Author Topic: Game Over: One final rant...  (Read 157377 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Game Over: One final rant...
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 01:22:09 AM »
Cry-on, you are a third party plant. You were hired by NWR afterall!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2009, 01:24:26 AM »
I don't know you well Maxi but it would be sad to see you go, your one of the few "newer" members that have stuck around for longer then a month or two. 

A few pages back someone said it best that one of the problems with Ian is that he will have his 2 cents and then leave.  It's fine if you want to start a discussion but at least have the decency to have a dialogue, part of saying your opinion is having the courtesy of listening to others.  And there's a fine line, A.  Is Ian (Or any other poster for that matter) bringing something releveant to the topic or is he/she off on another tangent entirely.  and B, are you complaining or actually trying to start an intelligent conversation.  Forums like these should be especially careful if they start to lose members like Bill and Mario, to be honest how many different people post on these forums on a regular basis 10+, it's something I liked about these forums, you felt like your ideas/opinions were read and digested because there was so few people here.  But if any more "Key" forum goers leave the forums will collapse.  This forum is like a small town, most everybody knows everybody

I guess it would be more like a smurf community since GP is the only female around here. 

Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:48 AM »
I always thought that when somebody didn't return to a thread, that meant that they conceded defeat in internet argument land.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »
No conceding defeat means pasting goatse into the thread
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 01:32:48 AM »
No you did not! LOL

GP, he's comparing you to that whore of a cartoon character! Are you going to let him SMURF you like that? I mean, where's your SMURFING pride. You should tell that SMURF of a SMURF who SMURFING runs SMURF.....SMURF!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2009, 01:33:38 AM »
Well I said I would consider staying for a while to see how everything works out.
I rarely complain about anything.I think this is my second time complaining about something on here.
I think I'm just really upset so I might be saying something that I really don't mean.
I'll give myself some time to chill out see if I feel diferently.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
I might as well confess...I am really a Nintendo shill. I haven't been doing my job because I enjoy this place too much in order to spam it with advertisements in disguise.

And Smash_Brother isn't really my friend. I am paying him to act like one so suspicions are kept at bay.

Ban me now...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2009, 01:44:02 AM »
Maxi isn't leaving, I threatened to put pitfalls all over his town if he does.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Maxi isn't leaving, I threatened to put pitfalls all over his town if he does.
No not the pitfalls.Anything but the pitfalls.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2009, 02:04:47 AM »
Dude seriously. Put a space between each sentence. It looks like they're conjoined. It's disturbing.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:10 AM »
stop with the personal attacks stogi

steedus-lapeedus
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »

This neighborhood is turning into Melrose Place.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »
I find myself lurking more and more these days. The forums just feels so tired. So full of extremes. It feels like there isn't any discussion going on anymore. Now that we have won this generation we don't know what to do with it. Everyone now argues their little pet peeve till they are blue in the face. There is a mild negative vibe coming off a lot of the staff, especially regarding HD.

It's not much fun here anymore and everybody is trying to be right. 
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
Yeah Stogi, behave.  No need to derail this thread.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »
Lindy needs to be a strong leader with vision. That is our only hope.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2009, 04:11:42 AM »
Well, this sucks.

I've thought about giving up on this place myself a few times in the past, but there's always been a group of quality posters over the years that stuck around. Losing two of them in one day is a huge blow. I'm kind of surprised that this is what caused Bill to break, since we've seen worse, but I can't really blame him.

Over the past several months it seems like we've been arguing over the exact same thing in every single thread. It's like Ian has ultimate control over the conversation. No matter what you're talking about, he'll turn it into his same old rant. It's not like he's adding anything that he hasn't said a hundred times before, either. I suppose you can just try to ignore what he says most of the time (believe me, I try), but the fact that that seems to be the solution being suggested in this thread just reinforces the position of many of us that he really doesn't add anything worth discussing here.

The staff doesn't seem to be as friendly as they used to be. Not everyone, of course, but this started to become a problem with Svevan, and others are following his lead.

I doubt I'll be leaving here any time soon, but I can't say I've seen any positive changes on these forums for quite some time.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
Infendo -  decent blog but Jacks irrationality and incompetence ruin it on a daily basis

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  I had to stop going to Infendo because of that guy. 

Anyways, I'm a long-time lurker, part-time mafia player on these forums, so I don't have a ton of things to say about this thread, but I would say that I think the staff does a great job with this site.  I've listened to every RFN recorded since long before Sklens & Karl took off, and I've always had a lot of respect for the guys who run this website. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:07:27 AM by DrewMG »
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »
Whoo bamboo thread! Grows to tons of pages overnight.

First off, I'm entirely in favour of the Mario ban, he made his points with a very offensive and trollish style that was very disruptive.

