS, which in turn can be exchanged to unlock bonus content in games.
All developers will have access to this universal reward system and the coins earned can be used in any game, rather than being limited to the game you earn them in. The use of the pedometer for the reward system is likely to work alongside the handheld's 'tag' mode, whereby if two people with a 3DS pass each other they automatically exchange system and game information.
Expect more details about the system from Nintendo soon but for now what do you think of this reward system? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Now I see this article says similar to the PS3 and XBOX systems, but maybe my reading comprehension is off. Seems I only get coins from physical travel and not from putting in 100 hours in Dragon Quest.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 11, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
While intrigued by the reward system idea, the walking around thing is a little stupid because I'm sure the pedometer could be fooled by simply shaking the 3DS.

At least they're trying I guess.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 11, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
Yeah they are trying... trying too hard to not use the already established system.
Achievements and Trophies are fine the way they are and if Nintendo wanted to add to that system by also awarding carrying around the system, then great, but to completely ignore ingame achievements because it's already been done is just Nintendo trying to re-invent the wheel yet again like they tried to do with friend codes.

Nintendo; adapt/adopt, innovate and improve, but stop trying to be different just for differents sake. It annoying.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1480 on: January 11, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
This isn't an achievement system.  This is real-life RPG grinding (ie. no achievement in that).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1482 on: January 11, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Hold on. It says similar to the DSi and DSi XL, which are NOT region coded. At most, all this says is that 3DSWare games will be region coded (like DSiWare are), that says nothing about retail games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 11, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure developers have the option of region-locking DSi-exclusive retail games in addition to digitally distributed content.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1484 on: January 11, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
I have never heard of any retail game on DS (including DSi) ever being region locked. I don't know if it's possible, but I don't think it has happened and I would be shocked if 3DS changes that and becomes the first Nintendo handheld to have region locked retail games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: January 11, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
I have never heard of any retail game on DS (including DSi) ever being region locked. I don't know if it's possible, but I don't think it has happened and I would be shocked if 3DS changes that and becomes the first Nintendo handheld to have region locked retail games.

You haven't heard of it because there have barely been any retail DSi exclusives. Nintendo, however, has explicitly said the DSi is region locked, both downloadable and retail.

Nintendo has issued a statement to CVG to clarify the confusion over the region-based restrictions on the new DSi.

"DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles," a Nintendo spokesperson has told CVG.

They confirmed that this means BOTH download-able games and future DSi-only cartridge-based games would be region locked.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
I thought all DSi exclusive games were region locked.
Which would include all retail DSi exclusive games.
edit: beaten by post while I was posting.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1487 on: January 11, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
I still would not consider that confirmation since it comes from a e-mail rep, who are not exactly the most reliable source of info. We won't know for sure until either Nintendo officially comments on it or until somebody can test it out themselves.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:02 PM »
Hmmm reading all this is pretty exciting.

3-5 hours? That's a bit disappointing. I wasn't planning on buying 3DS at launch anyway (waiting for more colors), but I think I'll wait till they fix that problem too.

Re-hash games? The graphics aren't that bad. Seriously. Yes they could have completely redone every texture in that enormous game (OOT), but I think that would have been a wasted effort, strictly through a cost/benefit analyses. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I for one, am more excited by Star Fox because 3D in that game makes perfect sense.

Achievements? I never ever enjoyed achievements. I understand the point of them, but they never actually give you anything as a reward. I'm not talking about the right to brag or that complete-tionist feeling. I'm talking about extra levels or new outfits or something. Nintendo's idea of achievements is more in line with something I would have came up with from a gamer/business stand point. I want people to take their 3DS everywhere. I want them to have a reason to open it up everyday to see if something new is available. I want people to feel like they are being rewarded for doing those things.

Don't really have an opinion of it being region locked. I'm more concerned about firmware updates, in the respect that it might become like the PSP or any home console.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1489 on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
Achievements? I never ever enjoyed achievements. I understand the point of them, but they never actually give you anything as a reward. I'm not talking about the right to brag or that complete-tionist feeling. I'm talking about extra levels or new outfits or something.

