Author Topic: The Price...  (Read 8608 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The Price...
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 07:31:32 AM »
Most of that stuff is unreasonable to price into the initial console cost. The DVD licensing fee won't have to be paid unless the user buys the optional DVD add-on, so it's ridiculous to price it into the system instead of the add-on. Likewise, the VC cost money to develop, but that money will undoubtedly be recouped by the VC download fees. Expecting the casual user to pay for its development whether he/she intends to use the VC or not doesn't sit well with me. The cost of the Wifi I can sort of see, but that's really trivial. The cost of the servers, though? How about pricing that into the game that uses the servers instead?

In the end, I'm not going to be happy paying up front for a lot of stuff that I might not use. Nintendo might as well launch the Wii at $10,000 to pay for the development of every single first party game they plan on making for it.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:The Price...
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
Wow, jason triple posted, and each of them started with the word "actually"..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »
I've got a little wheel that I spin every day, then I start most of my posts with either Actually, Indeed, Of Course, or It may well be that

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
RE:The Price...
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

I still don't think it could launch for less then $249.99 and I do think it will include 2 Wiimotes and Nunchukus because they want more people to try it.

Nintendo is paying for all that extra stuff you mention by not upgrading the cpu/ram/gpu nearly as much as its competitors.  The Wifi service will be covered by the price of VC games and Rev games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »
Launch Prices

$199 Atari 2600
$299  Intellivision
$150  Intellivision II
$249.99 Jaguar
$299.99 TurboDuo
$200 Master System
$200 Genesis
$200  Super Nintendo
$399 Sega Saturn
$299 Playstation (That was a surprise to me.  It thought it looked terrible and would never make it)
$199 N64

I just feel that it's gotten to the point that since there not using off the shelf parts that a $50 price markup would be justified.  Especially if they included a game like everyone wants. (I had a point with those but lost.  Though I thought that was interesting so I'm leaving it up.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 08:17:30 PM »
I've thought about it, and decided the "Free Wii" idea is complete garbage, and here's why:

Controllers aren't sold at a huge markup... and third party game licensing fees aren't that enormous.

$200 for a controller and 3 games (assuming they're all third party) probably nets Nintendo at best $30-$40... that's not enough to pay for Wii manufacturing unless they're planning to do a Microsoftian level of subsidy.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 09:42:06 PM »
I wander if it comes with a recharger for the controller, or does the controller use batteries.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 10:31:49 PM »
It all depends on the following things:

1: The optical format. Not once has Nintendo confirmed what type of DVD drive will be in the system. I'm not saying there going to put in a HDVD in the Wii but in may be a 15gig disc or good old DvD-9's or something else??? But I'm so sure that it has a large impact.

2: Sound output. Will this system support real DD5.1 and not Dolby Pro Logic II?

3: Video Output. 480p is a given. Don't worry about that. And although this might seem foolish but Nintendo may decide to include a DVI out/in on the system. NOT FOR HDTVS but other things. NinTivo?

4: What's in the Box? It will not come with a Wii game. Please don't get yourselves believing that. FREE VC DOWNLOADS, sure why not. A three piece controller scheme. Maybe.

5: The DS. This seems like even more of a stretch than the previous things I posted but ahh nevermind. It's late and my pills are starting to wear off. Transfer protocol box for 802.11 devices and storage and MI:III was good.....LeBron is a man.... two sku's with or without a DSL included.

I love the people on this planet. They make me feel all jelly in my feet.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 01:05:47 AM »
My guess will be if the price is revealed during E3 then it will probobly be $200 but if they say they'll reveal it at a later date then it'll be over $200.  

I remember hearing a rumor that Nintendo might not say the price at E3 which if true, points to the Wii being over the $200 range since they know annoucing the system for that much might anger some people and they want all the attention at E3 to be on just the games.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai