Author Topic: New Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion Screens Revealed  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
New Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion Screens Revealed
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »

Check out some images showing off some of the game's awesome environments.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/screens/29721

Along with a press release that reconfirmed Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion is heading the 3DS this fall, Disney revealed some screens of the game. 

The new screens show off characters like Beast, Peter Pan, and Captain Hook. 

View the screens below to see Mickey in the new adventure.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
Re: New Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion Screens Revealed 
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
.....This is for the 3ds? Probly for the eshop..
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
The existence of this game completely passed me by. A cursory Google search tells me that DreamRift, of Henry Hatsworth fame, is making it. What a superb choice. Someone has likely made this comment already, but I wonder if they'll do anything unusual with the touch screen this time - it looks like something is going on down there in these images, but it is not clear.

Forget Epic Mickey 2. This is where it's at.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
SOLD!!!

.....This is for the 3ds? Probly for the eshop..
I wonder why you think that?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I wonder if they'll do anything unusual with the touch screen this time - it looks like something is going on down there in these images, but it is not clear.
On this week's Connectivity they mentioned that the touch screen is for drawing items into the world, like the cannon that is pictured in the screenshot. If you draw it well, it works well, if you don't, it explodes in your face or something. I don't recall the source that Connectivity had for this info.
From the screenshots I am guessing that the game requires you to "trace" the image on the bottom screen in order to "draw" it well.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm kind of unimpressed by the screenshots.  It looks like an SNES game, and the 3DS can push far more impressive 2D sprites than that (especially with the backing of Disney, one of the most financially successful companies in entertainment history).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
I'm kind of unimpressed by the screenshots.  It looks like an SNES game, and the 3DS can push far more impressive 2D sprites than that (especially with the backing of Disney, one of the most financially successful companies in entertainment history).
It's supposed to look like that. The game is a throwback to Castle of Illusion on Genesis. I think they're going for a retro chic look, like Mega Man 9.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Source is Nintendo Power, by the way. :D
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
Looking forward to how this will look like in 3D. Thinking about all that scrolling parallax with the depth effect makes me giddy.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
The graphics look good to me, although seeing how smooth the animation is will be what really determines if the style works or not.

This certainly could be an eShop title, at least based on everything we know about eShop limitations so far. I suspect that it'll be retail though - if only because they can charge more that way.  Is anyone else tired of the assumption that 2D games should be relegated to digital downloads though?

I look forward to hearing more about this title...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
Is anyone else tired of the assumption that 2D games should be relegated to digital downloads though?
Yeah, it is a shame, but at least most of them are still successful at the retail level so we shouldn't be seeing a shift to download-only any time soon. I think the main reason is, since 2D games tend to be relatively short, some people don't find enough value in paying retail prices for them. Digital platforms tend to be cheaper, so they could pay less for them there.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
I agree with everyone else that the graphics are subpar, after playing games like Mighty Switch Force  I just don't want to see lower quality graphics. Even Mutant Mudds which is 8 bit looks more stylized than this.

It could look like the sega genesis game on steroids

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
I saw enough that I'm going on media blackout until this comes out. Don't want any more to be spoiled.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
I couldn't be more happy with the way this game is turning out. These screens have made this a day one buy for me. As a fan of the older games i have found memories of finding a darker side to disney with the "illusion" games.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
Yeah. I did not expect this game to look like this. I'm a little bummed that it doesn't have the _dark_ aesthetic of Epic Mickey but I'm still excited to play it.

I wonder what the 3D effect will look like given the very flat style.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
I wonder what the 3D effect will look like given the very flat style.

If eShop games set any precedent, it will split the parallax layers, so that the foreground is perceptibly closer to the screen than background. Sprite-based graphics in 3D will never be as striking, but with effective layering, it would be a neat effect.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
I really like this art style, and between that and me being a huge Henry Hatsworth fan I'm very interested in this game, even though I'm not a big Disney fan.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
I was just kind of expecting a 3d platformer like the other consoles. If you're not going to stay true to the real games, why bother? 40 dollars for a pixelated sidescroller? At least Cave Story was cool.
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
I always thought the 16-bit Mickey games looked creepy with the way Mickey is always smiling. That's not quite as bad here, but the dead black eyes on pasty white make it worse.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:45 PM »
I don't really see anything wrong with a traditional 2-D sprite based game. In fact they are so rare that they interest me, especially when it is being developed by the Henry Hatsworth team. I have little doubt in motion the game will look great, and more importantly will likely be well made.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144