To be fair, some Xbox 360 games have let you unlock stuff for your Avatar by getting certain achievements. It's not that common, but it is possible.

I do hope firmware updates are rare, I think the DSi has only had one.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 11, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
@BnM
I wholly agree with your sentiments after my last post. They do a lot of good things with their desire to innovate, but being different for the sake of being different, is rather annoying.

I forget who mentioned it, but I also forgot about StreetPass and Nintendo wanting everyone to carry their 3DS everywhere, so I somewhat retract my statement, but it can still be fooled.

@TJ
Why would you want firmware updates to be rare? Unless you're jailbreaking your system (or have a PS3), firmware updates typically improve the system.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1491 on: January 11, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
I meant rare as not to often, Sony has had dozens of PS3 updates and it just gets annoying having to download them all the time (especially the ones that do little other than stop homebrew and don't actually improve the system). I am all for firmware updates that improve the system or add features.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
Ok what the hell Nintendo?! Don't even try to tell me region locks are there to fight pirates or I will gut you. I can live with it if the unlock is really easy like the GC, but count me out as a day one customer at this point. You can't bitch about globalism and shitty exchange rates only to turn around and do this.

Or maybe a well reasoned letter to Nintendo is in order?.

Achievements?, no thanks, they make people do bad things.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 11, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
My only experience with Achievements was on steam and while playing L4D2 & Portal, and I can say that while I certainly won;t chase them all down, it does give you an ulterior motive while playing and something to aim for other than just rushing to the "finish line".

I see Nintendo's motivation for coins for travel and foreign 3DS interaction, but why can't those same coins be earned through ingame achievements as well? why does it have to be an "either/or" situation, why can't it be an "and" situation like Reggie had said before about Nintendo's strategy going forward.

I'm not trying to pick a fight for achievements or anything like that, but it just seems like Nintendo is once again overlooking the status quo and implementing something different just so that it won't be alike.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
You know what I think it is?

I don't think the 3DS will have a persistent online account (really the only reason achievements exist out of the game).

Nintendo doesn't see achievements as necessary if you have no one to show them to. Which makes sense. So instead they came up with a way for you to "achieve" outside the game that didn't involve you showing of trophies.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1495 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »
As much as I love trophies on PSN, and my wonderful friends list of Nintendo gamers on my PS3, I want stars...

Glorious bronze, silver, gold, and GREEN stars. Give them to me, Nintendo. Sony has copy/pasted you for SO long now... it won't hurt to take one good idea from them and re-coat it in some fancy Nintendo themed paint.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 12, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »
3DS smuggled off the production line and gutted live for our viewing pleasure ;D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418463

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #1497 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:16 AM »
You know, in regards to the whole "gaining experience points while walking" thing with the 3DS, in the context of Japan, it kinda makes sense. People are typically taking public transportation and walking a great deal everyday. So it makes sense for Japan, but definitely not places like America. Who in the world is going to go out of their way to to take advantage of this?

I was at Nintendo World and I remember watching something about, not necessarily the achievements, but more or less an expanded version of what we have now with the Wii "folder system" or whatever the hell you want to call it. The thing that keeps track of how much time you spend playing games. It looks like they went kind of crazy with it, too. My Japanese isn't perfect, but I believe that's what it was about. Interesting, but then again, damn it, give me some kind of achievement system so I can get stuff. Even just a pair of sunglasses for my Mii.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1498 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
I don't think the walking would be a problem. The Pokewalker has been real popular (although I know it's a lot easier to carry it around than a 3DS because it's really small).

If that really is a 3DS stolen from a factory, Nintendo has to be pissed that this has happened twice (unless it's the same one that was stolen last week).

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 12, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
Believe it or not there are rural areas in Japan where people don't do much walking around, and big cities in "America" where people do a lot of walking around. There are also malls, dog parks, fast food restaurants, coffee houses and cafes, Barnes & Noble, colleges, and other such places where people congregate. Nintendo is aware of this and will be trying to get those people to carry their 3DS to those places that they already go.

The 3DS is smaller than the DSi which is also a very pocketable/purseable device, so carrying it around shouldn' be too much of an issue.

Edit: It apparently is the same 3DS that was shown off last week.