Author Topic: Nintendo And LEGO Teaming Up For Interactive Mario Line  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo And LEGO Teaming Up For Interactive Mario Line
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:13:00 AM »

Neither a video game, nor a traditional LEGO set.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/53172/nintendo-and-lego-teaming-up-for-interactive-mario-line

The LEGO tease a couple of days ago was for a new type of figure featuring our beloved plumber.

LEGO and Nintendo officially announced a partnership for the Mario series today, showing off new figures that interact. Launching later this year, Mario will collect coins by interacting with other LEGO playsets themed around the series, while playing several iconic sound effects.

Retail leaks earlier this week suggested the series would have thirteen sets, though more details are expected soon.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo And LEGO Teaming Up For Interactive Mario Line
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
This is still so bizarre to me considering there was a point in time where LEGO was trying to sue the pants off of Nintendo for N&B Block.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
My son already invented this concept. Where do I preorder?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »
I'm obviously not the target market here but I would have expected something from Lego that's more builder focused.  These don't look like sets that would take very long to build at all.  So this is more like a playset, which is fine in itself, but then why team up with Lego?

Mario actually doesn't seem like the ideal Nintendo property to become Lego since you don't really associate Mario with vehicles or locales, which usually make the best Lego sets.  A Star Fox Arwing, F-Zero vehicles, Samus' ship - those would make great Lego sets.  The problem is that I just listed off lower tier Nintendo franchises that fans like us love, but lack the name value of Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.  With Zelda you could probably create sets similar to Castle Lego since it has lots of locales.  You could make sets based on the Temple of Time, Hyrule Castle, Lost Woods, Karkariko Village, etc.

Now Super Mario RPG would work really well with Lego.  And those sets would be bought by me and other geeks pushing middle age and no one else.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
you don't really associate Mario with vehicles

Wait... what?

Mario Kart games sell more than Mario platformers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »
Mario actually doesn't seem like the ideal Nintendo property to become Lego since you don't really associate Mario with vehicles or locales, which usually make the best Lego sets.  A Star Fox Arwing, F-Zero vehicles, Samus' ship - those would make great Lego sets.  The problem is that I just listed off lower tier Nintendo franchises that fans like us love, but lack the name value of Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.  With Zelda you could probably create sets similar to Castle Lego since it has lots of locales.  You could make sets based on the Temple of Time, Hyrule Castle, Lost Woods, Karkariko Village, etc.

Now Super Mario RPG would work really well with Lego.  And those sets would be bought by me and other geeks pushing middle age and no one else.

They could've done sets of Bowser's or Peach's castle.  Those would be fun builds.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »
This isn't quite what I would have expected. I can't see this appealing to adult Lego collectors as much as large building sets like Bowser's Castle or a Mario Kart track would have. Not that it matters to me personally since I'm not one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »
I was hoping for a Lego Mario game. Maybe that can still happen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheXenocide

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »
Anybody else get the vibe this is some sort of bizarre NFC powered board game?