Author Topic: Wii U Pro Controller to Retail for $49.99 in North America  (Read 17567 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U Pro Controller to Retail for $49.99 in North America
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
Actually, I do know most of what I say. And I am not the one who acts like others are wrong because they disagree.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline jedidethfreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
People pay - without whining - the same price for the PS3 controller, which has very little difference to the DualShock on the PS1, which is about twelve years old.  The only reason it's considered a "premium" price here is because it's a Nintendo console.  The outrage over Bayonetta 2 along with this just proves that people think Nintendo isn't allowed to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »
If they weren't complaining before (when Sony & MS where charging the same amount for years now), but are complain now (that Nintendo is doing the same), I CAN"T WAIT till everyone sees how much the uMote cost when they start selling those things stand-alone.

Who wants to start the guesstimate thread on that one?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »
Would Have Been Posted, If Not For Kairon.  Attempted re-posting below.
 - broodwars.  :P: :

[EDIT: Post accidentally modifed and much of it deleted instead of replied to by KAIRON]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:52:50 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 02:16:05 PM »
And the 360 controller is SEVEN years old. HHHHHURRRR.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
And the 360 controller is SEVEN years old. HHHHHURRRR.

Microsoft also charges money for simple online play, a concept I find pretty abhorrent given how the market has changed and the fact that its competitors do not charge for online.  But despite all the ads and the increasingly worse interface Microsoft forces on them, people pay Microsoft's online ransom anyway so it's hard to argue they aren't getting what they deserve.  The same goes for the controller costs: they're terrible, but Microsoft wouldn't be charging what they do for them if people weren't buying them at that price so I guess there's no point arguing it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
Note: This is an attempted recreation of an earlier post that was lost.  If it seems out of the flow of conversation by the time it is posted, that is why.

People pay - without whining - the same price for the PS3 controller, which has very little difference to the DualShock on the PS1, which is about twelve years old.  The only reason it's considered a "premium" price here is because it's a Nintendo console.

I think the Wii U Pro Controller pricing just put a spotlight on a pricing scheme everyone thought was terrible but had just learned to live with after all these years.  I've actually been needing to pick up a new Dualshock 3 for my PS3 lately, as my original controller now refuses to sync with my PS3 and my backup DS3 has been rapidly draining its battery lately.  I've been reticent to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the purchase, though, because for the price of that one controller I could almost buy a new game, and I could buy 1-2 less-new games with it.  This pricing sucked with the PS3, it sucked with the 360, and it still sucks now with the Wii U Pro Controller.  The pricing here just seems less excusable because of the previous Pro Controller cost on the Wii, as well as this new controller probably using 5-6 year old technology.

Of course, I think the Wii U is overpriced in general for the same reason.   :P:

The outrage over Bayonetta 2 along with this just proves that people think Nintendo isn't allowed to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

I meant to go into this controversy further in our recent Nintendo Free Radio Ep. 4.5 discussion of the Wii U launch conference, but we were running very short on time and it didn't seem necessary.  Suffice it to say that I don't think the outrage has much to do with an "OMG! Nintendo isn't allowed to have exclusives!" mentality, so much as 1 or both of 2 things:

1.  The original Bayonetta was a multi-platform game that appealed to a very vocal niche audience, and now its sequel is going exclusive to an entirely new platform that isn't an iteration of the previous platforms.  This kind of outrage isn't that uncommon, though, as it happened fairly frequently earlier this generation when certain previously-Sony-exclusive franchises went multi-platform.  I remember well the whining from Sony fans when Final Fantasy XIII and Devil May Cry 4 were announced they were headed to the 360 as well.  Heaven knows I've complained time and time again about Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 becoming exclusive to the PSP.  As like is not, we would have seen a similar (though perhaps not as vocal) reaction from the Bayonetta fans if Bayonetta 2 was announced as a 360 or PS3 exclusive.

