Author Topic: Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »
Hahaha... all I have to say at the moment is that besides the annoying Banjo-Kazooie voices this games is quite interesting.

It's Tea Time!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
I may get this, it looks to be a really interesting game except for the fact I seen pictures of a water level with some big scary aquatic creatures.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
EA announced some time ago that they were aiming this at the casuals and have hence made the game trivially easy but that was before their casual division was up against the wall. Did they actually do that?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
EA announced some time ago that they were aiming this at the casuals and have hence made the game trivially easy but that was before their casual division was up against the wall. Did they actually do that?

Most of the complaints in the reviews I've seen were because of how difficult the game is.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

I honestly have not heard about that. Are you sure you didn't misread the statement or did EA flat out say the game was going to be super easy? Just because it may be aimed at casual gamers doesn't automatically mean a game will be easy, just like a game aimed at gamers doesn't make it hard.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
They came out and said that, I recall Malstrom pointing that out as an example of the wrong mentality and the reason he called the casual division the retard division ("bunch of mindless jerks" would have worked so much better...).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:05:51 AM »
Well I bought it today, so I"ll see! (Unless the water level freaks me out and I quit)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
OK I put in an hour or so into this game and it is FANTASTIC so far. The game seems to be well designed in regards to difficulty it slowly ramps up like any good Mario platformer. The humor is weird but hilarious, even the Banjo-Kazooie voices are quite funny (Lady D will make you LOL).  The game is well animated with well designed levels and fun boss battles.

To elaborate a bit more on how the game works, when you kill and enemy or find an item they go down to your puzzle screen. You just hit Y (I believe it is why) and you jump to the puzzle screen  which pauses the platforming game. From there it basically works by matching at least 3 of a kind in colors to eliminate the blocks. To finish off the enemies they will be turned into enemy blocks of a certain color which will in turn need to be matched like any other block, the same applies to items. If you don't eliminate an enemy and they are pushed out of the screen you need to fight them in the platforming section as a block that tries to crush you. So it is best to get rid of them as soon as possible in the puzzle screen.

In order to make sure you don't spend all your time in the puzzle screen there is a timer bar that slowly depletes, you can get more time if you match certain blocks or if you play the main platforming game (I think it grows when you beat enemies in addition to just spending time in the platforming world). You also have another gauge that is linked to special moves that also grows as you complete puzzles and defeat enemies in the "real world". If it fills up completely you can turn into Mech Hatsworth (Yes you read that right) who is pretty much invincible though he rapidly depletes the power gauge.

Anyway this game is GREAT and if you like 2D platformers like Wario Land Shake It or any of the 2D Mario games you should love this game, it has a very Nintendo like vibe to it. The controls are also extremely tight as well.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
Question: How long is it? Is there replay value?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
It's quite long, and there are a LOT of secret levels that you unlock by finding secret exits in the normal levels.  (Think Super Mario World.)  The first world is laughably easy, and then things get difficult (but also more interesting) pretty fast.  I'm on the third world boss right now and have lost over a dozen lives trying to pass it.  Luckily, the extra lives are pretty common.  Unluckily, you will need them.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Question: How long is it? Is there replay value?

I don't know how long it is because I haven't beat it. It seems pretty lengthy though I would guess it has 5 worlds by looking at the map with 5 regular levels along with 2 secret levels in each world. Also each stage is relatively long, and from what I understand world 3 is where it gets VERY challenging when it comes to old school, NES esque, challenge. So I'd say it would is probably 8-10hrs for a normal play through and perhaps another 5-6 for unlocking the secrets.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
It's quite long, and there are a LOT of secret levels that you unlock by finding secret exits in the normal levels.  (Think Super Mario World.)  The first world is laughably easy, and then things get difficult (but also more interesting) pretty fast.  I'm on the third world boss right now and have lost over a dozen lives trying to pass it.  Luckily, the extra lives are pretty common.  Unluckily, you will need them.

Booo, I was answering the question!

In regards to World 1, it is pretty similar to World 1 in Mario games when it comes to difficulty, it is mainly designed around getting used to how the game plays and the various mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:25:13 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
Alright, I'm sold on this game. I'll have to get it at some point.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
Alright, I'm sold on this game. I'll have to get it at some point.

Good choice, I think you'll be happy with it. Fantastic game!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:03 AM »
I apologize for the almost two year bump, but I just started playing this game for the first time (I pulled something at random from my backlog) and I'm in love with it. I just finished the second world, and am worried about hitting a wall and not being able to go any further into it at some point soon, but it's great while it lasts. It's amazing how well the two completely different game types work together, and it's a fantastic feeling to be almost dead, then jump into the puzzle, and come out of it as an unstoppable robot killing machine. This is one of my new favorite games ever.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
The game is great.  Unlike a lot of people, I don't think there's ever a huge spike in difficulty that prevents you from being able to progress.  The game's certainly no cake walk, but I was able to beat it without too many problems.  If you ever do run into a wall, be sure to replay some of the earlier stages and get the treasures you missed the first time around.  They'll help you progress, plus you'll get money which will let you level up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I just beat the boss of the third world. This may be my favorite DS game ever.

J.P. Corbran