Author Topic: Rune Factory Frontier  (Read 120728 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Factory Frontier
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
WHAT THE HELL are you talking about?  Rune Factory Frontier's been out since MARCH.

Oh... well then... ahem...

Well, in true hardc0r3 arpeegee gam3r fashion, why are you all still talking about it now, months later? Shouldn't you have moved onto the next big thing by now??? Yes, I blame you and accept no responsibility for my own ignorance. I blame all of you. Especially Easycure. And Pro.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:01:37 PM by decoyman »
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
I had it since launch.  Didn't start spending serious time with it until this summer (thank you State of California furlough days off), and that's when I started working on these updates.

I'm STILL playing it cuz it lasts forever without being pointless, unlike Animal Crossing.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
I had it since launch.  Didn't start spending serious time with it until this summer (thank you State of California furlough days off), and that's when I started working on these updates.

I'm STILL playing it cuz it lasts forever without being pointless, unlike Animal Crossing.

And I started playing it once he started these updates. Hell it was Pro's updates that made me rush out and get the game. I'd wanted to get in to the series since I found out it was a Harvest Moon spin-off, but by then the sequel (on the DS) was supposed to come out and supposedly "fixed the problems of the first title" from most impressions I read, so I wanted to wait it out. After that, it slipped from my radar and life was too busy with REAL mature things (not stupid blood splat and pixelated boobies kinda mature) like, you know, a full time job, to spend hours on end with a single video game.

Around the time Pro started his updates with the game, I was contemplating getting Ghost Busters (wii) because it was short and had co-op. The perfect game to play with my gf, since most of my free time is with her anyway. Two birds with one stone sorta deal. I couldn't resist though.. everything Pro talked about just sounded like an awesome, suped up version of Harvest Moon, which RF pretty much is, and I caved.  Ive been loving the game ever since and when I do play, I play for hours upon hours on end (longest streak was 13 hours or so lol). Haven't played a video game with that sorta devotion in a LONG time.

I'm getting jittery cuz it's been a week or so since i last played the game... ****!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
I've noticed Rune Factory Frontier is now $30 at most retailers.  I've also just noticed Tenchu4 down to $20.

3rd Excuse Makers and Nintendo gamers fail at this whole "game customer" relationship thing.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I've noticed Rune Factory Frontier is now $30 at most retailers.  I've also just noticed Tenchu4 down to $20.

3rd Excuse Makers and Nintendo gamers fail at this whole "game customer" relationship thing.

Must buy Tenchu....

Must resist buying second copy of Rune Factory Frontier to give away as a prize...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »
Best Buy is selling the game for $30, and today and tomorrow they are offering free shipping on orders $25 and up. I decided to go ahead and order the game, and it will probably take about a week to get here.

I just hope that THIS game actually works, unlike a certain other game from the same publisher...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
$30 is tempting. But I also need to get Muramasa and Cursed Mountain. Decisions, decisions...(and time).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »
$30 is tempting. But I also need to get Muramasa and Cursed Mountain. Decisions, decisions...(and time).

If time is an issue then RFF might not be for you (if you think you'll get hooked to it like i do), or at least not at this moment. On the other hand, wouldn't you rather get this game now while its cheap before it becomes too hard to find? Those other two are still full price no? You got time before they're hard to find ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
Quick question: What's the best time to go to bed? I want to use all of the time in one day but I don't want to go to bed too late if it means waking up not fully refreshed.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
In Havest Moon I usually stop for the day at 10pm. If you go to bed at 2 am then that gives you problems. So between 10pm and Midnight I would say.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »
In Havest Moon I usually stop for the day at 10pm. If you go to bed at 2 am then that gives you problems. So between 10pm and Midnight I would say.

This, though I've gone to bed at 1am a few times and have woken up fine. Then again I have an item that prevents colds, so that might help, and I believe going to bed under a certain amount of HP/RP can be a factor as well...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »
I goto 1am (12:59am) all-the-way, with no penalities (the game states it).  I'll fish on the adjacent stream till 12:45am, then run my ass to the front door.

Lack of HP/RP in an even later time will lead to sickness, on top of waking up later in the morning.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »
I goto 1am (12:59am) all-the-way, with no penalities (the game states it).  I'll fish on the adjacent stream till 12:45am, then run my ass to the front door.

Lack of HP/RP in an even later time will lead to sickness, on top of waking up later in the morning.

I usually get my ass home at 2:00am and wake up at 6 still.. Any later than that and i'll wake up at 8, but its fine with me (unless i had to have something delivered).

I might actually get to play this game this weekend, its been so long! Gotta ring in the new year!!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
I've never woken up at 6 from getting home past 1am.

D=<

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
I've never woken up at 6 from getting home past 1am.

D=<

well i'll have to verify it next time i play, but i'm pretty sure I have on occasion. Have you crafted a mask yet?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »
I have lots more recipe books to buy, so not yet.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
I have lots more recipe books to buy, so not yet.

Selphy hasn't had a new book for me in AGES. Hell Lute doesn't even have anything else I can buy, accept he at least promises a new painting. I know I don't have all the recipe books yet (its obvious when looking at your inventory in the "pause" menu) but theres only 5 or 6 left to get before I do.

Do yourself a favor: DON'T buy the book about crafting gifts! Like half the items you can craft need you to be at a level 99 and the rest are so hard to craft because you need to have acquired items from some of the tougher enemies later in the game anyway, including one of the bosses. Even at my current level of 50 I have some monsters that are still much stronger than me, and even though I have some nice strong tools that can lay some serious hurt on some of them (like the giant turtles..), its not worth the risk of getting killed/wasting my time to get a turtle shell when:

a. its seems to be a rare drop anyway
b. the recipe calls for something else that I've never been able to acquire.

so yeah, don't waste your money on the book. The few gifts i've been able to make don't seem to be for your love interest, they seem to be gifts you make to give to your child when they're old enough. For instance, I made a Fan (like an oriental paper fan) which had the description "for girls that wan't to look mature" or something like that. I remembered both Uzuki and Annette mentioning something about wanting to be like other girls in town who are more sophisticated and mature, so i gave one of them the gift (can't remember who) and their response was "oh.... for me?.. Thanks, but it clashes with my outfit" It ws something along those lines, and didn't raise my LP with them, not sure if it lowered it though.

I would definately recommend you buy some books on accessories though. You can get some really nice items that boost your HP, ATK, DEF or even magical affinity. Some have other effects, like preventing status changes, but I prefer the stat boost instead. I will let you know now that some of these recipes do require a high skill level in crafting, but remember you can always craft an item of at least 20 levels higher than your current on, just don't expect to get a 'perfectly crafted' item out of it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
I've got a couple more questions for you guys if you can be bothered.

1. What happens if you sleep in someone else's bed? I haven't tried it because I'm worried they'll be angry or something.
2. How do I get a hammer, axe, and shovel? I gotta clear out my field!
3. Is it possible to level up tools like you can in Harvest Moon?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »
I've got a couple more questions for you guys if you can be bothered.

1. What happens if you sleep in someone else's bed? I haven't tried it because I'm worried they'll be angry or something.
2. How do I get a hammer, axe, and shovel? I gotta clear out my field!
3. Is it possible to level up tools like you can in Harvest Moon?

1. Comic mischeif. As far as i can tell, there are no repercussions from this.. However there are only a few instances where the beds owner is actually in the room and will comment on you trying to sleep in the bed. I've only experienced it once and although the girl seemed angry, I don't believe any LP was lost.

2. Starter tools are recieved from various villagers so be sure to talk to everyone! There might be an order to getting them from the villagers, but you should be able to acquire all your basic tools* by the end of the first week.

*basic tools; axe, hammer, hoe, sickle, watering can

3. Yes but it works much differently. Simply using your equipment raises your skill level. Hammers and Axes have their on skill levels while your Hoe, Sickle and Watering Can are grouped into the Farming skill category. Raising skill levels means less RP consumption from your tools, but its still different then actually leveling up your tool.

To do that, you'll first have to acquire a forge from a traveling peddler who you'll meet eventually (hint: listen to the villagers! They'll tell you where and when he can be found). You'll also need a recipe book which can be acquired from a certain villager who forges professionaly. Once you have your forge and recipe book, you can forge new tools or simply level up your existing tools (if you have the right ingredients). Remember that eventually, scrap ironwill become your friend;
a recipe of [Tool] + Scrap iron + Scrap Iron will level up your tool, but theres a bit of a catch here.

Forging, crafting, cooking and working in the lab all have a bit of a mini game that go with them. A gauge appears on screen with a marker that travels left to right, with 3 colored areas. Red = failure, Blue = sucess, Green = perfection. Until your skill in a particular feild rises (in this case, forging) the green areas might not be visible at all. Once your skill level goes up however, the green areas appear and become much easier to hit.

Things get more complicated later on though, when your tool levels are higher than 1. You have to remember that the level of your ingredients effects the outcome of the tool you're trying to craft. Here's an example:

-you have 1 Iron Hammer (lvl 1) and 2 Scrap Irons (lvl 1)
-you forge it sucessfuly or perfectly for a lvl 3 Iron Hammer. Good right?

-you have 1 Iron Hammer (lvl 5) and 1 Scrap Iron (lvl 5) and 1 Scrap Iron (lvl 1)
-you forge it sucessfuly or perfectly for a lvl 4 (or lower).. Iron hammer. Sucks don't it? But wait theres more!

-Take 1 Iron Hammer (lvl 5) and 2 Scrap Irons (lvl 6+)
-Forge it PERFECTLY for a 1 lvl bonus, now you have an Iron Hammer (lvl 7)! SWEET, HUH? YOU BET YOUR ASS IT IS!

It sounds more complicated than it really is, just remember that when you want to level up your tools, or just create higher level items (be it tools, food or medicines), the higher the ingredient levels the better chance of a higher level item. Basically; you can polish a turd but its still a turd... unless you're using level 10 polish ;)

Hope that helps!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
grr...

i'm on the last day of winter and i have a chance at finishing the storyline but i'm afriad of missing the first sunrise of the new year... then again i'd love to finish this damn storyline and be able to claim i did it all in the first year!

this boss isn't THAT hard... but he had this one ridiculous move where he killed me in one hit *sigh* here goes a second attempt..

mwahahaha SUCCESS! not only did i complete the main storyline on the last day of the new year, I made it home in time to do some last minute crop watering in my dungeons AND stayed up till 5am to watch the sunrise.. which was a lot more uneventful then the game made it seem :(
Spring, here i come!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:24:50 PM by EasyCure »

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Ok, bit the bullet and bought this from Amazon â€“ free shipping, no tax, and a little cheaper than retail to boot, at $27.99.

Score! I'm a little concerned that it's going to eat up my free time, though... :P
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
This is why I like Little King's Story.  I've stayed up for weeks at a time with no problems.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
Score! I'm a little concerned that it's going to eat up my free time, though... :P

It will.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »

It will.
Seriously. If you have any other games you're playing right now, you should finish them up before starting this one.

Anyways, thanks for the tips EasyCure, they helped me get what I need. I can't remember who gave me the sickle but as soon as I had it, guess who asked me to cut some grass? After chopping it all, and with the farmwork I'd done earlier, I didn't have any RP left so I had to wait until the next day to enter the Green Ruins that appeared. I actually think the dungeons can be kind of boring, since you have just one attack that you run around and hit enemies with, but fortunately all of the other stuff to do in the game keeps them from getting tedious.

I found the villagers who give me the axe and hammer, but then I find out I can't break stumps and stones until I get better equipment! Once the holiday rolled around I found that Lute guy and bought the forging set, and got myself some better tools! But you use a lot of RP using special attacks and you really have to chop away at those stumps, so it's still going to take a while to get rid of it all. Also... am I going crazy or do new stumps and rocks somehow appear each day?

