Author Topic: Picross 3D  (Read 13931 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Picross 3D
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 06:20:21 AM »
It'd be fun to play around with for a while, but I wouldn't want to play a whole game that way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
here is my review of this great game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4K61TUhx4s

I pushed the limits of youtube and I'm actually over 10 minutes, but I think I covered the game fully.

I am very proud that for the final score, I created that puzzle . Very clever use of the game to showcase it.

Final score 9 /10 : Why can't I send user created puzzles to online friends, the music is pretty bad and sometimes I would like to be able to zoom out, but outside that a very fun enjoyable game.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
I liked playing this game, but the way the clues were shown on the boxes irritated me to no end.  I much preffered hor Mario Picross and Picross DS showed all the numbers.  Even more irritating was when the blocks didnt even show clues that they should have.  I did complete all the puzzles and bonus puzzles, but not sure I would replay the whole game again.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I liked playing this game, but the way the clues were shown on the boxes irritated me to no end.

what are you talking about? the backgrounds? they can be changed to random

Offline Art_de_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
I liked playing this game, but the way the clues were shown on the boxes irritated me to no end.
what are you talking about? the backgrounds? they can be changed to random

I have played Mario Picross and Picross DS.  In those games, you see all of the clues, seperated for the rows and columns. In Picross 3D, you do no see them seperately, you get one number, if they even give a number for the row, column, and z-axis(?).  The way they denote if there are seperate groups is with a mystic circle and or the mystic square. OOOOOOH really helpful. While most of the puzzles do have some symetry to them, a lot of them are off by a block or two. Which makes going for three stars on all puzzles a huge ordeal. Especially in the higher up courses.  Then on top of that, not all of the rows, columns, or z axises cubes have clues!!! WTF???  How did the developement team miss that?  It is really annoying on the puzzles that have a one block twisting pattern that has no clues on most sides of the cubes to figure out how it goes. 

steps off soap box,

Basically IMO,
Seperated clues GOOD
One number for all seperate groups and surrounded by a shape is BAD.
Failure to have clues on all axises BAD.
The different backgrounds and themes, and themed unlockables GREAT
I guess that's true.....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
The numbers have to be on the cubes; it wouldn't work otherwise with how you're constantly rotating the block. Because of that, you can only give one number, which is why they put a circle around it when there are two groups and a square when it's 3 or more. And the game would be way too easy if every block had a clue. This game is similar at its core to the previous Picross game, but it plays differently, and because of that the interface can't and shouldn't be the same.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Art_de_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
The numbers have to be on the cubes; it wouldn't work otherwise with how you're constantly rotating the block. Because of that, you can only give one number, which is why they put a circle around it when there are two groups and a square when it's 3 or more. And the game would be way too easy if every block had a clue. This game is similar at its core to the previous Picross game, but it plays differently, and because of that the interface can't and shouldn't be the same.

I will have to disagree on that. Plenty of the harder puzzles in the earlier games were still pretty hard even with all the clues laid out.  As to your next point, I can understand that the 3D play field would require a different interface, Im just saying what they chose for noting areas with seperate groups was not a good choice.
I guess that's true.....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
It wasn't a problem in the earlier games because they weren't in 3D. Putting a clue on every square would mean 3 times the clues you have in previous games. I disagree that the way they did it was a bad choice, and even if it were I can't think of a better way to do it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
It works the way it is.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
I recently picked this game up for $10 from Best Buy.  I really like it, but not nearly as much as the 2D Picross game that came out a few years ago.  My biggest--only?--gripe is that I don't like how not all the cubes have numbers on all six sides.  Sure, the clues that are given are selected so the puzzle can always be solved, but it seems a bit artificial.  In 2D Picross every single row and column shows exactly how many blocks should be marked.  It's not that big of a complaint and I can live with it, but it's slightly annoying.

Also, I can't tell--is the yellow thing that dances on the top screen happy or mad when I solve the puzzle?  I honestly can't tell.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »
The game would be way, way too easy if all the clues were filled in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
The game would be way, way too easy if all the clues were filled in.

That's the game designers' problem, not mine.

Like I said, I know why they did it, but it just seems like an artificial limitation.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
I'm really frustrated that I lost my copy...

I have the box, but since my brother recently took all the DS games out of these cases and put them in his carrying case thing, Picross has gone missing. I loved the game up to the point I had gotten to, and look forward to continuing as soon as I can find it.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.