Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615274 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1375 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »
It's not 1-1 motion... it detects orientation, but it simplifies it down to vertical and horizontal directions, probably for accessibility purposes.

Except the new trailer shows diagonal slashes as well and you are able to do things like spin the sword around the eye to open a door as well as stab.

The difference is incredibly slight and it seems like you are basically arguing semantics.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:14:25 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1376 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »
You're right that there's a certain component of 1-1 for pointing and such, but when it comes to swinging, it's still basically gesture-based.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:44 PM »
So the game basically corrects a slash to be slightly straighter.  I'm not seeing a problem here.

The new enemies look really cool.  I especially like the big guy whose shield you can cut through and the spider you have to knock up than stab.

How do you think the tight rope walking works?  I understand the balance is probably the remote but how do you knock the other guys off?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:35:32 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
Not slightly. There's a totally different strategy between actual swordmanship and slash left, right, and down. Unless things have changed a lot, there will be a lot of gimmick enemies based on left/right/down swinging.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 03, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »
Not slightly. There's a totally different strategy between actual swordmanship and slash left, right, and down. Unless things have changed a lot, there will be a lot of gimmick enemies based on left/right/down swinging.

Yes, slightly.  I can see the videos and with all the ways slashes are made, there simply isn't enough difference to have things changed more than slightly.  Also there are far more than the three diffent ways to slash you mention.

Guess what, this isn't actual swordsmanship.  If it was we would need motion+ for our feet because they are pretty much the most important part.  Much like Resort they brought the mechanics of the fights to an intuitive level.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:19:48 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
When I played it, it only had 90-degree directions. The new trailer shows 45 degree cuts, so that's more hopeful. The problem remains that there aren't any subtle motions -- you still have to swing it hard to make a swing; there are no partial swings or mid-swing changes/arcing.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 03, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
The new trailer has up, down, left right and at least 45 degrees in all directions.  I didn't realize how much wasn't in the first demo so it's possible that it isn't locked into those paths at all.

When you talk about partial swings and stuff you are talking about the fighting mechanics not the motion controls.  It's their decision to control what you can do in the game since you are not actually holding a sword so you don't have the limitations the actual character does, nor do most people have swordfighting expertise. (Frankly with a sword like Link's I don't think most of them would be possible or desirable)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:33:54 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 03, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
As somebody who really enjoyed the Sword Fighting in Red Steel 2, I am looking forward to this.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 03, 2011, 03:15:22 AM »
Looks like the sword girl is the new Navi, and look at the fat Moblin, Link has a harp as a musical item. Also guys there is a strange bar next to the shield icon. Doesnt look like magic at all as it doesnt seem to change in the trailer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:18:49 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 03, 2011, 04:19:25 AM »
Looks like the sword girl is the new Navi, and look at the fat Moblin, Link has a harp as a musical item. Also guys there is a strange bar next to the shield icon. Doesnt look like magic at all as it doesnt seem to change in the trailer.
Maybe your shield can break sort of like how it could burn away in OoT.
I would like differen't shields that get better and more durable as they get better.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Im pretty sure he never uses the shield in the trailer aswell.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 03, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
I can see where MB is coming from. It would be cool to cut semi-circles into an enemy's head, or carve your initials in a tree, but the swordplay dynamic of this game is still leaps and bounds above any other Zelda game. And those actions I mentioned could still be possible. What it seems like to me, is that when you target an enemy your strikes translate to compass points, but otherwise it's pretty much 1-1 motion. So if there are enemies who don't require a specific death-strike maybe we can carve our initials in their heads.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
The issue with the sword fighting is Nintendo has to find a balance to keep the game playable.  Zelda isn't some hardcore sword fighting game.  It's more about having an adventure and fighting is only an element of it.  If you do really accurate sword fighting you're pretty much asking the player to know how to sword fight in real life.  It would be like requiring you to actually know how to play an Ocarina in real life.  So there is going to be some leeway.  The game has to help you a bit.

I just want to feel like what I do has a real effect on what happens on the screen.  If it's just gestures, it's crap.  That's just taking what Ocarina of Time already had and making me work harder to get the same results.  I'm not impressed with waggle.  The novelty value has zero effect on me and it's less precise than digital buttons and in a game like Zelda where I will be playing for several hours at a time I don't want to be waving my arms around constantly.  The amount of additional effort required by motion control has to be worthwhile.  The fun and entertainment of it should make it worth the hassle.  If it's just waggle, it isn't worth it and I'm just going to be annoyed that Nintendo doesn't provide me the option to map the gestures to buttons.

If you could just map it to buttons, it's a failure.  It's worthless.  It has to be such that you're playing and thinking "this couldn't be done any other way".  With Super Mario 64 I never thought "they should just give me a run button".  It was clear that that just would not work.  But with the Wii?  Aside from the Wii Series I usually feel that not only could you map the waggle to a button but that the game would control BETTER as a result.  So this should be such that having traditional controls just would not work and also that making Motion+ a requirement was absolutely necessary and worthwhile.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
That new trailer did nothing for me.

It could have been the low capture quality, but I'm just not sold on it through that trailer.

Also WTF is up with the big ass Wiimote all over the right side of the screen?
I hope you can make it smaller, reduce it down to just the buttons for those of us not unfamiliar with the Wiimote setup and have the option to just remove it altogether if we chose to.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1389 on: March 03, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »
BlackNMild if memory serves that type of thing was on the screen at E3 for Twilight Princess. Pretty sure it will be gone once the the game releases.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1390 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
Also WTF is up with the big ass Wiimote all over the right side of the screen?
I hope you can make it smaller, reduce it down to just the buttons for those of us not unfamiliar with the Wiimote setup and have the option to just remove it altogether if we chose to.
They said at E3 2010 that you'll have the option to remove the HUD altogether if you wanted.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 05, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
I want to watch the trailer because of the discussion in this thread, but I also don't want to get excited for something that's still a long time from release. What to do, what to do... ???

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 05, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
I just say watch it. If you get happy great, if you feel dissapointed well at least your expectations will be low leaving room for many unexpected surprises.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
This game is getting that magical look that Zelda has lost over the years!

Sky Loft confirmed! A cloudy over world!
Flying on birds confirmed!
Entire game is like a big dungeon!
Weapons can be upgraded! Instead of constant rupies, you find horns and such which can be used to power up weapons.
Graphics are better than GDC's showing.

Looks amazing I am finally excited!

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
Flying on birds confirmed!
Entire game is like a big dungeon!

Those to got me. That's exactly what I've been wanting since WW came out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1395 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
SS flying looks a lot funner than the sailing in Wind Waker. I'm really excited to play this for myself.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
The guy who was demoing the game looked and sounded genuinely excited. He's like "and there are puzzles everywhere, the whole game is like one big dungeoun!" Paraphrazing but it looked great. I expect to see quite a bit behind closed doors.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 07, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
He did sound flustered at one point didn't he? I remember specifically when he said something to the effect of "I could talk for 30 minutes about whats new in this game."

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
May I please ask where you're getting these new details from? I feel out of the loop, and my internet connection has gone awol, so it's difficult to keep up with everything that's going on.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
It was a demo shown off to GameTrailer folks.

I'm sure NWR will have impressions up tonight or tomorrow.