Author Topic: Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand?  (Read 20836 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Considering Wii U Rebrand?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
How about just "U"?  Drop the "Wii" part.  That suggests a continuation of the Wii naming convention while not being so associated with the Wii to turn off the core.

You can't trademark a letter.  Maybe "Nintendo U", but that doesn't come off well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
You can't trademark "U", that is why. I guess they could go with "Nintendo U", but I don't see that happening. I don't think including "Wii" in the name will be negative. The core base will buy the system based on the games, not the name. The only people who might have a problem are the mindless jocks who mainly play sports games and FPSs and tend to play while drunk/high.

BTW, I started typing this before broodwars published his post.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
Nintendo can't trademark an individual letter, but they could call the system "Yuu" and trademark that.

But I don't like that name much better than "Wii" to be honest. "Yuu" is just as stupid, although at least that isn't slang for penis or pee so I guess its not as bad.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
although at least that isn't slang for penis or pee so I guess its not as bad.

Neither is Wii. Don't say it is, the people who made that joke are the same people who laugh when someone says Uranus.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
Didn't think about the trademark thing.  You're right, that wouldn't work.

I don't think including "Wii" in the name will be negative. The core base will buy the system based on the games, not the name. The only people who might have a problem are the mindless jocks who mainly play sports games and FPSs and tend to play while drunk/high.

Was making the Gamecube look like a purple purse a good idea?  Sure you could say "well only idiots would be so superficial" but those idiots made a difference.  Nintendo has been fighting an uphill battle to get anyone other than children and casuals to take them seriously for over ten years.  Those little things count.  Don't give anyone an excuse to ignore a Nintendo system.  If there is a possibility of superficial people blowing the system off because its first impression suggests a casual system then it will happen.  It must be avoided.

And it isn't like Nintendo will just win everyone over with the games.  The Gamecube had some of the absolute best games on its generation and no one gave a ****.  They didn't care about Metroid Prime or Pikmin 2 or Wind Waker.  They just assumed it was same KIDTENDO system as the N64 and ignored it.  Marketing is what gets people to pay attention to your system.  Yes, smart people will know what the system offers and make an informed decision but most of the world are idiots.  Those idiots can sink a product with a specific audience over the dumbest superficial nonsense.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
Yuu

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
Ian, I agree that they made a mistake with having purple as the primary color (it was also launched in black, but most of the advertisements used the purple one), and giving it a handle added to the lunchbag jokes. I just don't think most people care about the name.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
Didn't think about the trademark thing.  You're right, that wouldn't work.

I don't think including "Wii" in the name will be negative. The core base will buy the system based on the games, not the name. The only people who might have a problem are the mindless jocks who mainly play sports games and FPSs and tend to play while drunk/high.

Was making the Gamecube look like a purple purse a good idea?  Sure you could say "well only idiots would be so superficial" but those idiots made a difference.  Nintendo has been fighting an uphill battle to get anyone other than children and casuals to take them seriously for over ten years.  Those little things count.  Don't give anyone an excuse to ignore a Nintendo system.  If there is a possibility of superficial people blowing the system off because its first impression suggests a casual system then it will happen.  It must be avoided.

And it isn't like Nintendo will just win everyone over with the games.  The Gamecube had some of the absolute best games on its generation and no one gave a ****.  They didn't care about Metroid Prime or Pikmin 2 or Wind Waker.  They just assumed it was same KIDTENDO system as the N64 and ignored it.  Marketing is what gets people to pay attention to your system.  Yes, smart people will know what the system offers and make an informed decision but most of the world are idiots.  Those idiots can sink a product with a specific audience over the dumbest superficial nonsense.

I agree 100%. While I may not like the name (whatever it ends up being) I will most likely buy the system regardless. But I am not everyone. There were a lot of people who didn't buy the Gamecube just because it looked like a purple lunchbox like you said, and I myself deliberately went out of my way to get the cooler looking Platinum model which is the one which should have been default anyway. There is nothing wrong with the color purple or liking it, but its not a neutral color which can appeal to everyone. It also doesn't match anyone's living room setup, unless that someone is Pee Wee Herman or something. Purple is fine as an optional color, but the only colors any console should ever have as its default are black, grey, white, or silver/platinum. Anything else is going to stand out and clash.

So if the WiiU's name doesn't bother you and you are going to buy it anyway why should you care? I'll tell you why. It matters to you because if a lot of people avoid the system because of it, even though its a superficial reason, that could be all that developers like Rockstar need not to give us GTA V and similar games. The superficial image consumers who would reject the WiiU based on its name are the exact same gamers who would be buying those M rated hardcore games.

That's why the name matters even though its superficial and even though all of us here can look past that. Many other consumers out there can't look past that, and without them on board there won't be enough people buying Rockstar games so we can kiss that goodbye.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »
Nintendo has been fighting an uphill battle to get anyone other than children and casuals to take them seriously for over ten years.

Well over ten years.  Since 1993.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
How about Nintendo rename the console "Wiitney Houston" in honor of the late singer?

I'm only kidding btw
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »
gamecube isn't even purple, its indigo. Ya'll are color blind.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post