Author Topic: The Nintendo Difference  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« on: March 14, 2003, 09:36:15 PM »
Nintendo is no doubt the most innovative and creative games company ever, why is that you say? Well, instead of making games for certain genres, Nintendo "creates" thier own genres. Creatively the 1980s marked a period of unrivaled creativity set by Nintendo. The Legend of Zelda introduced the Action Adventure RPG, althought there was already RPG's like Final Fantasy before Zelda, but Zelda introduced a new area of action, exploration and epic-ness that was just not present in any other RPG at the time, therefore creating the genre "Action RPG". Take racing games for example, sure Nintendo could have easily created a normal car racing game with realistic cars and tracks (like Gran Turismo and its army of clones), but they opted for thier own style with games like Wave Race, Fzero and Mario Kart, which subsequently started thier own subgenres which spawned many copycat games, Splashdown, Wipeout, Crash Team Racing etc. Another example is Super Smash Bros which introduced the beat em up party style fighter or whatever you wanna to call it. Metroid, Punch-Out!, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Famicom Wars (or Advance Wars), Detective Story, Kid Icarus, Duck Hunt, Kung-Fu, Star Tropics, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64 (the first of its kind that spawned hundreds of copycats), Pikmin, Pokemon Snap (well it is) etc. are all prime examples of the kind of games Nintendo like to create. On Gamecube, Nintendos creative genious has already shone through with innovative games like Metroid Prime, Luigis Mansion, Pikmin and Animal Crossing all paving the way for new genres and new ideas by the creative and innovative minds working at Nintendo. That is the Nintendo Difference and that is why i have a Gamecube!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 10:29:12 PM »
this post doesn't really warrent any more than a good job style post
so
good job, well written i agreen whole heartedly

edit: i thought of something just as i had hit the submit button, is there any clones of Donkey Kong? im talking THE donkey kong, as in mario jumping barrels to defeat the princess stealing donkey kong (or cranky kong depends how you think of it )

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 02:06:37 AM »
Not that I know of, but yes, there have been many 'hero-who-goes-out-into-the-world-to-fight-his-evil-nemesis-to-save-his-girlfriend/wife/sister/daughter/mother/grandmother' games.

And don't you think that the pictures of Link's grandmother form Wind Waker look alot like the old lady from the bomb shop who gets robbed in Majora's Mask?  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 03:45:43 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly (about Nintendo, I'm not sure about the woman).  There are a few corporations that I respect (something hard earned in my case) and Nintendo is one of them.  I doubt I've played one game of theirs that wasn't boiling over and drowning in it all innovation and creativity.  I myself am what one might call creative, aspiring to become a movie director/producer or novelist, and it takes one to know one.  The things they do are amazing, ahead of any other game producers by lightyears, and they never cease to surprise and please me.  They are geniuses, masters of the art.  They are Nintendo, and I like 'em.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline WhoDey

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 04:26:42 AM »
"The Legend of Zelda introduced the Action Adventure RPG, althought there was already RPG's like Final Fantasy before Zelda"

Are you sure about that? I think Zelda was out before Final Fantasy 1.  

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 05:11:01 AM »
According to Gamefaqs (these are all based on the Japanese release dates), the original Legend of Zelda launched three months ahead of the first Dragon Warrior game and almost a full two years ahead of the first Final Fantasy game.

Offline willys85

• View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 09:33:11 AM »
edit: i thought of something just as i had hit the submit button, is there any clones of Donkey Kong? im talking THE donkey kong, as in mario jumping barrels to defeat the princess stealing donkey kong (or cranky kong depends how you think of it )

yes there is, i remember one really bad game for pc, that was Aldo or Aldo's adventure i don't remember but it was  real bad clone of the first DK
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 11:08:26 AM »
hhahahah cool, i want to play it

Offline Yoda

• View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 11:22:41 AM »
Mario are you just insecure about your gamecube that you have to make a thread about how good it is just to justify your purchuse of a gamecube???

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 11:28:22 AM »
err... yeah thats great yoda, too bad your not wise like the hrm... real yoda
i actually never realised that nintendo created so many genres/subgenres, i mean i knew they were great i guess i never really thought about it, so his thread has enlightened someone (me) and i think that makes it worth it. + it was nicely written so why complain?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 11:29:24 AM »
  He could just want to proclaim his satisfaction that Nintendo doesn't let him down in the games department.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 01:10:37 PM »
nintendo didnt make kung fu...irem did. Nintendo published it for nes however. It was published by either acclaim  for atari, and there was an arcade game called kung fu master which is the same game with better graphics.  

oh and for atari there is a bunch of dk clones.
congo bongo, a game about a baseball player that got his ball on the roof and he has to climb up all these obstacles, KING KONG(oh my god that has to be about the most blatant...its almost identicle...has shit graphcis though)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 03:31:56 PM »

Are you sure about that? I think Zelda was out before Final Fantasy 1.

Really? So Nintendo created the RPG then? Wow, even better. And no, im not insecure about my Gamecube, im just a really excited PAL gamer who wanted to express his love for Nintendo. Metroid Prime is just around the corner, Wind Waker bonus disk was just announced for us, Resident Evil Zero, Super Monkey Ball 2, Sonic Mega Collection and Rayman 3 have all just come out, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are just around the corner, Fzero, Mario Kart, Pikmin 2, Animal Crossing 2, 1080, Wario World, FF:CC have all been promised for this year and i just couldnt contain my excitement. Sorry "Yoda" if i offended your precious Xbox and teh innovativeness that is present in Halo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Quantum redshift and Monster truck madness.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 03:40:21 PM »
"The Nintendo Difference" equates to my increased credit card balance on game expenditures.
Getting charged 50 bucks for Metroid Prime or Zelda is quite a difference from not getting those games at all. *_*
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 04:38:39 PM »
yes, its an exciting time indeed for us PAL gamers, i better get lots of hours to pay for all the games i want

any idea when skys of arcadia comes out here mario/other pal gamers?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 05:05:26 PM »
Cool post Mario, help us to remember why we bought the Gamecube for hehe.
So PIAC and Mario, what Pal regions are you from?
I'm from Australia!

Wonder what innovative new game Nintendo has installed for us at E3..

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 05:12:31 PM »
Nintendo has always been a company driving for something new. Then when they have to remake something thats old, they use the old idea and mix it with new ideas to make a totally new cool concept that we all love.  Nintendo continues to produce excellent game after excellent game even though people who don't like Nintendo bash the system and it's games. "Nintendo is too kiddish, Mario is for little babies" If Nintendo games are so kiddish then why is Nintendo still here? If Nintendo makes such little kid games then why do teens and adults buy them? Why is Nintendo one of the greatest software developers around? I grew up on Nintendo and still today have a Nintendo. I've gone in other directions but Nintendo just grabs me back for more fun. Long Live Nintendo!
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 09:18:07 PM »
we are both australian
head over to general chat, there is a thread for us aussies go there and tell us where you are from and stuff

yes, nintendo does seem to instill a certain felling of warm fuzzy entertaining goodness, i look at the other consoles and think "wheres the heart? wheres the love? wheres the warmth?"

and cheers for the link mario oooh pso is in 5 days hrm... ill be able to afford it and metroid fusion, and then ill have to stop spending to get prime and skies and then zelda..
bloody hell nintendo

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 11:53:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Hybrid Hunter
Cool post Mario, help us to remember why we bought the Gamecube for hehe.
So PIAC and Mario, what Pal regions are you from?
I'm from Australia!

What? You didn't know they were from Australia? Geez.
List of Aussie PGC'ers:
-Myself
-You
-Mario (or Game_Freak if you wish to refer to him as such)
-Infernal Monkey
-AiAi
-RABicle
-gcfreak
-PIAC
-Yoda
-DeadlyD
-Joeyjojo
-Evilmanman
and of course:
-Aussie Ben PGC (Who's name is Ben, if you didn't know who is our faithful Aussie PGC reporter) .
and also:
-Mike C, from New Zealand .

EDIT: And now:
-JohnH88, from Perth! Welcome to the wonderful world of the PGC forums!
and -WaReWoLf (I think)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2003, 01:02:01 AM »
as you can see we are slowly takeing over, we even have a member on staff

did i say that out loud just now? ^_^

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
The Nintendo Difference
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2003, 02:12:11 AM »
haha.
yeah.

we just gotta get at least 1800 more aussies onto the forums.