Author Topic: Game Over: One final rant...  (Read 158578 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Game Over: One final rant...
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »
I think it is pretty amazing to think how long this community has had several members.  I have been here over 5 years I know.  This is a pretty strong community in that regards.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
I think it is pretty amazing to think how long this community has had several members.  I have been here over 5 years I know.  This is a pretty strong community in that regards.

You've been here about as long as I have. Amazing.

I'd list other posters but I'm not sure how long some have been here, like Mr. Jack
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »

You've been here about as long as I have. Amazing.

I'd list other posters but I'm not sure how long some have been here, like Mr. Jack

It's a hard thing to gauge really. I joined the forums in March of '06 because i finally had a strong enough opinion to post, but i'd lurked the forums since at least the PGC days.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »
GP:  It says I have been a member since 2004, but isn't that just when we changed to the new message board forum?  I remember being here much longer and being around for most of the Gamecube generation. 

I remember my first few years I got very few responses, but I do remember my first post was well received because it was a very well thought out post and some where like where the hell did this guy come from.

Looking back, my post was well thought out...but I think it ended up being wrong.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
talked to mouse and its not a poser
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
I'm still planning on editing my 1st post someday... its the most monstrous (and serious) wall of text here...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
Yeah, I didn't even realize someone posed as me a few years back. I was a bit confused by it myself looking through my old posts. There's one I remember from April of 2004 and then one I don't remember at all from August of 2005, and the writing style isn't mine at all. I don't know why I'd leave, then come back a year later, then go dormant another 4 and a half years. But ah well.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
My first post was in defense of the Nintendo DS lineup:

Am I the only one excited for Nintendo DS? The games are looking quite stunning, especially those that appear to use the unique features fo the Nintendo (such as the Kirby game). I'm not sure what people were saying when they stated Nintendo nor other developers were taking creative advantage of the DS, because I definitely see it in those videos!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
thank theperm for mentioning Bills departure to mouseclicker, i would mention this to Grey, but i don't think he would make a guest appearence..not sure

if you want to know who the golden age people are..read the first couple pages of avatar discussion

Wow, it's crazy looking back at that. I didn't realize it was over 5 years ago since I started visiting this site. Just, wow. I feel like I've lived a bit of my life in these forums. It feels extremely weird. I think I may have to leave soon as well.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
My first post was in response to a Jonny editorial in 2004. I won't post the whole thing, it's got several paragraphs, but here's a snippet:

This has got to be the most balanced editorial I've read about Nintendo's situation in some time. Why? Because of the very important acknowledgement of a particular value system in the way we may look at Nintendo. At one point the author states that, "If Nintendo wants to regain ..."

That "If" is very important, because it acknowledges that all of these ideas that Nintendo fans have of worldwide domination, all these concepts of marketting, mindshare, and money... these are based on the assumption that Nintendo, at their core, is a company solely focused on winning the marketshare war.

What was my second post? Why, it was to argue with IanSane of course! Ahhh, good times, good times.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
God I love my early posts. I'm such a great poster. lol

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
Hm, makes me wonder... What did he propose as what Nintendo has to do back then?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2009, 05:30:49 PM »
Hm, makes me wonder... What did he propose as what Nintendo has to do back then?

Well I did find a quote where he was complaining about GC and how bland the games look.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
I have to say though, that while I agree with most of what I said back in 2004, there are several opinions on which I've shifted, and there are several very unfortunate word choices regarding the casual market and third parties, lol.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »
I have to say though, that while I agree with most of what I said back in 2004, there are several opinions on which I've shifted, and there are several very unfortunate word choices regarding the casual market and third parties, lol.

Also I was always the superior poster. ;)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Yeah, I didn't even realize someone posed as me a few years back. I was a bit confused by it myself looking through my old posts. There's one I remember from April of 2004 and then one I don't remember at all from August of 2005, and the writing style isn't mine at all. I don't know why I'd leave, then come back a year later, then go dormant another 4 and a half years. But ah well.

Can you get me a spot on Are you smarter than a 5th grader??  I want to wipe the smirks off the faces of those prepubescent twirps.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »

Short answer?  For them to stop shooting themselves in the foot.  I always felt Nintendo's poor market position was more do to them making blatantly obvious spot-from-a-mile-away goof-ups then the competition doing anything particularly special to beat them.  Nintendo was very good at giving people easy excuses to avoid their console.  They seemingly tried to meet negative biased expectations.

Obviously there were issues with marketing and attracting third party support and providing a more balanced library that didn't seem too family focused.  But the starting point was to match the competition in features and not gift-wrap them advantages.  Start at a level playing field and then use your superior game development skills to start gaining market share back.  Third party support will naturally follow the increased market share.

If you show up to the race with your shoelaces tied together of course you're going to lose.  Before any training to make you a better runner starts you have to put yourself in a situation where you can actually run at your full speed.

Nintendo's actually strategy was to change the rules of the race in such a way to give them an advantage.  Gotta give them credit for thinking outside the box on that one I guess.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »

Can you get me a spot on Are you smarter than a 5th grader??  I want to wipe the smirks off the faces of those prepubescent twirps.  ;D

Yeah, not quite, might be conflict of interest there. Those kids are seriously really smart, though, especially that Nathan one from a couple season back. Seriously, every answer he wouldn't just get it right, he'd have a paragraph explaining it, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:38:08 PM by mouse_clicker »
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »
Hmm, all this talk of looking at first post got me thinking.  Lets see here, my first post.

My guess will be if the price is revealed during E3 then it will probobly be $200 but if they say they'll reveal it at a later date then it'll be over $200. 

I remember hearing a rumor that Nintendo might not say the price at E3 which if true, points to the Wii being over the $200 range since they know annoucing the system for that much might anger some people and they want all the attention at E3 to be on just the games.

Well look at that, I was 100% right.  Since the Wii was launch for over $200, Nintendo didn't announce the price at E3.  Instead they announced the $250 at a later date that ended up being their September event.

Of course I'm surprised I've only been a member for only 2.5 years, it feel much longer then that.  Then again, I started lurking the forums back in 2002, so that might explain it.  I'm just an extremly lazy person in real life and so it took me about 4 years before I got motivated enough to finally join in on the fun.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 29, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »
THANKS FOR THE HISTORY LESSON, EVERYONE
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »
My first post is from 6 years ago and pretty lame. The next was a year later. I think it took a while for me to feel comfortable with posting my two cents in with people I didn't know.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
Mouse_Clicker are you going to stick around?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
mouse_clicker?!

If Grey Ninja, Hostile_Creation, PIAC, and Termin8 all post in this thread I might cry.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »
I don't post much in forums anymore, haven't since I left PGC. You're most likely to see my name crop up over at RottenTomatoes, though, if at all. I guess I might pop in and out for a while, though. I didn't realize so many people from my day were even still here.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:18 AM »
Infernal, Icecold, KnowsNothing... this thread is like a PGC greatest hits compilation. *sniff* makes me long for the days of old.

I haven't been very active of late, but I love the throw downs that occurred in the Brawl forum leading up to its release with S-B, Golden, LuigiDude, and others all throwing in their two cents. That was fairly recent, or feels so for me. Good times, as were many in the PGC days.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see you go Bill. You were always one of my favorite posters.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:06:10 AM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk