Author Topic: Dual Analog controls  (Read 2667 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Dual Analog controls
« on: March 13, 2003, 07:20:12 PM »
The first FPS I really got involved with was Rainbow Six on PC, and that instilled in me the necessity for precise aim.  Then Perfect Dark came out (and later my free copy of The World Is Not Enough thanks to my friend who works at EA), and immediately I chose the control scheme where the analog stick (left thumb) would control aiming/looking, and character movement handled by my right thumb via the C-buttons.  Eventually my left thumb was educated for such "left-analog" aiming, as it was educated for moving any character in the 10 years worth of gaming before it, so relying on my left thumb for any important control seemed logical.

That leads me to ask, WHY THE HELL have some developers decided to map aiming to right-analog sticks and not the left-analog?  My right thumb hasn't had any analog experience whatsoever, yet it's what 007: Agent Under Fire forced me to used.  Even worse, the c-stick on the Cube controller doesn't have as much range as the left-analog, lacking some useful precision.  I've never cursed at a game so much in my life, thanks to the lopsided control scheme (thankfully, 007:AUF was only a rental, but a very bad one).

The GCN version of Hitman 2 is something I plan on getting immediately, but if it doesn't offer left-analog aim, I'm afraid I might forsake it altogether.

Anyone else ever concerned about these back-asswards development choices?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mingesium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dual Analog controls
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 07:51:43 PM »
you know there is probable options where you can change it.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Dual Analog controls
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 03:15:17 AM »
I don't know about Agent Under Fire, but Nightfire has TONS of control schemes. About 10 I think. I don't know about left-analog for aiming, but it's bound to be in there. Hang On. I'll check.

Aww. nothing in the manual explaining the controls.
but i'm sure the option is there in Nightfire. Rent it out.
It's quite a good game.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Dual Analog controls
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 03:16:30 AM »
Funny thing is, back in goldeneye, because I am right handed, I used my left hand on dpad and right on anaguol. It made opening doors and reloading and changing weapons a little messy, but it improved what really counted at the end on the day, headshots! Therefore making the default controls from TS2 sweet as.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Dual Analog controls
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 06:23:10 AM »
I do wanna try Nightfire, but does that "bullet not registering (shoot a guy, nothing happens)" phenomenon I keep hearing about pose a big problem?  It was rampant in Agent Under Fire.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Razex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dual Analog controls
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 09:22:46 AM »
Yea, some of the enemies think they're the man of steel, I would shoot them and they wouldn't react at all, it really pissed me off and took away any sense of realism or satisfaction. If you want a good fps I would just stick with TS2, I only rented Nightfire, the single-player is pretty fun, but TS2 just destroys it in every other category.