Author Topic: Mafia XL: WWII. 1944. Brave New World.  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Mafia XL: WWII. 1944. Brave New World.
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
This is thread were we complain about all the lousy things I did this game. Let me start. Warbucks. What's the deal with that?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XL: WWII. 1944. Brave New World.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:09 PM »
Did I survive?

I've got no complaints Khushrenada. Thank you for hosting on short notice, even though it was a hassle.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
You won. Check the player list.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
Good game everyone. Thatguy carried the team of course, with Vudu not far behind, hindered mostly by... being hit. Happens to the best of us. But I still took a little initiative, so although this is my third win it is probably my first one where I actually helped. Somewhat. Maybe. I guess I'll never know.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:19:19 AM »
Well Mop_it_up you did help alot in the first half of the game. Without you telling me that you had an atomic secret we might not of gotten all the secrets the day we built the bomb. Might have been another day extra.

I find it funny that Dasmos didn't really play and got a win yet other people were in at the start and died.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:22:18 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:46:17 AM »
I find it funny that Dasmos didn't really play and got a win yet other people were in at the start and died.

It's coz I'm that good.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:43 AM »

It's coz I'm that good.
No I think it is because Rabicle decided to not kill you since you are a fellow Aussie.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:55 AM »
I think it's because, as an inactive player, Dasmos wasn't doing anything harmful for him.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:43:25 AM »
I really wanted thatguy to die. Mark my words. I will kill him in the next game.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:11:16 AM »
A Guy might be killed, but there's no telling which one it will be :p

Edit:  I loved Warbucks.  They're a great way to let players decide how involved they want to be, and a great way to allow players reward for playing well.

What could have made things work better, warbuck-wise?  These are a few hypothetical possibities.

Maybe rather than earning the money, at least for the townies, should a military strike hit another townie, the player who sent the strike would be suspended from reaching the shop the following day.

It would mean money is earned for each correct missile strike, but money is lost and a penalty is given for the incorrect ones.

The War Profiteer could have actually run the shop.  He could have been a neutral role, just like the killer, but been announced at the beginning of the game, to every player, and his goal, aside from being the last one left, would have been to earn a certain amount of cash.  He'd have to manufacture items for a certain cost determined by Khush, but from there, he could sell whatever he wanted.  He'd manufacture at night and sell during the day.  Potentially, he could even conceive items, and Khush would set the price tag of said item as they're conceived.  The flaw with this would be the level of stress level it puts on the host, as inventory moved would have to go through the host in order for the cash to move over a forum.  I wouldn't object to players being able to sell purchased items to each other, as well, or even being able to give money or items away, it makes strategical and contextual sense.  In this game, though, it would have broken things on Day 1, but after that, it would have worked.  The mafia could have bought both military strikes the first day, and begun with a very strong lead.

Anyways, if one side felt the war profiteer was benefiting the other to a too great extent, they could just kill him, so he'd have to work to stay alive by being fair enough in his market.  He wouldn't get a nightly hit in this version, he'd have to use military strikes he purchases, but decides not to sell.

I like the idea, but like I said, it would be tough to do on a forum.  I think we might should package this game, create some kind of board, and sell it to Parker Bros. or Milton Bradley, Khush :p

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 05:04:22 AM »
I wish I cottoned onto the infinite money glitch on the second day. You'd all be dead already.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
This is thread were we complain about all the lousy things I did this game. Let me start. Warbucks. What's the deal with that?

Despite being a big fan of the straight-up mafia games, I really enjoyed this game.  It was sufficiently different from a normal game without resorting to the gimmicks found in a lot of these games.  The execution was a bit flawed, but there's definitely potential for a great game.

The shop needs a bit of an overhaul.  It sucks that RAB lost the game just because stevey sent in his order a few seconds before RAB did.  Then again, it sucks that we couldn't get rid of RAB the day before just because he bought everything before anyone else could.  Something as arbitrary as that shouldn't decide the outcome of the game.

