Author Topic: Game Over: One final rant...  (Read 158428 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Game Over: One final rant...
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
Can you take me into battle with you, but swap me out for another team member so I don't have to go thru the pain, but still get the exp. pts??
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
I can't believe someone complained that you typed your sig out in your posts, Kairon.

It was a bit weird, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why you'd be required to change it. :P
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2009, 02:30:28 PM »
I blocked the website on my computer so I wouldn't be tempted to go and troll the place, and haven't been back regularly since.

haha, thats hilarious!  I still go back here n there hoping Scott will return,  as they had some great podcasts back in the day.

But yes, NWR and paulyshore.com are the only sites that can be trusted these days.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »

haha, thats hilarious!  I still go back here n there hoping Scott will return,  as they had some great podcasts back in the day.
But yes, NWR and paulyshore.com are the only sites that can be trusted these days.

Did Scott leave?  I listened to Infendo Radio for maybe around 6-8 months, and they had added Kyle by the time I left.  That show was okay, but as my opinion regarding gaming is a lot more in sync with the guys at RFN than the guys at IR, I lost interest. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
I'm sorry but I find it extremely hilarious that with all this personal angst against Ian, with SOME evidence he may be one of the roots of NWR's problem we get an official editorial that is right up his alley and brings out (a predictable) response.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »
I think it's important to note that Rick was totally oblivious to this thread as far as I know, so it can all be considered a big coincidence.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »
I think it's important to note that Rick was totally oblivious to this thread as far as I know, so it can all be considered a big coincidence.

I'm not saying it was intentional, but it is kind of funny. ;)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
I don't think NWR has changed so much.  It's still about Nintendo fans discussing Nintendo related issues.

Nintendo's changed.  And if you disagree with that you can at least acknowledge that things are different.  Nintendo is now run by Iwata instead of Yamauchi.  Nintendo has found success with a new audience.  Nintendo is now number one again.  Things have changed.

Like with any fandom there is going to be split opinion over the change.  Some of the fanbase is going to like the change and some of it isn't.  That's not something specific to NWR.  You go to any game related site that covers Nintendo in some way and there is not going to be unanimous opinion regarding Nintendo.  I don't see it as any change to NWR but just the natural reaction to the split in the fanbase.

Until VERY recently I could have made the same kind of post as Bill only with the opposite complaint: that things have become too pro-Nintendo on this site to have any meaningful discussion.  It's all a matter of perspective and really just to do with the different reaction of Nintendo fans to Nintendo's changes.

The thing is Bill is on the "winning side".  The positives will naturally come out ahead.  The negatives will either become positives based on some gesture from Nintendo winning them back over or eventually they'll lose interest and leave.  If what you're a fan of changes in a way that you don't like eventually, if things don't improve, you'll realize that there is no reason for you to be a fan anymore.  Bill's going to be a Nintendo fan for years, maybe for the rest of his life.  I'm at the point where wanting my Wii to feel like a worthwhile purchase is the only thing keeping me a Nintendo fan.  The way things are going by next gen they'll have lost me for good.  The positives will inherit Nintendo fandom.  So Bill might as well stick around because Nintendo is going in the direction he likes.  By next gen any Nintendo themed site will have a mostly pro-Nintendo community.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »
Cry-on, you are a third party plant. You were hired by NWR afterall!

If Kairon is a plant, he's a weeping fig. ;)

As for the discussion, I don't think it's possible to ever actually "leave" a forum. After all, it's still there and it'll always just be a click away.

Furthermore, it's the easygoing nature of this forum which makes it enjoyable. It takes a long time for a community to mature to the point like this but that doesn't mean stuff can't still go wrong and need to be dealt with.

And yeah, Nintendo has changed a great deal, but this is a transition period. This is what happens when a transition occurs.

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPcQBveWOA&feature=channel

It describes the issues faced by a Nintendo-only fanbase dealing with "non-gamers" suddenly showing up in the market.

And here's one of my other favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9joAb4XMaUs&feature=channel

He addresses the comic book industry's "darkening" period which wound up eventually destroying it, something which the gaming industry is, in many ways, in the middle of doing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:56:16 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:49 PM »

Did Scott leave?  I listened to Infendo Radio for maybe around 6-8 months, and they had added Kyle by the time I left.  That show was okay, but as my opinion regarding gaming is a lot more in sync with the guys at RFN than the guys at IR, I lost interest. 

Yeah, not enough time, needed to focus on his comic: http://www.myextralife.com/
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
Cry-on, you are a third party plant. You were hired by NWR afterall!

If Kairon is a plant, he's a weeping fig. ;)

As for the discussion, I don't think it's possible to ever actually "leave" a forum. After all, it's still there and it'll always just be a click away.

Furthermore, it's the easygoing nature of this forum which makes it enjoyable. It takes a long time for a community to mature to the point like this but that doesn't mean stuff can't still go wrong and need to be dealt with.

And yeah, Nintendo has changed a great deal, but this is a transition period. This is what happens when a transition occurs.

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPcQBveWOA&feature=channel

It describes the issues faced by a Nintendo-only fanbase dealing with "non-gamers" suddenly showing up in the market.

And here's one of my other favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9joAb4XMaUs&feature=channel

He addresses the comic book industry's "darkening" period which wound up eventually destroying it, something which the gaming industry is, in many ways, in the middle of doing.

Funny enough this video by the same guy explains why some of the more positive Nintendo fans (one Bill was proud of are so happy and are so emotional towards Nintendo, and might give an idea of what it is to be a proud Nintendo fan and why Bill got fed up with the negativity from both the users and the staff.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »
Wow, a long weekend is a long time in forum life, it seems.

I really enjoyed the majority of Bill's posts, especially the intelligent enthusiasm he displayed for Nintendo. It was only after reading PGC forums (and so many posts of his) back in 2002 that I bought a GC, bringing an end to my stay in the gaming wilderness that had begun after I completed Majora's Mask.

As for Mario, the best experience I have ever had in an online game came with a multi hour session of 2 player online brawl. I thank him for that. I think the ban is extremely harsh, the guy was the king of irreverent sarcasm and I never took his comments too seriously. Also Aussie bias prevents me from speaking ill of him.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
Well, after reading Rick Power's rant I have decided to try and ignore any negative Nintendo threads because I feel it just makes things worse in the long run. Yes, ignoring them would be like ignoring a pulsating, bleeding tumor that's right next to your heart, but I think that if we try hard maybe these discussions will stop for a bit.

The reality of the situation is that the people that post these rants aren't dumb. They KNOW that they will create a lot of anger and create epic discussions because its easily the most debated subject in the entire videogame industry. Going back to the comparisons, its like being a PETA member at a massive meat cookout; you WILL get noticed and you WILL get reactions.

In the event that you decide to participate please do so in a civil manner. Report to a mod if you see any strange behavior.

To be perfectly honest, I think we should forget about getting support from the staff members as they don't care about us on a personal level. Harsh? Yeah, but in the years that I've been a member of the forums I've had little to no personal attachment to the main staff members, and I've been doing fine by myself. They do a good job, but I think those trying to get support from them should forget it and focus on having fun with the members, and leave if they are displeased.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm posting in the forums BECAUSE of my fondness for the personalities which make up the staff.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm posting in the forums BECAUSE of my fondness for the personalities which make up the staff.

I consider a few members of the staff as friends so I can't say I don't care about them.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »
I'm just saying that if you try be friends with the staff or hope they get more attached to the community you will be disappointed and instead focus on befriending the other forum members. Like I said, I've had a lot of fun with the forum members here, but I can't say I've had any deep personal relationship with the staff members save for Evan, Kairon and Mr. Jack (and they were far more connected to the community before they became staff members).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Continue?  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1

Insert (4) Credits

~~~~~

Should I just walk away and ditch the site cuz I'm tired of playing this Sony World Repor' arcade machine?

Should I TROLL MORE to make up for Bill and Mario's absence?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
I'm just saying that if you try be friends with the staff or hope they get more attached to the community you will be disappointed and instead focus on befriending the other forum members. Like I said, I've had a lot of fun with the forum members here, but I can't say I've had any deep personal relationship with the staff members save for Evan, Kairon and Mr. Jack (and they were far more connected to the community before they became staff members).

I know I know I suck but, it's life you know? I'm gonna move and start a new job too, so it isn't just staff, it's complicated! T_T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »
Continue?  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1

Insert (4) Credits

~~~~~

Should I just walk away and ditch the site cuz I'm tired of playing this Sony World Repor' arcade machine?

Should I TROLL MORE to make up for Bill and Mario's absence?

You already troll Zelda: TP though! Can you multitask? :P

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
Keyword: already

My current level of activity is already in place.  The question is whether or not to go above and beyond the call.

Lost Mario, kept Ian.

Lost Bill, kept Ian.

Justin comes back (and doesn't even talk about games), got Rick Roll'd.

WTF.

Is it even worth it trying to bring balance back to the Fist?

This place is Hyrule, and it's filling with blue ocean water.  Senior non-casual staff are spewing nonsense to no end.  Time to jump ship, bail out, and take my princess to another castle.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »
No don't leave!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »

Yeah I definitely was more active in the forums prior to becoming part of the staff. Partly because I am way busier and have nearly no free time, and partly because I got sick of the constant arguments over the same stupid point (as exhibited by Justin Nation and Rick Powers in recent blog posts). It definitely isn't the same here as it was pre-Wii release, and it kind of sucks. I want it to get better, but the Wii is such a polarizing system, I'm not sure it will.

In any event, I'm always lurking the boards, and I try and pop in from time to time. Life is just busy right now, but maybe soon I'll have more in-forum time.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »

Yeah I definitely was more active in the forums prior to becoming part of the staff. Partly because I am way busier and have nearly no free time, and partly because I got sick of the constant arguments over the same stupid point (as exhibited by Justin Nation and Rick Powers in recent blog posts). It definitely isn't the same here as it was pre-Wii release, and it kind of sucks. I want it to get better, but the Wii is such a polarizing system, I'm not sure it will.

In any event, I'm always lurking the boards, and I try and pop in from time to time. Life is just busy right now, but maybe soon I'll have more in-forum time.

As I said before, if we seen more Mr. Pants people would change.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:04:02 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

As I said before, if we seen more Mr. Pants people would change.

Are you asking Mr.Jack to remove the (mr.) underpants!?!?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
No don't leave!
Why not?

The boards never really got over the great crash/slowdown a few months after it started.  How many people who came over from the old EZboards stayed through the epic slowness and are still around?  Even after the kinks were worked out, the whole feel of the place never returned, it was then and still today a muted barren feel to the place.

Those that stuck through it had slowly been either driven away like Bill, bored away like Infy, or banned like Mario, and all because of disinterest in dealing with someone the Mods would rather compliment the supposed courtesy instead of see the larger picture of what is said overall because they only look at the random post he makes, don't see the snide talk and low blow down talking, the very active derailing he does and when any action is made to get the thread back on topic it turns into a flame war and he comes out smelling sweet because he isn't "direct" in his attacks.

There have been a lot of people who joined and stayed for a while, but really when you think about it, other than a handful or so, how many do you remember being here for any length of time really adding to the place other than to be a nuisance?
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?