Author Topic: Metroid Prime in Progressive Scan.....wow!  (Read 19446 times)

Offline Trippy Pancakes

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime in Progressive Scan.....wow!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2003, 02:21:11 AM »
>>  Anyway, the best buy I've seen for a prog. scan TV was $1000.00 for a 26".

Sean, go to www.BestBuy.com and Search for Samsung TVs (HDTVs).  The 27" is $699.00 and the 32" is on sale for $899.00.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2003, 04:42:45 AM »
Here is a link to a home theater of a friend of mine I know online.  he's told me that the entire video setup pretty much just cost $2k, with the projector ringing in at about $1500 and the screen and cabling and other stuff rounding out the rest of the bill.

If you want to do the hang-on-the-wall thing, that's the way to do it

Those samsung TV's aren't the greatest (I did a lot of comparison shopping when I was hunting for my TV), and the cheaper ones don't have any 3:2 pulldown (which helps a LOT with anti-aliasing and a clear picture).  But they're also dropping quickly in price -- the one for $899 was $999 just a little over a month ago.

I also noticed that the jagged edges are more due to the image being displayed on a huge-ass screen.  If you compare a 13" computer monitor running at 640x480 to a 19" computer monitor running at 640x480, the 13" will probably look better because the smaller size helps hide those pixels.  But the bigger monitor can display other resolutions much better.  It's similar with a big TV -- most HDTVs out there right now are on really big screens, so you notice the tiniest flaws a little easier.  Compared to a giant normal TV screen, though, there's a world of difference.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2003, 05:16:34 AM »
Trippy Pancakes can you give links to those cheap HDTVs on bestbuy, Ive never used it and couldnt find those TVs you meant.
LZ 2005

Offline Trippy Pancakes

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2003, 06:44:43 AM »
>>  Trippy Pancakes can you give links to those cheap HDTVs on bestbuy, Ive never used it and couldnt find those TVs you meant.

Samsung 32" DynaFlat HDTV Monitor

Samsung Tantus 27" HDTV Monitor with DynaFlat Flat Picture Tube

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2003, 01:45:08 AM »
Thanks Dude, finally HDTVs become affordable.
LZ 2005

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2003, 03:41:21 AM »

I don't understand why those HDTV monitors are 4:3 ratio?  Shouldn't they have 16:9 widescreens?   Well, whatever.  The $700 pricetag is too rich for my blood.  My standard 27" TV was only $200, so I'll wait 1-2 years until these "special" HDTVs come down in price.

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
Well, since ive never seen even S-Video let alone component input progressive scan stuff, and I still find the graphics great, I can settle with the fact that until I get a better TV I miss out on some visual quality.
If you don't have S-Video cable, it's worth getting.  You can see the difference even on a standard TV.

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2003, 09:31:27 AM »
Do the side bars on everything not in widescreen format (that's pretty much everything, right?) look bad/get annoying? I'm used to black bars on the top and bottom of my screen for widescreen movies, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with them on the side. (That's just how the eyes work, that's why theatres screens are wide in the first place.)

"3:2 pulldown" - huh?

What's the smallest HDTV worth buying, and widescreen worth it or not? Is a large CRT with component inputs a good alternative? There may be some financial issues, but mainly I don't want to deal with looking at jaggies.

Please answer my questions.
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »
3:2 pulldown (aka inverse telecine) is the process of taking 24fps theatrical video that has been converted to 29.97 fps NTSC video (such as what's found on DVDs) and deleting the extra frames [that were added to produce 29.97fps) so that the video runs in its native 24fps, thus cleaner motion.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline scot

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2003, 02:51:41 AM »
3:2 pulldown is NOT the "removing of extra frames".

http://www.mediaibc.com/cine/Tech/edit_tech/Pulldown%20Explained.shtml
Check out that page, or do some more searching and find some more less technical explanations.

Oh and my panasonic l300u projector (<2k) works great with my 119" hccv dalite screen.  No burnin, and takes MUCH less room overall than my toshiba tw56x81 rear projection.  Even though the black levels are nowhere near as good as the rptv, the colors are amazing, and the size is...  

As far as which TV to buy to limit jaggies? Remember what we are dealing with here.  You are taking a limited resolution and blowing it up on a large screen.  NO specific tv or rptv will matter when it comes to "eliminating jaggies" since it just the size difference.  Now what some of the better sets do is part of the "upconversion" or line doubling or whatever.  They will try to "create" resolution by smoothing out the transitions between lines.  This only works on a set that supports a HIGHER resolution than the original material, but the effect is still limited by the original resolution, and how much processing is really required for good viewing.  In general the good sets use minimal processing, just enough to get everything looking right.  any more and you actually change the original image, which is not good.

For gameplay I would NOT suggest an RPTV or any largeformat crt displays.  The CRT can suffer "burnin" like old computer monitors.  Games are notorious for having fixed items (dashboard, speedometer, rearview, health indicators etc) that will sit on the screen without moving for hours and hours.  This can become permenantly "burnt" into the screen.  (though technically its the other way around where those spots on the crt have LESS ability to glow, and the screen has nothing to do with it...)

Here is my personal list:
If you play at night or in a room without windows:
LCD or DLP Projector.  DLP is better if you can afford one with a 3x+ color wheel (3k+) though lcd isnt far behind.
(All of the cheaper projectors are either LCD or DLP based. DLP while sounding like a great idea, can cause headaches and "rainbows" for some people when used with a 2x color wheel.  The more expensive ones either use 3-5x color wheels or 3dlp chips.  Some people are also affected by 3x color wheels, and require 5x wheels. )  If you think you want to go with a projector, PLEASE check around on the internet.  Ask me privately if you want a few sites to go visit for more info.  There are tons of projectors, and no good standards for measurements, so the quotes specs are almost 100% misleading!

If you have windows:
Plasma if you have $$$$$$$$  - Warning, cheap plasmas are AWEFUL.  Bad refresh rates etc.
LCD Not really a good choice with thelimited viewing angle, but not bad either.  Blacks are not as good as the plasma.
Regular Tube: Probably the best choice for the money.
RPTV: IF you are willing to risk burnin....

Widescreen or not.  If you will watch dvds on the same unit, GET WIDESCREEN.  If its HDTV and you think you will watch real hdtv on it.  GET WIDESCREEN
otherwise 4:3 is good.

Scot

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2003, 05:49:01 PM »
What is this "Progressive Scan" and is it available in Australia? Me is confused...

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2003, 07:02:35 PM »
Progressive scan is an option with certain gamecube games. Basically it's like the difference between watching something through window blinds or opening that sucker up. Pretty much. And I am pretty sure it is available in AU, check Nintendo of Australia's website to see if they have the cables available there.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2003, 07:59:18 AM »
That was a LOUSY explanation.  It doesn't sound like you have any clue what "progressive" means.  So, why did you bother discussing something you don't understand?  All you do is spread mis-information.

Here's the REAL answers:
interlace = The TV draws odd horizontal lines on one frame (1,3,5,...) and even horizontal lines on the next frame (2,4,6,...).  Repeat that cycle 30 times a second.
progressive = The TV draws ALL the lines (1,2,3,4,5,6,...) in a single frame.
The words "interlace" and "progressive" are self-explanatory if you think about their meaning.  Interlaced mode interlaces the lines together on separate frames.  Progressive mode draws the picture progressive down the screen without skipping lines.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2003, 07:59:21 AM »
I have a question about progressive scan and this game. When I told the gamecube to use progressive scan mode, there were excessive jaggies. If I used interlaced mode, and had my tv (wega xbr) handle the progressive scan, it looked much better. Why is this so?

Also, why do you say NTSC is 29.97 frames per second? Isn't the frame frequency determined by the electric frequency of 60 cycles per second?

Troy (Sidles out of the room)  

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2003, 07:59:22 AM »
ooops

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2003, 11:09:29 AM »
theaveng, you are not a very tactful bastard are you?

I know exactly what it is, but I felt like giving a laymans explanation, for....the layman out there.