Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010  (Read 215059 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's Xbox Kinect - Nov 4th 2010
« Reply #975 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »
I'm not sure how Kinect is gonna do going forward. Only 2 games have sold any amount worth mentioning (Kinect Sports & Dance Central), but there are games on the way. Ubisoft has 3 coming, MS has a few and I'm sure there are atleast a dozen or so more that have been announced somewhere that don't have any specific release date yet.

I don't think too many Japanese devs are even thinking about Kinect at the moment, so it's up to the Euro and US devs to carry the peripheral.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 30, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
I'm not sure how Kinect is gonna do going forward. Only 2 games have sold any amount worth mentioning (Kinect Sports & Dance Central), but there are games on the way. Ubisoft has 3 coming, MS has a few and I'm sure there are atleast a dozen or so more that have been announced somewhere that don't have any specific release date yet.

I don't think too many Japanese devs are even thinking about Kinect at the moment, so it's up to the Euro and US devs to carry the peripheral.

Hasn't Kinectamals sold decently? Really there are only 3 or 4 decent games for Kinect, Dance Central, that fitness game, Kinect Sports, and Kinectamals.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 30, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question, but have any Kinect games come out since the launch of the device?  I haven't been paying close attention, but I honestly can't think of a single notable release.

One of them was actually the deal of the day on Amazon today.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:36 AM »
Looks like SSX might be making it's way over to Kinect in the near future.

MS has registered 2 new domains with the following addresses
www.ssxkinect.com and www.kinectssx.com

not a confirmation of anything, but definitely some bread crumbs hopefully leading to an announcement of some sort.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
A new Kinect game was just announced

Gun Stringer
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1146934p1.html
What is Gunstringer?
Gunstringer is a Kinect game from Twisted Pixel, developer of 'Splosion Man and Comic Jumper. It looks quite different than the other Kinect games we've seen so far.

The Gunstringer
What type of game is it?
It's a cross between a platformer and a shooter starring a skeleton cowboy that you puppeteer with your hands. There appears to be a lot of on-rails shooting sequences. The action on screen is supposed to be a puppet show, complete with an audience cheering you on.

What's the story?
Somebody did The Gunstringer wrong, and he's gonna make 'em pay. It's a Western revenge story inspired by "A Fistful of Dollars."

How do the Kinect controls work?
Based on the trailer, we know that you'll be holding your hands out in front of you as if you were controlling a marionette. Looks like you'll also be mimicking actions like spinning your revolver. It's unclear at this time how shooting is handled.

Will Gunstringer be a retail or downloadable game?
Twisted Pixel isn't revealing this, yet. All of the developer's previous releases have been downloadable from Xbox Live Arcade. We know there are multiple downloadable Kinect games in the works from various developers, but so far Kinect software is only available at retail.

Is there multiplayer?
Looks like there is a cooperative mode where two players shoot at enemies in on-rails sequences.

When's it coming out?
Twisted Pixel hasn't announced a release date for Gunstringer yet.
http://www.thegunstringer.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R42-CJjPSRE

Notice how they never showed how you get him to shoot.....

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #981 on: February 10, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
It sounds exactly like that one Disney Channel Original Movie about that house that was also Peg from Married with Children and also Leela from Futurama.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 09, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »
Kinect Set Guinness World Record for "fastest selling consumer electronics product"
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Press/archive/2011/0308-Ten-Million-Kinects
Following one of the biggest launches in consumer electronics history, Kinect for Xbox 360 continued its momentum in 2011, reaching 10 million Kinect sensors sold [read: shipped] worldwide to date. Not only were sensor sales an overwhelming success, but Kinect drove significant game sales with more than 10 million standalone Kinect games sold[also read: shipped] worldwide to date.

In a nod to the recent sales success of Kinect, Guinness World Records has officially named Kinect for Xbox 360 the fastest-selling consumer electronics device, which sold an average of 133,333 units per day for a total of eight million units in its first 60 days between November 4, 2010 and January 3, 2011. The record confirmation comes just after the latest release of the Guinness World Records 2011 Gameris Edition, which features dedicated sections to Kinect.

So Kinect games sold shipped 1:1 with the hardware.... that makes sense. Not the best attach ratio, but no point in buying a Kinect and have no software to use it with.

But 10 million units available for purchase (and most of them already in homes) must make MS happy.

Also recent posting show that MS is just now hiring for the early development phase of the NeXbox, so it looks like MS had everything riding on Kinect as it needs to carry the system for the next 2 years if that job posting is to be believed.

So where are all the Kinect games at MS!?

edit: [my notes]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:16:15 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #983 on: March 09, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Record, BS. It even says it is shipped, so I don't think it can count.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 09, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
I added the shipped

I probably should have mentioned that. IGN confirms it's sold to retailers, not to consumers. Also a few months back MS said in a PR that they would only report "shipped" numbers from here on out to avoid confusion.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1154530p1.html
Microsoft today announced it has now shipped 10 million Kinect units worldwide to retailers - not sold to consumers - since launch in November. The company also said it shipped over 10 million Kinect first and third-party software titles to date.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:19:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 09, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
It was sold to retailers (not consumers). So it isn't lying if you look at it that way. Although there has to be some consumer demand or else retailers wouldn't be stocking up on so many of them this many months after its launch. I think demand could stall if the software support doesn't keep pace, and that seems to be what is happening...
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 12, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
It's only 10a.m but a friend and I did some baking after waking and now after all that cooking we're both too lazy to get up and get the remote. Just thought how awesome it be if his Kinect controlled the T.V. Microsoft is trying to do that, and hopefully it happens soon, like today would be great. ;) Teleportation through the Nexbox would also be great cuz I don't feel like walking the 5 blocks back home...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 21, 2011, 02:17:40 PM »
This may not exactly be Kinect related as it's more GFWL related, but i didn't see a thread for it and didn't want to make a new one. They were using Kinect movements in the video, so there is enough connection to just post it here.

This is Microsoft's vision for WGX aka the Windows Gaming eXperience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA

I've never really used GFWL outside of a few games that I've played that used it (Batman: AA & AoE III) so I don't have much experience with the service. I just keep hearing that it's broken (they only offer about 40-60 different games total last I checked) and MS saying how they are trying to improve the experience. OTOH I've had excellent experience using Steam from chat and online multi to keeping my video drivers and games upto date.

So what does everyone think of MS's vision of PC gaming future?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
That was pretty stupid, IMO. I don't care about PC gaming in general, but I did notice that the video pretty much reveals that Halo 3 will come out for the PC, and will work with Kinect (at least that's the impression that I got).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 21, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
There's a hack out that allows a jailbroken PS3 to use a kinect.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/03/20/kinect-for-ps3/
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »
The only game I have that uses GFWL is Dawn of War 2 and it's broken. It shits it's pants auto updating and I can't be fucked fixing it. When it was "working" everything about it was opaque and you still had to run steam(A superior program) in the background, but it handled everything steam did, but worse. Voices are mangled/distorted, lags, bad match making, loses connection to server more often than Bnet(Better, no where near steam good). GFWL is obviously windows only, which is a backwards thing these days and even if they offered it for Mac, I wouldn't take it. Stacks on top of any other client/drm without offering anything good in return.

MS can take it's gaming Future and SHOVEL it.

That said, Mac App Store isn't any better. Overpriced and does nothing for the customer. You might as well just buy direct from the developer if you can. I would stay away from it like it's the plague.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
The Mac App Store is certainly better than what you described GFWL as, in that it's not at all broken. I'd prefer Steam, but neither Aspyr nor Feral support it, and I'd much rather go with Apple's DRM than Aspyr's proprietary system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 22, 2011, 05:15:19 AM »
This may not exactly be Kinect related as it's more GFWL related, but i didn't see a thread for it and didn't want to make a new one. They were using Kinect movements in the video, so there is enough connection to just post it here.

This is Microsoft's vision for WGX aka the Windows Gaming eXperience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA

I've never really used GFWL outside of a few games that I've played that used it (Batman: AA & AoE III) so I don't have much experience with the service. I just keep hearing that it's broken (they only offer about 40-60 different games total last I checked) and MS saying how they are trying to improve the experience. OTOH I've had excellent experience using Steam from chat and online multi to keeping my video drivers and games upto date.

So what does everyone think of MS's vision of PC gaming future?

Dude, that video got 299 likes, 8,502 dislike. LOL
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
It's funny to think of MS having a vision for the future of PC gaming when MS is largely responsible for killing PC gaming.  The Xbox changed PC gaming by getting PC developers on board with consoles.  Now most PC games are multiplatform releases where the consoles are the target platform.

GFWL feels like a token effort because that's really what it is.  Microsoft has the PC industry sewn up thanks to Windows.  They don't need games to get you to buy a PC.  But they do need games to get you to buy an Xbox 360.  So I think it's clear where their priorities lie.  If GFWL truly succeeded then it would eat into the Xbox 360 market but the Xbox 360 does not eat into the Windows market.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 16, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
MS to serve the "Harcore" with Kinect @ E3 2011
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-kinect-ms-to-serve-hardcore-at-e3
At least 10 non-sequel Kinect games will be announced at trade show E3 next month, Eurogamer can reveal.

One source told us these games "won't be obvious". Another source said Microsoft is expected to "serve the hardcore" at E3 with its Kinect announcements.

This is in addition to planned announcements of sequels to Kinect games, Eurogamer sources have indicated.

Rare will unveil Kinect Sports 2, set for release Christmas 2011, Eurogamer understands.

Rare is also hard at work on a second Kinect game, although this is under wraps. We do know, however, that this game is not associated with any of Rare's established characters, such as Banjo.

They also mention an exclusive Dance Central 2 (did that ever come out for another system?)
A previous Kinect dev has 2 more pieces of software to unveil
and MS has started a new studio focused on family entertainment (no, it's not Rare) called MGS Family.

Microsoft plans to triple the number of games available for Kinect by the end of 2011.

Meanwhile, Eurogamer has heard an open world driving game called Forza World is in development at UK developer Playground Games, helmed by ex-Codemasters racing studio executive producer Gavin Raeburn.

there are more details on upcoming/expected MS/Kinect announcements @ the link.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:05:20 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
and MS has started a new studio

Why can't Nintendo do this?
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
and MS has started a new studio

Why can't Nintendo do this?

Isn't that how EAD Tokyo came about?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 19, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
And based on recent job postings, it's sounding like Nintendo's adding another development team at Retro.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
Stars Wars & Disneyland Adventures Kinect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuchHcnzHq4

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
The Star Wars game looks pretty basic in a way.  Sort of interesting concepts.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.