Author Topic: Disney Epic Mickey 2 in the Works  (Read 4183 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Disney Epic Mickey 2 in the Works
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »

Several pieces of artwork suggest that the sequel is in the development process.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27614

A sequel to Disney Epic Mickey is in the works, indicated by details and several pieces of artwork found on a Disney online marketing survey.

The survey mentions that Epic Mickey 2 is being worked on for Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game will feature a two-player co-op mode where players control Mickey Mouse, with his paint and thinner mechanics from the first game, and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who will use electricity to fend off enemies, as well as fly like a helicopter.

The first Epic Mickey game on the Wii sold well, though it received mixed reviews, and several members of developer Junction Point were laid off as soon as the game was completed.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Epic Mickey 2 in the Works
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
My, someone's been reading the Rumors thread.  You're welcome, Pedro.   ;)

Incidentally, I really like the look of that 3rd image from the lineup.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:02:57 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Flipster

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:34:14 PM »
Interesting but I would have much preferred that DuckTales game that one of the developers of Epic Mickey said they wanted to do but Disney did not seem to.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
I certainly hope they spend some time developing a decent camera system this time around. The camera problems in the last one really ruined the game for me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
Interesting but I would have much preferred that DuckTales game that one of the developers of Epic Mickey said they wanted to do but Disney did not seem to.

Sadly, as much as we'd all like to see Warren Spector take a shot at a DuckTales game, that franchise is dead (along with the rest of the Disney Afternoon).  If Disney can't even care enough about that franchise to release the last DVD set of the TV series or even re-release the old NES DuckTales games on the digital download services, they're not going to commission a DuckTales game.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:21 PM »
Maybe the game won't be a colossal disappointment this time around.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
They will when Ducktales shows up in the next Kingdom Hearts game and reminds everyone how awesome it is. /wishful thinking

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
They will when Ducktales shows up in the next Kingdom Hearts game and reminds everyone how awesome it is. /wishful thinking

Yeah, that would indeed be nice.  I'd like to see a world based on Disney's Zorro TV series as well, though that's certainly never going to happen.  I get the feeling, though, it'll be quite a few Kingdom Hearts games before they use up enough Disney movie franchises to resort to using their many TV ones (especially now that Pixar's not going anywhere).  But hey, worlds based on the Disney Afternoon franchises would be awesome.

You know, of course, what the solution to our problems is: we need to push Disney to appoint Warren Spector as director of Kingdom Hearts 3.   :P: :  I'm sure we have plenty of time to make that happen before the game's 2025 release date.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:47:01 PM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »
Huey, Dewey, and Louie were already in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:45 PM »
Huey, Dewey, and Louie were already in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

Yes, and those three were well-known characters before and after DuckTales.  They were in quite a few Donald Duck cartoons, their own 90s cartoon series ("Quack Pack", was it?), and probably several "House of the Mouse" cartoon shorts in the 2000s.

By the same token, Chip and Dale have also appeared in the Kingdom Hearts games in minor roles, two characters that also had their starts in later Donald Duck cartoons.  Note, though, that I don't think we've seen Goofy's "son" Max from Goof Troop, any of the Darkwing Duck cast, or any of the TailSpin cast.  We didn't even get any of the Gummy Bears, despite having a ship named after them in the first two Kingdom Hearts games on PS2.

On the upside, though, we did get Scrooge in Birth By Sleep, and although he existed in the comics for years before DuckTales I don't think he was ever in a cartoon before then.  DuckTales is the cartoon he is best known for, though there's also Mickey's Christmas Carol.  So I guess if Scrooge could appear in a minor role in Birth By Sleep, there's still hope.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:55:47 PM by broodwars »

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »
You know, I want to be happy about this.  And please, PLEASE tell me if I'm overreacting.

BUT...

all I hear when I read news like this is: "Wii game was good. franchise will continue on PS3/60 ........

................................................... oh yea, gimped version also headed to Wii.  probably... we are having our nephew build the game in his spare time so.... it'll probably be playable?  but do look for our fine products on PS3/60!!" *shiny grin*

~~~~~

Anyone else getting that vibe? Anyone else tired of getting it?

Believe me, I would LOVE to be wrong in these cases so please.... to quote The Usual Suspects convince me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
Sage, before you get all hot and bothered about the Wii losing another exclusive in an age where consoles don't have 3rd party exclusives, how about you wait until the game is actually announced?  This is merely a rumor right now, and nothing has been confirmed yet.  It would only make sense now that all 3 major consoles have motion control options for Disney to try to branch out and get as many sales as possible, assuming this game will actually exist.

Plus, there are aspects of this rumor that don't make sense.  For instance, why would Disney make a Wii version at all instead of putting it on the Wii U?  If the game is this early it'll be at least 1.5 years before it's finished and the Wii is dead when it comes to new games outside a couple of titles.  Nintendo (at least in NA) had their new favorite son 3DS shoot it in the back of the head earlier this year.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:01:28 AM by broodwars »

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
@broodwars

I agree.  The Wii U seems like the more logical choice.  So, in that case, we might truly see the same game released on all 3 platforms.

Keep in mind, it's not the exclusivity I care about.  It's the fact that when companies do multi-plat with Wii games, they tend to be ok letting the Wii version be developed by someone else entirely and with relatively little effort/attention.

That's not cool.

Especially in cases when it was Wii owners who made the series a success in the first place. That's what makes me so hot and bothered? frustrated.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Oh NO! A sequel! Disney sequels are always worse!!!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
Oh NO! A sequel! Disney sequels are always worse!!!

Eh, they're not all bad.  I have a soft spot for The Lion King 2, and Aladdin & The King of Thieves is a pretty decent movie.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
Does the idea of this sequel remind anyone else of the 16-bit era platformer sequels, using basically the same assets but add a character with slightly different abilities? Not that more time in the same world is necessarily bad... but it seems weird, given the big deal people seemed to make about Epic Mickey and then--Oh yeah, here's another one. Wii U controls could make it a whole new ballgame, though. We'll see.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
I'm very excited to see that this is happening.

I'm also super excited that I will get to play it in HD. I'll definitely be getting PS3 or 360 if the alternative is Wii.

What I really hope is that they move the dev to Wii 2 immediately.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
I enjoyed the game and then drifted away but I enjoyed it enough to buy the sequel but, I can't think of anything you really lose by going to the other consoles with this game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
I'm not really sure what they could do for a sequel, the whole story and concept doesn't lend itself to another go round. On that same token, it's a little too late to finally make the concepts in the first game actually good, as the dynamic missing from it can't really be added in a continual sequel as it wouldn't make contextual sense. Although, given how well Epic Mickey sold, they probably don't realize the game needs improvement.