Author Topic: Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 on eShop  (Read 5810 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 on eShop
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:01:46 AM »

Two big-name 3DS games could be digital downloads soon.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/31593

A look into the European CDN server where Nintendo hosts their downloadable eShop titles hints at some interesting uploads, the data files for Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. 

The discovery was made by an avid server scout who posts the specifics here.
The files for Super Mario 3D Land were uploaded to the server on August 21, while Mario Kart 7 was added on August 30, though neither have been confirmed for an eShop release at this stage.

Judging by the evidence on hand it seems that these two titles will be made available for digital download at some point in the near future, with perhaps older titles coming later. Of course, we have no word on pricing at this stage, or if regions outside Europe will have this service made available.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 on eShop
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »
I'm dumb enough to buy these games again this way to have available at all times on my 3DS. I wonder if the saves would transfer, since they seem to be saving at least part of it to the SD card.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D Land, Mario 3D Kart on eShop
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »
I'm almost completely done with my playthrough of Super Mario 3D Land, so I can easily resist that one, but... I never bought Mario Kart 7...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
I'm dumb enough to buy these games again this way to have available at all times on my 3DS. I wonder if the saves would transfer, since they seem to be saving at least part of it to the SD card.

If I was Nintendo and therefore more evil, I'd make it create a new save file to punish you when you inevitably trade the physical game in.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Aero

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure the SD card data is just for streetpass stuff and not actual game save data. Just like how Theatrhythm stores all its dark note save data to the SD card but all other save data is on the cart.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
I'm tempted to buy these, simply because of all the time I spend swapping carts at events where I get a ton of StreetPasses.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
So happy to see more games coming digitally though I own both of these. I'd be tempted to rebuy Mario Kart but I think the save game thing will get me to resist....

I want Theatrhythm soooo badly digitally, but based on Square's track record for this, it will never happen. None of their retail games are available digitally on the PS3 for example. :(
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
I wonder if the saves would transfer, since they seem to be saving at least part of it to the SD card.
I actually asked a Nintendo PR rep this during an interview at E3, and he couldn't fathom why I would want to buy a game twice. So I doubt Nintendo has put much thought into transferring save data between retail and digital titles.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
MK7 is one of those ubiquitous games like Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and Picross 3D that I want on my system constantly because I go back to them for years.  If the saves actually do transfer over, I will be trading in my cart and rebuying this in digital form.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
MK7 is one of those ubiquitous games like Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and Picross 3D that I want on my system constantly because I go back to them for years.  If the saves actually do transfer over, I will be trading in my cart and rebuying this in digital form.

Gah! You just sold me on it!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
I actually asked a Nintendo PR rep this during an interview at E3, and he couldn't fathom why I would want to buy a game twice. So I doubt Nintendo has put much thought into transferring save data between retail and digital titles.
That was a really sad moment. I really hope they figure something out for dealing with this soon.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
My experiences with both versions of NSMB2 seem to show that save files certainly don't transfer over and the Street Pass data only works on the first copy you open.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
I would buy them, I don't currently own either and I love that NSMB 2 is sitting on my 3DS at all times.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
I actually asked a Nintendo PR rep this during an interview at E3, and he couldn't fathom why I would want to buy a game twice.
This can't be right. With how many times Nintendo re-release their games, do they honestly think it's totally new people buying them?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
But that is on different systems, the number of people who would buy the same game twice on the same system is minuscule.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
Probably true, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to allow save transfers, and you'd think Nintendo would want to encourage people paying them twice for the same game even if it's not that common.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
I know part of the reasoning behind my NSMB experiments was the hope that they would re-release 3D Land this way and I wouldn't have to switch out the cartridge every time I streetpassed 3 people.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
For those of you wondering if the save data will transfer, here's how to find the answer:

Does the card release of NSMB2 either save game data to the SD card, or allow you to transfer your game card's save data to it?

I have the downloaded version myself, so I can't say for certain... but I'm guessing it doesn't. How ever NSMB2 works, is how we should expect other download games to work as well.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Probably true, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to allow save transfers, and you'd think Nintendo would want to encourage people paying them twice for the same game even if it's not that common.

True, they would benefit from people paying twice... but they wouldn't be benefiting from encouraging second-hand sales, which is exactly what allowing save transfers would do since there'd be no reason not to just sell the game card afterwards.

StreetPass data saves to the SD card regardless, so if someone is really willing to re-buy the game just so they won't have to change cards for easy StreetPass accessibility, it would work to Nintendo's benefit not to support game save data transfer, because those people would always be able to use the downloaded copy to access their StreetPass data, but would still have to keep their original card if they wanted to keep their saved game.

Nintendo would be getting the double sale regardless, but only if they let the save data transfer would they be more likely to lose another new sale entirely by making it easier to find used copies resold.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:57:34 PM by Bman87301 »