Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615224 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1200 on: September 08, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »
It'd be interesting if they use the Motion+ controls to add more depth to the combat.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 08, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
It'd be interesting if they use the Motion+ controls to add more depth to the combat.

That would be a great idea. Imagine facing off against Onox and having to slash the spaces between his armor to beat him.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:17 AM »
Will travel via ship across the oceans of Hyrule return for this title? I actually hope so, but I hope that it is not as tedious as Wind Waker.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
Will travel via ship across the oceans of Hyrule return for this title? I actually hope so, but I hope that it is not as tedious as Wind Waker.

I highly doubt that, given the title and what we've seen so far, which would seem to indicate flight as a method of travel.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:59 AM »

I highly doubt that, given the title and what we've seen so far, which would seem to indicate flight as a method of travel.

*imagines having to use a magic, musical doo-hickey to change the current of the wind to glide across Hyrule*

*shudders violently*

No, just...No.  Hopefully, Nintendo will use something a lot more free-form.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 09, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
Some kind of hang glider style device will most likely be implemented for Link to use for flight.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
I hope the owl plays a role, haven't seen him for awhile and I STILL don't know if he's good or evil :evil;
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 09, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
Masks were a big deal in Majora's Mask, so I have the idea that in Skyward Sword there should be different cloth's and armor for
Link to wear and customize. Some kind of owl outfit would be a nic addition.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 09, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
I hope the owl plays a role, haven't seen him for awhile and I STILL don't know if he's good or evil :evil;
He's gotta be evil. Think about it. He follows Link around everywhere, constantly observing him, and shows up in the oddest of places. He also seems to know a lot about enemies, and seems to know things about Link that Link himself doesn't know. How is he not some kind of evil scout?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 09, 2010, 06:11:28 PM »
True. But has he ever guided you in the wrong direction? Tricked you into implementing Gandalf's evil plan (besides wasting time with copious amounts of text)? Since he knows so much, couldn't he be one of the goddesses trying to guard Hyrule?

For now it remains...an unsolved mystery
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 09, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
He needed to gain Link's trust in order to continue to observe him. He's probably one of those evildoers who perpetually overestimates the competence of his minions, always assuming the boss of the next dungeon will do Link in.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »
I think you guys are reading too much into things.  The Owl is the convention of which the game instructs the player on where to go next.  I am certain Nintendo put no more thought into it than that.  So in that sense I assumed he was a good guy from the start.  He's like those old dudes in the first game that give you hints in the dungeons.  Have you ever stopped to think about who those guys are and what their motivations are or are they just a nifty way to give the player hints?

Thought I assumed that the owl in Ocarina of Time was the Sage from the Temple of Time.  The owl and the Mask Salesman probably are depicted as "mysterious" so that the devs don't have to come up with a reason for them to be telling the player what to do.  I'm sure there is no real idea in any of the developers' head what the backstory is for either character.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
If you hit one of the statues in Ocarina of Time with the eye of truth mask on it will say that the owl was a reincarnation of one of the original Sages.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 09, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
Good info Stratos!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:02 PM »
I am more suspicous of the Happy Mask Salesman being a villain than the owl. I actually like the owl and wished he would appear in future titles, including Skyward Sword.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
My theory is that there never was an owl and that it was all in Link's mind.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »
I think you guys are reading too much into things.
We are. That's the point. It's fun to create wild theories about the characters left unexplained.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 10, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
my theory about he Happy Masked Salesman, or HMS, is that he is an evil deity that is orchestrating things from the sidelines and is in fact the true evil of the series. He manipulates all the villains of the series, including Ganon, and is the LoZ version of Satan.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 10, 2010, 12:14:22 AM »
The Happy Mask Salesman is going to wait 100 years for a male Gerudo to be born so that he could make him win over the king's trust then fail and lure link to the Temple of Time so he could invade the Sacred Realm and hijack the Triforce just to make a few bucks on masks in a backwater suburb of Hyrule? If he could think that far ahead he should just play the Treasure Chest game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »
my theory about he Happy Masked Salesman, or HMS, is that he is an evil deity that is orchestrating things from the sidelines and is in fact the true evil of the series. He manipulates all the villains of the series, including Ganon, and is the LoZ version of Satan.

I think you're working under the mistaken impression that M. Night Shyamalan is in charge of writing the Zelda story.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 10, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »

I think you're working under the mistaken impression that M. Night Shyamalan is in charge of writing the Zelda story.

Here are a few articles on the subject:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/879/t1519455-happy-mask-salesman-theory/

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/zelda-theorizing/71100-happy-mask-salesman-evil-relation-fierce-deity.html

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Happy_Mask_Salesman

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 10, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »
The owl is the most evil creature in Hyrule.

:skip:A, A, A, A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A Would you like to hear it again? A               NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 10, 2010, 05:24:43 AM »

The Happy Mask Salesman is Legend of Zelda's Tom Bombadil. A twisted and slightly demented Tom Bombadil, but still fits the role. HMSM is like if Tom Bombadil started a mask shop and became bi-polar. One of the strongest theories about Bombadil is that he is one of the gods in Tolkien's world taken human form. But many people agree that there can be no definite answer to who he is meant to be.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
I would not mind having the four seperate Links that was featured in Four Swords Adventure for a bigger title such as Skyward Sword.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 11, 2010, 04:41:36 AM »
I think you guys are reading too much into things.  The Owl is the convention of which the game instructs the player on where to go next.  I am certain Nintendo put no more thought into it than that.  So in that sense I assumed he was a good guy from the start.  He's like those old dudes in the first game that give you hints in the dungeons.  Have you ever stopped to think about who those guys are and what their motivations are or are they just a nifty way to give the player hints?

Thought I assumed that the owl in Ocarina of Time was the Sage from the Temple of Time.  The owl and the Mask Salesman probably are depicted as "mysterious" so that the devs don't have to come up with a reason for them to be telling the player what to do.  I'm sure there is no real idea in any of the developers' head what the backstory is for either character.

Those old dudes hiding in secret caves and selling weapons are very obviously merchants on the black market. I'm serious. Who else sells weapons in secret places? I always loved how if you attacked them they would start hurling fireballs at you and you could actually end up dead in their shops... which is very different from the Zelda games of today which do not let you attack shopkeepers.
is your sanity...