However while Ian may not do personal insults he has repeatedly derailed threads. I completely disagree that not making personal insults makes one not a troll, I've had to deal with some pretty adept trolls that were careful to never give you anything you could point at and say "ban him for that" yet had a massively disruptive effect on the community. Flamebaiting doesn't necessarily involve flaming anyone, it can be very subtle. Lately almost all discussion has been derailed into casual vs HD shitslinging. I'll admit I tend to take bait like that too easily but it's also readily apparent that Ian willfully remains in his "victim" state (just look at his game list in the third party games thread and his refusal to get a different console even though he keeps arguing that the other consoles pander to his needs more) and wants everyone to partake in his misery. I think that to some degree he deliberately tries to direct threads towards that end. While a ban would be sudden and unjustified I do think he deserves a stern warning over his flamebaiting and derailing.

If it's necessary ban the casual vs HD topic from the forums for a while and remove any attempts to start a discussion about it (I think that might happen too often to really issue punishments over but a quick cleanup can often salvage a thread) or create a central "casual vs HD war" thread that ALL arguments about the matter must go into so unrelated threads remain free of it and arguments that have been brought already remain standing instead of being brought every time such a thread appears.

Now of course a part of this focus may be the lack of other things to talk about (not many major releases recently and not much new information on future major releases either) but it does feel like this forum is turning into a single topic discussed in endless variety.

Also while I disagree that bias is a good thing and a site should strive to be neutral that's hard to do in practice and people might act strongly against Nintendo just to avoid seeming biased towards them while others will partake in anti-Nintendo sentiment because after all they're writing for a pro-Nintendo site and the only bias they have to watch out for is the pro-Nintendo one. Sometimes affirmative action turns into a discrimination of its own.

Oh and because this is a Bill thread it needs more anime screencaps:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:53:46 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
:(

Seven years, wow. I think I've been at least a lurker for the greater part of that. I always appreciated your posts, and their absence will undoubtedly leave a void here.

In seven years, though, people change — it's inevitable, especially for us "young folk." As peoples' interests change, so will this forum and its content. It's hard to accept this change happening sometimes, but there's not much you can do.

I'm not around as much as I used to be either, not that I was ever a super-power here. I've just kind of gotten out of gaming a bit, though I still have my spells of Nonstop Gaming Madness on certain lazy weekends. Is this Nintendo's fault for changing (or at least "adding to") their focus somewhat, or am I just getting older and have less time for games? Probably both, honestly. Regardless, though, Bill's departure isn't going to help matters. He had this broad knowledge/awareness of games that got me interested in games I may have never even heard of otherwise.

See ya, Bill. You'll be missed.

And if you decide to come back, you'll be welcomed with open arms and lots of vaguely-relevant anime screenshots! ;)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »
Infendo -  decent blog but Jacks irrationality and incompetence ruin it on a daily basis

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  I had to stop going to Infendo because of that guy. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what his issue is, he must have been beaten up as a child by a Genesis Fanboy.  Its no exaggeration to say he truly worships corporate Nintendo and all they do.  But anyway, thats why I appreciate this site and forums.  Its the only place I know of where I can find people like me we who wet their pants over Mario Galaxy while at them same time breaking bottles over their head during the last E3.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure what his issue is, he must have been beaten up as a child by a Genesis Fanboy.  Its no exaggeration to say he truly worships corporate Nintendo and all they do.  But anyway, thats why I appreciate this site and forums.  Its the only place I know of where I can find people like me we who wet their pants over Mario Galaxy while at them same time breaking bottles over their head during the last E3.

There was a period of time in 2007 where I was pretty active on Infendo, and by the end of that period, I'd found that the people who run that site (namely Jack, and occasional contributor Malstrom) had me actively rooting against Nintendo.  I was so annoyed by how my opinions had been twisted around there that I had to quit going.  I blocked the website on my computer so I wouldn't be tempted to go and troll the place, and haven't been back regularly since.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2009, 01:09:43 PM »
Man, I'm scared of the rest of the internet sometimes. You guys are the only ones I trust...*scared*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »
Oh yeah, you're in trouble now ;) :D

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2009, 01:26:44 PM »
Man, I'm scared of the rest of the internet sometimes. You guys are the only ones I trust...*scared*

I'll hold you Kai, and you can write your sig out for me anytime ;)

All kidding aside, I felt he same way. I try to go to other sites/forums.. I mean i REALLY try, but the level of intelligence is so low that my head starts to hurt after the 3rd post in any given topic. If this forum kicks the bucket, I'll have no where to go..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:28:35 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »
Good thing I've built the skin strong enough to withstand stupidity and battle it ;) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer