Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 664163 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3125 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
But firmware can fix it, right? At least for future games..... ?
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3126 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »
Nope. It's the main factor used in determining the key and is basically hardcoded into the system in a way that changing it would break everything.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: December 30, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
As a programmer I know that getting a computer to give you a random value can be a challenge.  Human beings can be random, computers cannot.  Computers are mindless drones that do exactly what you tell them.  Hell, a lot of bugs come from making human assumptions and not taking into account exactly how literal a computer will interpret your command.  You cannot ask a computer to produce a random value, but you can fake it with algorithms.  What you're really trying to do is come up with an algorithm that someone could not guess just by observing the results.  It's like making a secret code and it can be really hard.  If someone wanted me to come up with such an algorithm to combat piracy on a console, I would find it very intimidating.  I honestly don't think I would be smart enough to do the job right.

Sony needed to hire a REALLY smart programmer to do this and it's kind of funny that they not only seem to have handed this duty to someone who not only seems to be below-average intelligence by programmer standards but by just general human being standards period.  If I asked pretty much anyone to create a "random number generator" for me, odds are 99% of them would naturally assume I meant for a different random number each time.  You would have to really stunned to think I just want one random number.  Well what do I need a generator for then?  I can do that myself.  I randomly pick.... 23.  Done.  No generator needed.

But the big question is: who the **** tested this?  It would take very little effort to discover "hey I get 4 every time."  Now if someone is inexperienced with testing or does not have a technical background they might not catch it.  But this is security stuff.  It's all behind-the-curtain technical stuff.  You would naturally get a technical person to test it.  And this is REALLY important.  We're talking millions in potential revenue lost if this is not done right.  With that at stake you don't get the intern who doesn't give a **** to test it, you get your best guy to test it.  You get several independent people to test it.  You set up a team to specifically TRY to crack the security.  They either didn't test this at all or Sony unfortunately has both a really dumb programmer and a really lazy slack-off tester working for them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:04:06 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
Maybe they could make a tiny bubble thing and put a tiny dice thing inside and when a random number is called for the computer would rumble/shake the bubble and whatever that dice thing landed on it would be random. Right? Couldn't something like that be built into a computer to generate random values?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 30, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
@Ian

maybe the programmer was the tester

shyamalantwist.jpg

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 30, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
Well, the PS3 had a good run with not being cracked. It came out at the end of 2006 and it took 4 years before it got cracked. 5 years is the lifetime for most consoles, so what the hell... The really amazing thing here is that it was something so ridiculously stupid and yet took THIS much time before anyone figured it out.
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: January 07, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
Please, no more piracy talk in this thread.  kthxbye
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: January 07, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »
No piracy.  You can discuss piracy in general, but specifics will not be tolerated.

Also, please don't wish for banning...or death. Seriously people, I shouldn't have to tell you this.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3133 on: January 07, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
HOW IS IT NOBODY GOT BANNED?

Y
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
I like how he split the thread, and kept it going from the point when the thread was still good.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
I like how he split the thread, and kept it going from the point when the thread was still good.

*shrugs*  Things got out-of-hand with one poster, but I thought that the discussion overall was pretty good and most people kept things civil.  Oh well.

To be honest, I'm just throwing this out there, but does this entire topic even need to exist?  The whole thread was started to mock Sony for its sales failings with the PS3 and PSP.  The thread seems designed for anti-Sony posters to troll those who do enjoy playing PS3/PSP games.  If the thread stays, fine since most posters keep the discussion pretty civil.  It's just that the thread has always seemed pretty mean-spirited.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:49:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
Ahh well, it had a good thing going while it lasted. New knowledge was shared, some understands bridge. Assumptions tested. Maybe a mind or two somewhere opened to new possibilities. Anyone here a telepath? At least it is locked in carbonite for future prosperity.

A shame it went from this:

To this:

Image curiosity of one Captain Chewbacca.

This thread should exist as it is the defacto Sony news thread of which most of it happens to be bad for Sony.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 07, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
pshhh i love sony, they make little big planet. I just think they need to go third party and release it on Wii :P

see that talk works in reverse too.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 07, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »

*shrugs*  Things got out-of-hand with one poster, but I thought that the discussion overall was pretty good and most people kept things civil.  Oh well.

To be honest, I'm just throwing this out there, but does this entire topic even need to exist?  The whole thread was started to mock Sony for its sales failings with the PS3 and PSP.  The thread seems designed for anti-Sony posters to troll those who do enjoy playing PS3/PSP games.  If the thread stays, fine since most posters keep the discussion pretty civil.  It's just that the thread has always seemed pretty mean-spirited.
I mostly disagree about it being mean spirited.  This thread serves as a critical discussion of Sony's moves, and their results.  Yes, the insights are mostly negative, but there have been posts highlighting some of Sony's recent achievements (for example the sales bumps after the slim and move were released).  I would be fine with changing the title, but then I'd probably forget about this thread eventually.

But if you insist that this is designed for anti-sony trolls and should be removed, then I'll have to insist on the removal of a certain Nintendo-hating troll (I don't actually consider either group trolls, but for comparison's sake...).  I'd prefer if we just showed tolerance.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 07, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
But if you insist that this is designed for anti-sony trolls and should be removed, then I'll have to insist on the removal of a certain Nintendo-hating troll (I don't actually consider either group trolls, but for comparison's sake...).  I'd prefer if we just showed tolerance.

Out of curiosity, who are you referring to?  Ian?  I know I've had a lot of good to say about Nintendo this year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 07, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

Out of curiosity, who are you referring to?  Ian?  I know I've had a lot of good to say about Nintendo this year.
Yes, I thought it was obvious.  I'm always feeling I pick on him too much, but he really distinguishes himself from everyone else.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 07, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
So what game should I buy for my PS3?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
This thread is more than just a platform for anti-Sonyism (although it is used for that purpose as well), it is mainly a place to discuss Sony's failures and what impact those failures will have on future developments regarding Sony products and the gaming industry as a whole. Whether you hate Sony or you're a fan, when something blows up in their face its worth talking about because it effects anyone who cares even in the slightest about gaming. Some may gloat, and others may cringe, but either way its something they care enough about to discuss, and that's why this thread should be kept alive.

Not to mention the fact it was started way back in 2006, so it has a good history to it and sees regular activity. That alone should be enough to keep it from being closed. I am glad the moderators split off the piracy and other unpleasantness and locked that instead of locking this thread. The bad stuff has been excised so the thread is a lot cleaner now, imo.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »
This thread has been very mean-spirited at times (and has generally been a Sony trolling thread), but there's no reason it should go anywhere.  I'd rather have the trolling contained here than spread rampant across the boards like it has been at various times in the last five years.

I haven't kept track of this thread for a long time, but it's become so damn long that it's almost a timeline of hatred.  It waxes, it wanes, but the hate is always there. LOL
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
This thread was started to troll Sony, but it evolved into what is basically PlayStation General Discussion. It has its ups and downs, but on the whole I wouldn't call it a trolling thread. Besides, the only reason it's so negative is because Sony's a terrible company who always rips off Nintendo and deserves to crash and burn after their undeserved success in the previous generations.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:33 PM »
That thread did get out of hand, but there was so much much fuel being added to the fire from so many directions it's kind of hard to put the blame on any particular person. I have no power here, but I think a perma-ban is a little excessive. I don't know if any PM's were sent by mods, and there were and the PM's were ignored (though PM notification is basically non-existent on the "new" layout), then that's a different story. Also, Sony sucks. Just wanted to get back on topic.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: January 08, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
Besides, the only reason it's so negative is because Sony's a terrible company who always rips off Nintendo and deserves to crash and burn after their undeserved success in the previous generations.

It sorta also doesn't help matters that this is primarily a Nintendo site, so I would think the outrage over that kind of stuff gets amplified here more so than it would on most forums.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:44:54 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: January 10, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
This thread has been very mean-spirited at times (and has generally been a Sony trolling thread), but there's no reason it should go anywhere.  I'd rather have the trolling contained here than spread rampant across the boards like it has been at various times in the last five years.

I haven't kept track of this thread for a long time, but it's become so damn long that it's almost a timeline of hatred.  It waxes, it wanes, but the hate is always there. LOL

Why always with the LOL? If you're going to grief at least do it right! I'm talking replacing the website theme with horrible flash files that play music.

...not that I've done that.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3148 on: January 10, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
FREE KING ADMIN