Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548119 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:30:04 AM »
Now was it the game or the press release that was in 3D?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323.pdf

FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, wheres the wifi Mario Tennis game I asked for?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:35:19 PM by vudu »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:40 AM »
In addition to citing a need to investigate the health impact of playing 3D games for hours on end, Iwata looked at the issue from another, more practical point of view.  He quipped, "I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?"

Iwata: (Foreshadows)
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:09 AM »
Seriously? Is that what announcements usually look like? A bit of text?

As for the actual 3D I only care if it's headtracking but that can already be done with the DSi.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:01:29 AM »
In addition to citing a need to investigate the health impact of playing 3D games for hours on end, Iwata looked at the issue from another, more practical point of view.  He quipped, "I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?"

Iwata: (Foreshadows)

Iwata:  "I will need a bigger swimming vault..."

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:09 AM »
I am shocked!  If they do the 3d right this is going to be awesome.

Quote from: KDR_11k linhtk=topic=30917.msg595184#msg595184 date=1269336849
Seriously? Is that what announcements usually look like? A bit of text?

Looks to me like somebody screwed up and put an official document online.  This is not a typical Nintendo announcement.

Offline Tanatoes

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
Called it!  When 3M was demoing the lenticular films for portable displays last year at CES I knew Apple, Nintndo and Sony would have 3-D systems in the pipeline pretty soon.  I am so looking forward to playing with this.  Wonder if they'll have a demo at PAX East?
-------
Why can't Wii be friends?  0639 9148 4145 6376

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »
Man, if this **** is one of those screen films that fake the 3D (think like those 3D trading cards you get in cereal boxes) I will be PISSED.

Headache machine and stuff. Ugh.

If it's a head tracking type solution, that's pretty sweet though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
I think this is great.  It is Nintendo boldly stepping up to a new technology that isn't quite proven for games, and showing the industry how to use it.

Also, I do not see this as the death of 2D gaming, but a new bold beginning for it.  I actually see 2D games benefiting greatly from 3D technology...perhaps even more so than 3D games. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »

- New portable hardware
  - To be announced at E3
  - Uses 3D w/o need for glasses
  - Backwards compatible with DS, DSi
  - Release BEFORE March 2011

English press release: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf
March 23, 2010

To Whom It May Concern:
  Re: Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata)   will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending   March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the   need for any special glasses.

"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to   succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from   Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009,   and will include backward compatibility so that the software for   Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be   enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which   is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:23:26 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
Im still waiting for someone to translate what it actually says.

Did you read our news story?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
Nope, I got linked here by Pro from the blog thread as that was the last thing I looked at last night. That is where I refreshed from.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
I hope we can turn off the 3D if we want. Some people might not be able to see it. I know I don't feel too good watching 3D movies after a few hours.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »
I hope we can turn off the 3D if we want. Some people might not be able to see it. I know I don't feel too good watching 3D movies after a few hours.

Considering that it plays ds games this is a gimme.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
3 SCREENS

2 STYLUSES

1 NO-HANDS PORTABLE MIND-**** EXPERIENCE

*Also confirmed:  it prints money.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
Basically this new handheld is the virtual boy 2? When Nintendo metions how the device is compatible with DS line, will this mean that it will have a GBS slot? Probably not, this device will most likely feature a virtual handheld service that will probably include virtual boy games on its service.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »
It's a DS you wear on your face.  Sony hasn't figured out how to make portables PORTABLE and hands-free.  Nintendo is the real innovator here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
Nintendo to Sony, the PS3 and the 3DTV Industry: "Check!"

I'm eager to see the tech behind this and then I wonder how the TV industry will react when they realize that no one wants $150 glasses for every person that wants to watch 3D movie at home. Yet Nintendo managed to release a handheld with 2 screen capable of 3D for close to the price of a single pair of glasses.

Nintendo to Apple, the iPhone and the PSP: "Check!"

I'd like to see how the PSP attempts to follow this. There has to be a reason that Nintendo didn't save this till E3 and that must be because they knew that PSP2 was gonna be revealed with a touchscreen and wanted to make Sony scramble to add something stupid so they don't look like they are playing follow the leader again while still being a few steps behind. I also wonder what Apple is gonna do with the iPhone 4G/s now that Nintendo has decided to step up their game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
People say the iPhone was going to kill Nintendo in the portable space and what does Nintendo do? It changes the game! Exclusive experience you can only get on a 3DS.

Now they just have to come up with the killer 3D app like Nintendogs or Brain Age were. Any guesses?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
3D Peek-a-Boo

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
People say the iPhone was going to kill Nintendo in the portable space and what does Nintendo do? It changes the game! Exclusive experience you can only get on a 3DS.

Or not.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
This was not a mistake. It has quotes and things. The best I can guess is that this was a controlled information release to preempt leaks, to build hype into E3, to steal some Move thunder (which will be shown publicly in three days), and to perhaps to gratify investment firms.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Report: Nintendo 3DS Also Has "3D Joystick," Force Feedback & More

Fortunately, that report is from the typically reliable Nikkei, who writes that Nintendo "plans to give the new system a 3-D joystick and a force feedback mechanism that will let players feel the collisions of a game character."

Oh dear.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Report: Nintendo 3DS Also Has "3D Joystick," Force Feedback & More

Fortunately, that report is from the typically reliable Nikkei, who writes that Nintendo "plans to give the new system a 3-D joystick and a force feedback mechanism that will let players feel the collisions of a game character."

Oh dear.
i just posted that in the talkback thread ;D

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
anything about better wifi mentioned?
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
The Nikkei also feels comfortable enough reporting that the 3DS will feature improved wireless communication speed and battery life, but that its dual screens will be slightly smaller than that of the Nintendo DSi XL

Same article as above