2.  If the Wii U was a console that had a more attractive lineup of new and exclusive games, I don't think the reaction from that niche audience would have been nearly as virulent because most of those folks would probably be buying a Wii U anyway.  I think it speaks to a general lack of interest that the Wii U has that is more widespread than the pre-order numbers would indicate (many of which are probably Ebay scalpers, as happens every console launch).  As someone on my Twitter feed wrote: "Remember, the 3DS AND Vita sold-out their pre-order numbers, and look at how that worked out."

There.  Now hopefully THIS post won't need a Would Have Been Posted, If Not For Kairon tag.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:49:48 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
2.  If the Wii U was a console that had a more attractive lineup of new and exclusive games, I don't think the reaction from that niche audience would have been nearly as virulent because most of those folks would probably be buying a Wii U anyway.

Put like that I think it makes Bayonetta 2 look like a good first step to Nintendo reaching out because the people who aren't already planning to buy a Wii U are EXACTLY the audience they will need to work the hardest to grab the attention of.

There.  Now hopefully THIS post won't need a Would Have Been Posted, If Not For Kairon tag.   ;)

T-T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
If they weren't complaining before (when Sony & MS where charging the same amount for years now), but are complain now (that Nintendo is doing the same), I CAN"T WAIT till everyone sees how much the uMote cost when they start selling those things stand-alone.

Who wants to start the guesstimate thread on that one?

Done.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Put like that I think it makes Bayonetta 2 look like a good first step to Nintendo reaching out because the people who aren't already planning to buy a Wii U are EXACTLY the audience they will need to work the hardest to grab the attention of.

I don't disagree, but it's going to take a series of "must-buy" 1st party games (which Nintendo currently doesn't have on Wii U) and more than one 3rd party exclusive like this to make it so.  And we can't have nonsense like we've seen from than in the latter years of the Wii, where they've refused to bring enticing games to certain territories when they have nothing else.  I don't care about Bayonetta 2, but this is a great "first step" towards re-establishing Nintendo as a core-friendly console manufacturer.  But until they do re-establish themselves, I can't blame people for being disappointed/pissed at Platinum Games.  I CAN, however, blame them for what they do with that disappointment (i.e. the death/suicide threats), which I did in NFR 4.5.

T-T

Would you have preferred Editing: Recommended, Except for Kairon;)   I wanted something that played on that old category.   :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:17:39 PM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
From what i've seen, Nintendo Land is one of those games that everyone loves once they get to play it. So that could be considered a must-buy first party game (and anyone who buys the Deluxe bundle will get it anyways).

People can't complain about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive, but they will anyways. I have seen people bitching about Final Fantasy being multiplatform and threatening to no longer buy Square Enix games if they weren't on a Sony system, and I wonder if these people realize that the first SIX mainline games in the series were on a Nintendo system.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
From what i've seen, Nintendo Land is one of those games that everyone loves once they get to play it. So that could be considered a must-buy first party game (and anyone who buys the Deluxe bundle will get it anyways).

Sorry, but any game that requires Nintendo to pull the "people aren't uninterested in this game! They just don't understand it!  You have to play this to understand it!" excuse card isn't worthy of being considered a system-seller. You should want that game regardless. It should speak for itself.  There's nothing in Nintendo's announced roster of titles that speaks to me, which is why I have no interest in buying a Wii U right now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:06:32 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
You could have said the same thing about Wii sports too.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
Yep, word of mouth was a big reason Wii Sports sold the Wii. A lot of people bought the system just for it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
What I'm wondering - all these people coming out now saying how Nintendo is ripping people off and saying that Sony and Microsoft were ripping people off as well... where were their posts (on any forum, it's not just here where people are claiming the price is a rip off) saying that Sony and Microsoft were ripping people off before this?

Or is it just because it's fashionable now to be negative about Nintendo that everyone's all "Oh, yeah - Nintendo's ripping you off.. ohandsonyandmicrosoftaretoo...."?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
What I'm wondering - all these people coming out now saying how Nintendo is ripping people off and saying that Sony and Microsoft were ripping people off as well... where were their posts (on any forum, it's not just here where people are claiming the price is a rip off) saying that Sony and Microsoft were ripping people off before this?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always thought that all controllers are overpriced. Even the Wiimote, which I never bought separately, I got all mine from bundles (and one was a gift). I also felt the GameCube's controllers were overpriced, even though they were only $5 more than N64 controllers.

I don't recall if I ever posted about it, though.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
People pay - without whining - the same price for the PS3 controller, which has very little difference to the DualShock on the PS1, which is about twelve years old.  The only reason it's considered a "premium" price here is because it's a Nintendo console.  The outrage over Bayonetta 2 along with this just proves that people think Nintendo isn't allowed to compete with Sony or Microsoft.
I can consistently get a PS3 controller for $40 or less in many places outside of Gamestop.  I've seen the 360 controller go for $30.  I'm guessing it'll be awhile before that is the case for the pro controller.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »
I just want to know if the thing has rumble. If so, then sure...I'll be okay with that price tag. If not, though...then that controller is a bit overpriced. I don't even care about "Sixaxis" control being in it either - just rumble will do.

And yeah, Louie, I've found PS3 controllers at my local Walmart for $40, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
You must be finding those on sale or stores willing to take a drastic loss as the average prices are much higher. Is Sony still screwing people by not including the charging cable with the DualShock 3? When I bought one last year, it didn't have one (which is ridiculous as you need one to charge the controller).

Offline DarthBrady

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Hmm.. I think I'll wait for Nintendo to wise up and add rumble to the controller. I have a feeling we'll see the same thing that happened with the PS3 and Dual-shock 3. Fans will complain, and they will add rumble back.

I will never understand why they decided to remove it in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nintendo beat every competitor to the vibrating controller feature with the rumble pack? Why is it that companies invent a new innovative feature that gains wide popularity, only to take it away with no stated logical reason?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Hmm.. I think I'll wait for Nintendo to wise up and add rumble to the controller. I have a feeling we'll see the same thing that happened with the PS3 and Dual-shock 3. Fans will complain, and they will add rumble back.

I will never understand why they decided to remove it in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nintendo beat every competitor to the vibrating controller feature with the rumble pack? Why is it that companies invent a new innovative feature that gains wide popularity, only to take it away with no stated logical reason?

Rumble is already confirmed for the controller.

Offline DarthBrady

• View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
Is Sony still screwing people by not including the charging cable with the DualShock 3? When I bought one last year, it didn't have one (which is ridiculous as you need one to charge the controller).

Yes. It's just like when I bought the PS3 MGS4 bundle. An HD console that included an HDMI port but no cable to use it. I was so mad, I live in a rural area. I drove 40 miles to buy a PS3, 40 miles home to hook it up, and 40 miles BACK to the store to buy an HDMI cable, and 40 miles back home to finally play. That was an annoying day.

I bought a dualshock 3 when they released, and it came with a charge cable. It may have only been a few inches long, but it was better than nothing! Years later that controller needed replacement. So i bought a new one - it did not come with a charge cable either. That's pretty shady business.

Offline DarthBrady

• View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Rumble is already confirmed for the controller.

Thanks for clearing that up - the earlier comments had me misinformed. Yeah Nintendo! That actually makes me happy, I have been curious about the Pro Controller, the analog sticks above the buttons on both sides of the controller - to me seem like it may fit nicely.

Has anyone with NWR had their hands on one? If so, - their thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:42:27 PM by DarthBrady »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Has anyone with NWR had their hands on one? If so, - their thoughts?

If you've used an Xbox 360 controller, it feels a lot like that, except it's much lighter. I had no real complaints in my short time with it, other than having a bit of trouble adjusting to the flipped position of the right stick and buttons.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent