Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010  (Read 213745 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010
« Reply #900 on: November 15, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
PS Move didn't fair that well, I think they sold around 400,000 in the first 10 days (may have been first week). I think PS Move is catered to the wrong audience, PlayStation 3 is basically a hard core gamer's system, and Xbox 360 is becoming what the Wii set out to be, a video game console for everyone, with the library to back it up. The whole avatar thing was a huge Wii ripoff, no doubt, but it's working out now, Kinect is selling like a motherfucker. I'm probably going to get one on Tuesday or Wednesday myself. Personally I think Move has more potential tech-wise, but Kinect is gonna kick it's ass, and it's better for kids...and I've got kids. Sony's got it all wrong with the "who says motion gaming is for kids?" and Microsoft has it all right, basically showing that it is for kids, but adults can have fun too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #901 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »
He's saying consumers love it based on the strong initial sales, but lets give it some time and see how much consumers "love it" once they've taken it home and begin the difficult task of getting it set up/working.

What was difficult about it? I plugged mine in and it started up. Yes, it needed to be initialized, but its not a difficult thing to do.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 15, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
I see the big difference being the incredible amount of money MS is putting into launching this thing and also launching much closer to Christmas.

Don't forget traditionally software for the xbox is huge the first few weeks (or week) then drops like a rock.  Kinect  also apparently had a ton of preorders that also makes the opening sales very large.  Will an add-on be any different?  I think the Christmas season will at least keep the sales up but I still expect a drop afterwards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:09 AM »
Rumor: Gears of War Coming to Kinect
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1134355p1.html
According to our tip, Microsoft is using the Spike TV Video Games Awards (VGAs) to introduce some big action games, including new titles for the Kinect. The headliner is Gears of War for Kinect, coming straight from Epic Games. Now, we cannot clarify whether or not this is an all-new Gears of War for Kinect or if it's an existing Gears of War game, retro-fitted for the camera controller. But it definitely clicks with recent rumblings that Microsoft wants to get in front of the conventional wisdom that the Kinect is only a toy for casual gamers and family.

I can't wait to see that.

Duck behind the couch for cover pop out and roll behind the table "pew pew pew"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 16, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »
Rumor: Gears of War Coming to Kinect
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1134355p1.html
According to our tip, Microsoft is using the Spike TV Video Games Awards (VGAs) to introduce some big action games, including new titles for the Kinect. The headliner is Gears of War for Kinect, coming straight from Epic Games. Now, we cannot clarify whether or not this is an all-new Gears of War for Kinect or if it's an existing Gears of War game, retro-fitted for the camera controller. But it definitely clicks with recent rumblings that Microsoft wants to get in front of the conventional wisdom that the Kinect is only a toy for casual gamers and family.

I can't wait to see that.

Duck behind the couch for cover pop out and roll behind the table "pew pew pew"

It will be a rail-shooter mode and wherever you point is where the gun will fire. :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #905 on: November 16, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
Didn't Epic Games say they didn't think GOW could work with Kinect?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
Kinect doubles UK Xbox sales
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-16-kinect-doubles-uk-xbox-sales
Sales of Xbox 360 in the UK doubled last week off the back of the launch of Kinect, Eurogamer has learnt.

The spike was confirmed this afternoon by sales monitor Chart-Track, a spokesperson stating that, while specific figures could not be revealed, it was "more than a fair reflection" to say the figure was double that of the previous week.

The boost is understood to have widened substantially the gap between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with Sony's biggest hope for a pre-Christmas surge coming next week with the release of the long-delayed Gran Turismo 5.

A senior publishing source added: "360 doubled last week and it was already selling a lot. Wii and PS3 have been beaten by 360 consistently over the past few months.

"Wii is still outselling PS3 – the numbers are going the wrong way for Nintendo year-on-year but it's certainly not a disaster."

Still sort of pointless info without any numbers, but atleast we also know that the Wii isn't a disaster :D

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 16, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
I find the Kinect intriguing, mostly because of homebrew. I feel like the actual use for games is pretty much a gimmick, but controlling your TV or computer with it would be pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:46:45 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 16, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
Here is Kinect running on a PC

Full 3D live video capture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QrnwoO1-8A

Minority Report-like multitouch interface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6Yhz21BJI

& 3D drawing too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brpu30vjCa4

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 17, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »
Today's Penny Arcade comic is pretty funny and I can really relate to it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/11/17/

I felt like they do back when the Wii was selling so huge.  I didn't get it and I don't get Kinect.  You get the feeling that maybe this is a generational shift kind of thing.  Games are changing and the old folks don't get it.  It's no different then how I hear something like Justin Bieber and I think "how can anyone with a functional brain like this" but then my parents said the same thing when I was a kid listening to MC Hammer.

If Kinect is a big hit and doesn't die off after initial launch success then, yeah, I can't make any judgement call on what games will sell.  The door is pretty much open for anything to be a hit.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #910 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
I get the idea of Kinect and like it, what boggles me is why so many people would be willing to pay $150 for it. I don't think it's worth anywhere near that, Microsoft got the last laugh though and the damn thing costs less than $60 to make, but I guess they want to make back that $500 million they are spending on advertising. They have to sell over 5 million devices just to make back their marketing budget. If it was $100, I would maybe consider buying one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
Remember, that's $56 for bare parts. It does not account for manufacturing, engineering costs, or anything else but the bare parts. With that in mind, I got Kinect today, and I must admit, it's quite impressive. It took a little while to get it calibrated for myself and my daughter, but we had a blast playing with it. Only played Kinect Adventures so far, my kid's gonna play Kinectimals in a little bit.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 17, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
So...I just made sure no one was looking, and played the Dance Central demo that's on the Kinect Adventures disc. The move detection was flawless, at least in my family room.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #913 on: November 18, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »
chickenshit  :P

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #914 on: November 18, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
Has anyone tried the Kinect demo at Best Buy? I would like to try it and see if I like Kinect, but store demos are not always good.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
I'm starting to think that Kinect is going to make it.  It isn't going to get killed off by bad word of mouth.  No one is going to return it to the store when they find out how crappy it is.  This isn't going to happen.  I have never been a fan of the Wii and pretty much made all the same assumptions about it a few years back.  But I was wrong.

I figured motion control was a silly fad because it lacked substance.  Wii Sports seemed short and shallow.  I lost interest in it quickly and figured that it relied a lot of novelty value and that if Nintendo wanted the Wii to continue to be successful that something more substancial needed to be on the way.  Hell the damn game would misfire on me all the time.  Won't other people notice that and be turned off?  But the Wii continued on with lots of waggle and weak shovelware titles and it didn't make a difference.  Casuals obviously didn't care.

I felt that with the Wii and the Wii series Nintendo was doing the bare minimum they could get away with.  I think subconsciously most of us thought that, even if you are a big fan of the Wii Series games.  The reason I think that is with Move we all assumed it was doomed because they wouldn't have Nintendo's games and the cost would be too high and Kinect was even more doomed because it had all the above plus it didn't work worth a ****.  What we were really saying is that Wii Sports and Wii Fit and all those are at the low end of the spectum.  If you released product that was LESS than that you were doomed to failure.  Casuals will eat up the Nintendo stuff but this is more or less the worst product you could get away with.

Well I have a feeling that we can't really seperate our own tastes and that the threshold of what is or isn't acceptable to casuals is a lot lower than we think.  For casuals Wii Sports is not the threshold.  They will gladly accept less.  I think what it really is is that Nintendo's Wii series is the minimum that WE will accept.  We'll enjoy Wii Sports and Wii Fit but really couldn't enjoy less than that.  So Sony or MS doing a lesser version of the Wii seems like worthless junk in our eyes.  We're confusing our minimum standards for that of everyone.  We see Nintendo's usage of motion control and figure that nothing less than that would be acceptable.  We're probably wrong and that's why the Kinect is succeeding when we don't think it should.

When Nintendo talked about their games being for everyone they weren't kidding.  I thought it meant dumbing down core games so that casuals like them too.  No, what they did was take casual games and bring them up to a level where core gamers can get some enjoyment from them too.  Sony and MS are not doing that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:24:19 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #916 on: November 18, 2010, 07:33:28 PM »
No, Kinect won't be sent back to the store...

The question is will fun games come out for it?  If the games are fun people will play it.  Just like the Wii.  The casuals and gamers are basically of the same opinion with the Wii, if fun games come out that they want to play, they will dust off their Wii buy the game and into the system again.  The difference is that casuals and gamers like different types of games.

Kinect is in the same boat...the initial sale is what is important and Microsoft knows that.  If they can get it into the house, then they have won.  Nobody returns crappy products...just broken products.  So if it is in the house...when a new fun game comes out people will buy it.  I think Kinect is a harder sell for the gamers though, because they understand this can never be the future of gaming...at least this product without another controller can never be the future. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #917 on: November 18, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
Minor point, but almost no store lets you return video game products anymore (unless they are damaged, but then you can only exchange it for a new copy), you can only trade them in.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »
I don't know where you got that from, but Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc will all take back this stuff. You can't return games anywhere (unless you bought used at GameSpot), but this is hardware...you can take it back. GameStop won't refund it, but they've never given refunds on anything, except for used games and took them back within 7 days.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 19, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »
Minor point, but almost no store lets you return video game products anymore (unless they are damaged, but then you can only exchange it for a new copy), you can only trade them in.

What would they do if every single copy in existence were damaged? (as was the case with the old E.T. game on the Atari 2600, which not only sucked terribly but was actually broken to the point where it was impossible to win)
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 19, 2010, 04:17:36 AM »
I can see someone getting it and once they discover their kid is too short for it to register them they would return it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:17 PM »
Interactive Puppet Demo for Kinect (Homebrew)
http://www.vimeo.com/16985224

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 19, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
On NPR Science Friday today they were talking about Kinect with some developers from Microsoft.  It was basically a discussion of how its a revolution in interfacing with technology.  It sounded like they were more interested in real world applications of this than actually gaming.  Though one lady said it was perfect for gaming since the only limit is what your body can do, but when I'm gaming I want to be able to do things I can't necessarly do in real life so that actually sounds somewhat limiting.

I think, as it was discussed, this will eventually be the platform for personal training software such as learning to improve your golf swing, etc. instead of "hardcore" gaming.

It also sounded like it's just a sophisticated sensor and you can access the information it's collecting through USB so it seems if one is so inclined you can basically run this on any system if you know what information your looking for.   

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 19, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
The amateur tech enthusiast circle has been having alot of fun with Kinect and made some pretty interesting things with it so far in the 2 weeks since it's been released.

Now I wait for someone to truly come up with something practical and useful now that we know they are able to collect just about everything Kinect is detecting. I still think it's a nice piece of tech, I just don't see it finding it's best uses in a gaming environment.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Agreed.  It seems that they're counting on its gaming applications to sell it to the early adopters then expand it to a wider audiance.