Is there no shovel like I thought? For some reason I remember there being one in Harvest Moon, but the more I think about it, I think in that game you just dig with the hoe. I have noticed there's a fishing pole on the forge list though. I've been all around town and talked to every villager I could find (I usually try to talk to everyone every day too so I can increase friendship levels), but nobody has given me one. Can you tell me where I can get one from?

I'm glad the bathhouse opened up, I really needed that. I have so many crops that I usually end up using most of my RP points by simply watering them, so if I wanted to go explore a dungeon I'd have to forget about the field for that day.

I think I'll be at this game for a while, at least until a new game comes along. This game already means I've abandoned Little King's Story...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »

It will.
Seriously. If you have any other games you're playing right now, you should finish them up before starting this one.

Anyways, thanks for the tips EasyCure, they helped me get what I need. I can't remember who gave me the sickle but as soon as I had it, guess who asked me to cut some grass? After chopping it all, and with the farmwork I'd done earlier, I didn't have any RP left so I had to wait until the next day to enter the Green Ruins that appeared. I actually think the dungeons can be kind of boring, since you have just one attack that you run around and hit enemies with, but fortunately all of the other stuff to do in the game keeps them from getting tedious.

I found the villagers who give me the axe and hammer, but then I find out I can't break stumps and stones until I get better equipment! Once the holiday rolled around I found that Lute guy and bought the forging set, and got myself some better tools! But you use a lot of RP using special attacks and you really have to chop away at those stumps, so it's still going to take a while to get rid of it all. Also... am I going crazy or do new stumps and rocks somehow appear each day?

Is there no shovel like I thought? For some reason I remember there being one in Harvest Moon, but the more I think about it, I think in that game you just dig with the hoe. I have noticed there's a fishing pole on the forge list though. I've been all around town and talked to every villager I could find (I usually try to talk to everyone every day too so I can increase friendship levels), but nobody has given me one. Can you tell me where I can get one from?

I'm glad the bathhouse opened up, I really needed that. I have so many crops that I usually end up using most of my RP points by simply watering them, so if I wanted to go explore a dungeon I'd have to forget about the field for that day.

I think I'll be at this game for a while, at least until a new game comes along. This game already means I've abandoned Little King's Story...

You're welcome! I'm just glad you're enjoying the game. More people really should check out this game..

Anywho, heres more tips for ya, since you asked oh so nicely:

What exactly do you mean by one attack? Depending on the tool or weapon you're using, you have multiple means of attacking... All your weapons and tools have their advantages and disadvantages. Broadswords have a wide swing and swing quickly, but are weaker than 2-handed swords. Those are much stronger for higher attacks but much heavier so you swing slowly. Spears have awesome reach, etc etc.

New stumps, boulders, branches, rocks, grass (various colors) and weeds grow daily on untilled fields... a certain character also likes it when you till your frields (bonus LP)

Fishing pole? You get that from one of the villagers. Who? I won't tell you but heres a BIG hint.. You'll find them fiishing on nice sunny days. Who better to get fishing equipment from than the local fishing enthusiast!

Oh and you are correct, there is NO shovel in this game, just your hoe. However, unlike some harvest moons it doesn't behave like a shovel and when you till your field items like coins or power berries do not appear (in fact there are none of these items in the game at all).

RP issues? Well remember these two things:

1. If you think your tools use too much RP (whether its a standard or special attack), remember that leveling up your skill levels will mean a decrease in RP consumption. Want a REAL boost? Remember that indoors, time doesn't pass and when you wake up in the morning any RP and HP you lost the previous day will be regained.. *hint hint*

2. Be sure to head to your local library to learn about Runeys. They're those floating spirit things all over your farm and the rest of the village. Once you read up on them you'll learn why and how they grow in numbers, and that work differently inside dungeons than they do out in the wild.. *hint hint*

I'm curious, is there any way you can upload a picture of your farm in its current state? You say you have a lot of crops growing and that it uses up most of your RP after watering them daily, I just want to see exacly how much you have going on considering you still have so many stumps/boulders on your land.