Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010  (Read 213745 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010
« Reply #950 on: December 06, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
Its possibly problematic for the Wii, but Nintendo's bottom line won't be in any danger for the forseeable future. Even as interest in Wii and DS diminishes, the 3DS is going to pick up all the slack (and then some). Not to mention that the Wii has such a huge lead in terms of installed units that the Wii 2 will probably be released before they manage to catch up. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that the Wii is still selling strongly despite the competition's motion ripoffs, and in a worse case scenario there is still plenty of room for price cuts.
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 09, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
Go to Kotaku and see what some MIT guys have done with the Kinect. It is pretty 'basic' but it is also amazing, and one step closer to the Minority Report interface that seems inevitable, maybe for the gaming PC console I imagine the NeXBoX will be. If I have time later I'll post a link if no one else does.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 09, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
Kinect might really find it's niche once you enable it with a 3D TV.

Being able to reach out and touch 3D object with your hands/feet/head/etc. could be exactly what might make people get over the hatred for 3D glasses for 3D TV's. Unfortunately MS doesn't make 3D anything, so that kind of update will likely have to wait till next gen.

Just imagine a soccer game where you kick the ball as it comes out of the screen and watch it go back in the screen. Or a main menu where the icons rotate infront of you when you can reach out and touch/move/manipulate the object that is seeming floating right in front of you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
USA Today - Re: NPD Nov. 2010

Kinect for the Xbox 360 was the best-selling accessory item for the month; the Xbox 360 was the best-selling console hardware system for the month, with a 68% increase over last November.

On track for 5 million before year ends....? Sounds like it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 09, 2010, 11:20:10 PM »
Kinect might really find it's niche once you enable it with a 3D TV.

Being able to reach out and touch 3D object with your hands/feet/head/etc. could be exactly what might make people get over the hatred for 3D glasses for 3D TV's. Unfortunately MS doesn't make 3D anything, so that kind of update will likely have to wait till next gen.

Just imagine a soccer game where you kick the ball as it comes out of the screen and watch it go back in the screen. Or a main menu where the icons rotate infront of you when you can reach out and touch/move/manipulate the object that is seeming floating right in front of you.

Take this video and combine it with a 3D screen and you have your Minority Report.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLschoMhuE&

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #955 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »
I finally managed to find a Kinect, but I have to basically re-arrange my room to use it. The six feet is not a recommendation, it's a requirement since you have to be six feet away to calibrate it. I am wondering if I should bother, maybe I should just return it if I can.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
If you don't have the room to play it correctly, it's kind of not worth having. I'd suggest ebay to make a profit, but I just checked and they're not going for much more than the MSRP.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
If you don't have the room to play it correctly, it's kind of not worth having. I'd suggest ebay to make a profit, but I just checked and they're not going for much more than the MSRP.

Yeah, its not like the Wii, which in the holiday season of 2006 was selling upwards of $1000 on sites like ebay. I guess you could use that as an indicator that Kinect isn't as hot of an item as the Wii was during its height.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 18, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »

Yeah, its not like the Wii, which in the holiday season of 2006 was selling upwards of $1000 on sites like ebay. I guess you could use that as an indicator that Kinect isn't as hot of an item as the Wii was during its height.

Or that MS has a better supply of Kinect than Nintendo did of Wii.
Most store chains were reporting that they were "sold out" of Kinect, but MS has been keeping the supply as steady as they can.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 18, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Well, I gotta admit, a lot of us (myself included) thought Kinect was going to be a flop. At this point it doesn't look like that's going to be the case. Actually I'm glad, because this diverts most of the attention away from Sony's Move, and unlike Move this is actually something other than a blatant ripoff of Nintendo.
is your sanity...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
I wouldn't call it a success yet, not until we see any significant Kinect software sales.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 20, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
I played it at walmart.  It was surprisingly enjoyable.  The controls weren't perfect but it reminded me of playing wii sports at launch.  I wonder if their will be a Kinect Plus?  It really wasn't that bad but doesn't seem worth $150.  $100 seems just right to me.  I'll wait for a price drop.  Though I'm a huge panzer dragoon nut so I may jump on it when Project Draco hits.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 24, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
MS: 2011 'all about Kinect'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281686
Microsoft has claimed that its 2011 will "ultimately be all about Kinect" - as the device spearheads a "brilliant" line-up on 360.

"As for the future, we've got a brilliant line-up for 2011 but it's ultimately all about Kinect. Kinect is going to blow people's minds. They're [already] buying it, but we've got a line-up of Kinect games that will blow people away."

I wonder what they could have planned that will make people say Wow? or is it all just marketing hype speak?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #963 on: December 24, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
Unless they increase they "quadruple the accuracy", it's all talk. Hell, if they double it, it might even be something.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 27, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
What they are going to do is take the Kinect beyond the 360. PC support is coming, and then all the cool hacks that have been floating around will no longer be hacks, they'll be part of the software.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 06, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
Quote from: Bloomberg
Microsoft has clarified to me that the 8 million KInect number is sell in, or how many were shipped to retailers. Not sell thru.

Forecast for Kinect was 5 mln units sold thru to customers. Microsoft says it `far surpassed' the 5 mln sell thru forecast but no exact #

Going forward, Microsoft says it will return to reporting sell in numbers for Kinect, which is what it has always done for consoles.

Looks like Kinect has hit all it's goals and still one the ground running.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
I was at K-Mart a few weeks ago and there was only one Kinect left. Maybe the rest all sold out, or maybe the store people just leave one on the shelf to make customers think its the last one so they rush to buy it? Who knows. Anyway, if sales are even half of what MS says then at this point Kinect is beyond the point where it could be called a failure (at least in terms of sales).
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
They're showing Avatar Kinect at CES. It's video calling but with your avatar instead of your face. You can sit while doing it, and the avatar didn't walk around.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 08, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
So I played Kinect at a friends and it was quite interesting. I might be converted. I was dead set on getting as PS3 this year with Move but I might go the other way now. Really I want to eventually get both but the fun I had with the dancing games alone might push me over since there's a lot of great regular stuff on 360 as well. Like Snoopy Flying Ace (I just adore that game). But I gotta find some promising and fun Kinect games other than dancing ones before I fully convert and little else interests me at this point.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:47 AM »
Well we bought a Kinect yesterday and while it needs to be mounted up higher because our living room isn't that big it still works really well. It was quite a bit of fun, especially Kinect Sports. Overall a fascinating piece of technology that has a lot of potential. I'm also likely getting PS Move as well for the more traditional games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
Kinect vs Move: Round 1
The Holiday Season has come and gone
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsofts-xbox-360-kinect-bundles-outsold-move-bundles-by-51/
If you want to look at the recent holiday season as "Round 1" of the motion controls battle between Microsoft and Sony, it would appear that Microsoft's Kinect is winning handily (bad pun, considering that it's "hands free" gaming). Not only has Kinect quickly shipped 8 million units, but for the month of December, Xbox 360 Kinect bundles outsold PS3 Move bundles considerably. The software for the motion camera is faring far better too, according to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

"About one fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting a modest third month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). About half of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by 5:1," Pachter said.

"Microsoft announced that it has shipped 8 million Kinect units since launch (in November), which was raised from its earlier goal of 5 million. More significantly, in our view, the top two selling Kinect software titles outsold the top two Move titles by over 13:1."

Looks like this round went overwhelmingly to Kinect, but can Kinect get more quality software to keep the interest up or do you think they will try to ride on the success of Dance Central and Kinect Sports for as long as possible because they have nothing of value in the pipeline?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #971 on: January 14, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Sony had a nice spin to the NPD data, basically focusing on how much sales improved over last December.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 14, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »
I actually meant to repost this in the Move thread to focus on what Sony might do with Move.....
I think I'll do that now that I remember.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »
I'm starting to think that Kinect is going to make it.  It isn't going to get killed off by bad word of mouth.  No one is going to return it to the store when they find out how crappy it is.  This isn't going to happen.  I have never been a fan of the Wii and pretty much made all the same assumptions about it a few years back.  But I was wrong.

I figured motion control was a silly fad because it lacked substance.  Wii Sports seemed short and shallow.  I lost interest in it quickly and figured that it relied a lot of novelty value and that if Nintendo wanted the Wii to continue to be successful that something more substancial needed to be on the way.  Hell the damn game would misfire on me all the time.  Won't other people notice that and be turned off?  But the Wii continued on with lots of waggle and weak shovelware titles and it didn't make a difference.  Casuals obviously didn't care.

I felt that with the Wii and the Wii series Nintendo was doing the bare minimum they could get away with.  I think subconsciously most of us thought that, even if you are a big fan of the Wii Series games.  The reason I think that is with Move we all assumed it was doomed because they wouldn't have Nintendo's games and the cost would be too high and Kinect was even more doomed because it had all the above plus it didn't work worth a ****.  What we were really saying is that Wii Sports and Wii Fit and all those are at the low end of the spectum.  If you released product that was LESS than that you were doomed to failure.  Casuals will eat up the Nintendo stuff but this is more or less the worst product you could get away with.

Well I have a feeling that we can't really seperate our own tastes and that the threshold of what is or isn't acceptable to casuals is a lot lower than we think.  For casuals Wii Sports is not the threshold.  They will gladly accept less.  I think what it really is is that Nintendo's Wii series is the minimum that WE will accept.  We'll enjoy Wii Sports and Wii Fit but really couldn't enjoy less than that.  So Sony or MS doing a lesser version of the Wii seems like worthless junk in our eyes.  We're confusing our minimum standards for that of everyone.  We see Nintendo's usage of motion control and figure that nothing less than that would be acceptable.  We're probably wrong and that's why the Kinect is succeeding when we don't think it should.

When Nintendo talked about their games being for everyone they weren't kidding.  I thought it meant dumbing down core games so that casuals like them too.  No, what they did was take casual games and bring them up to a level where core gamers can get some enjoyment from them too.  Sony and MS are not doing that.

^ This post was FOUR YEARS in the making.  You could’ve saved us a lot of TRASHBAGS starting in 2006, longtime traditional pre-tendo jackass. Hope you enjoy replying and whining with brand new members for the remainder of the year. THE END
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 30, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question, but have any Kinect games come out since the launch of the device?  I haven't been paying close attention, but I honestly can't think of a single notable release.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!