RAB's right about airstrikes being broken; the fact that you earn all your money back--if not more--makes it a self-perpetuating system.

There's no reason why the Axis should have lost--if they understood the rules in the beginning I'm sure they would have spent their Warbucks differently--come to think of it, I don't think they spent any, did they?  They started the game with more Warbucks than anyone else.  They should have purchased both vote blocks and both extra votes immediately.  They could have used them to save Pale and vote out someone else (earning them even more Warbucks).  Combine that with a couple of bunkers and some airstrikes and they could have taken out everyone else within the first couple of days.

If we hadn't voted out Pale on day 1 thatguy wouldn't have had enough money to buy the airstrike against Stogi and I wouldn't have had the money needed to buy all the bomb investigations.  So much of the game was affected by the first day.  It's absolutely crucial that you're on the side that votes out whoever dies the first day just so you can get the Warbucks.  (Buying the extra votes and using them to increase your share of the pot is how thatguy increased his winnings even more.)  There really needs to be a bomber in the game just to help combat rampant bandwagons.

I think next time instead of opening the shop at a specific time and having a limited number of items you should either A) have people bid on a limited number of items during the day for use the next day or B) increase the price of an item after each successful sale (first extra vote of the day/game costs $100, second costs $150, third costs $200, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:43:43 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
I also had some ideas.  I had been editing my post above with the two I had, so they're up there, too.  I think the great thing about it is that it can be varied a ton of different ways, vudu's inflating prices would work great, as would bidding.

There's no one solution to the issues we had, but lots of different methods would work.  Oh, and vudu, it turned out I misread and the blocks were atomic secret investigation blocks, keeping someone from succeeding in an investigation.  Essentially the most worthless item to the townies :p

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
I'm still confused out of my mind.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
Join the club.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »
Well, since I'm back, I want in on the next Mafia game, so who's hosting and when? :)
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
Well I am hosting the next one it will have signups the 1st to the 7th.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:45 PM »
Nice! :)
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »
Join the club.

You weren't confused, you knew who was who and what was going on!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:21 AM »
Join the club.

You weren't confused, you knew who was who and what was going on!
Meh, lucky guess. I thought you were Mafia or the Killer which is why I never contacted you directly.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »
In retrospect, when RAB got a little upset about being in a list with practically every player in the game, I should have pushed a bit of the vote toward him and tried to create a tie.

At least, that would have been the most fun option :D  I didn't know he was the profiteer, then, though.  He was the second candidate on my priority list, behind stevey.  The next day, had both the identifiers and one missile been sold, had it come to the end of the day without hearing any word of any investigations, I would have killed stevey over RAB.

I suppose it's a moot point, because people interested in the military strikes had enough cash to buy 'em both, but still, it's worth saying that I wasn't sure of RAB until the investigation on him turned up saying who he was.

Also, stevey... Who'd you investigate?  I never heard, so I'm curious.

Mop_it_up, my saving grace was Maxi's investigation.  Had it not occurred, I'd have had to rely on stevey.  I believe he identified either me or RAB on the last day, or second to last day, but I can't be certain.  Still, had I not had Maxi's investigation as a method to rally under, I don't know if you or Stratos would have voted with me against RAB to keep as many people alive as possible.  I'm pretty sure he knew who was who because he voted and saved the day with a tie-breaker, but you can never be too certain.  I was still trying to figure out the right value to bid in case of a tie-breaker between me and RAB.  He wouldn't have had to bid to live, while if he outbid me, he'd still get my cash, and he'd have tons of cash from the night's hit, anyways.  I'm just glad it didn't come to that.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »
Stevey investigated Shyguy who was Germany so he turned up townie and Me who was a normal townie. I asked him why he didn't come forward. He said that Germany was still alive so it wasn't that safe to be contacting townies he investigated. stevey PMed me after Shyguy died.Told me not to tell anyone who he was. I didn't tell but thatguy was going to search Rab and stevey anyway so it didn't matter that I didn't tell anyone.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:53:23 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss