Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars Wii Coming to North America  (Read 6937 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Super Mario All-Stars Wii Coming to North America
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:22 AM »

The anniversary pack is finally announced for North America, coming this December.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24363

The special anniversary edition Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition has finally been announced for the US and will be available on December 12 for $29.99. The contents are the same as the Japanese and European versions. 

The game contains the SNES release of Super Mario All-Stars playable on Wii, with Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros. 3, with support the Wii Remote, Classic Controller/Pro, and GameCube controller. In addition, the special box set includes a soundtrack CD featuring songs spanning Mario's 25 years of games, and a 32-page Super Mario History booklet. 

The set will be sold for a limited time while stocks last.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Super Mario All-Stars Wii Release Coming to North America
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
With a limited supply and those pieces of swag, it seems that this is this year's Metroid Prime Trilogy. Still a nice little buy though, especially at 30 bucks.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario All-Stars Wii Coming to North America
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
Even going by the theory that the Soundtrack CD is worth $15 (using the old logic we used to use to justify anime LE box prices), that set is still overpriced.  Still, I'll probably end up picking it up, since Nintendo seems reluctant to actually put All-Stars on the VC.  It's about time they announced the NA release, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
I can't believe it's not even the version with Super Mario World included.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
Is $30 dollars really a nice price? I mean, it's more than buying the 4 games individually on VC costs.  Seems if there is a "bundle" there should be a discount.

But yeah, I guess collectors and people that really desire the different graphic look get some added value.  Not for me though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »
No, but it comes with extra stuff -- if they sold the CD separately, it would probably be about half of the price of the bundle.  I really just want the history book.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Ya know what would have been the perfect bundle/price for this?

$40

Everything that is currently there, PLUS the SNES style classic controller.

Now that would be killer.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
...and as Jonny mentioned - Super Mario World as well.  That would have been great.

But while we're dreaming - we're only talking about a collection of ROMs, so why not have all of these in the collection:

Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island

Now THAT would have been something to get excited about.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
if they had SMW2 on there, then I would seriously consider this since I've never played it and having them all on disc would be convenient should my Wii take another crap.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
I am very happy that this will be available for purchase. I really hated the idea of this being a Club Nintendo exclusive. Yeah, 30 bucks might be steep for what it really is, but I would pay that over registering a gajillion games just to get the coins XD .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 02:29:10 PM »
Does it bother anyone else that SMW2 is basically not celebrated by Nintendo as part of Mario's 25 years? I'll grant them a free pass on other Mario titles, such as the smaller Game Boy games, the sports games, and the RPGs in the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series, but Yoshi's Island is a platformer and a landmark title. Not only does it have "Super Mario World 2" in the freakin' title, but it is essentially the Mario Bros. origin story.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
No.  SMW2 is not a Mario game, it's a Yoshi game, and SMW2 was only the US name.   It was simply called Super Mario: Yoshi Island in Japan.   Also, Wario Land was called Super Mario Land 3, but it really wasn't.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »
Figured that was the case with Yoshi's Island. Oh well.

I heard that the soundtrack CD is a compilation of one iconic track from each Super Mario platformer (Super Mario Bros. 2 USA included). With the sound effects included, the run time of the CD is a little over 25 minutes.

$30 is too much for me, even with the extras. Still, this is a collectors edition so I guess it makes sense.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
Is anyone else getting this just for the Sound Track?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »
No.  SMW2 is not a Mario game, it's a Yoshi game, and SMW2 was only the US name.   It was simply called Super Mario: Yoshi Island in Japan.   Also, Wario Land was called Super Mario Land 3, but it really wasn't.

I'd say it's more of a Mario game than Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario Bros. USA/Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. The only difference is that you rarely directly control Mario, but the same could be said for Super Mario Bros. 2 if you opt to play the whole game as Toad.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:51:33 PM by OneTwenty »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »
Is $30 dollars really a nice price? I mean, it's more than buying the 4 games individually on VC costs.  Seems if there is a "bundle" there should be a discount.
Does anyone really want the VC version of Super Mario Brothers 2 (Japan)? Don't you have to beat the game eight times in a row to get to the special stages?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
My only experience with this is the All-Stars version, but you only had to beat all eight worlds without warping to get to World 9 and then went to A-D after that.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
They changed it in Super Mario All-Stars, which is my point. In the original, you have to beat the game eight consecutive times to access the four special worlds, and since VC games are unchanged (with few small exceptions) then I'm pretty sure it's the same case with the VC game. And since the VC version has a save state and not a real save feature, you still have to beat the game eight times consecutively without getting a game over. So the All-Stars version is superior due to its decreased tedium.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
My general policy is to not rebuy games that I already own. So while this history book is probably cool (and possibly filled with stuff I already know?) and the CD is nice, it's still not enough for me to spend $30 on games I already own. [I have Super Mario All Stars for SNES, plus 1, 2 & 3 on NES.]

Is the CD orchestrated music or does it sound the same as in the game?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »
Is the CD orchestrated music or does it sound the same as in the game?

I think it's just a straight-from-game-audio collection. A bit of a shame since some other Nintendo CDs have some really cool remixes and rearrangements of music in their games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »
So while this history book is probably cool (and possibly filled with stuff I already know?)
I wonder if it's stuff we know. The press release says it has rare concept art and never-before-seen design sketches, which I wonder is true or if it's just hype. Though whatever it is will probably end up scanned and on the Internet on launch day, if the Japanese booklet isn't already.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
Is anyone else getting this just for the Sound Track?

After reading on another site that the sountrack is just 20 tracks and totals 26 minutes (with many of those tracks being no longer than 10 seconds), no. I am glad that the game was confirmed for North America and I will still get it, but I am disappointed by the soundtrack.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »
They changed it in Super Mario All-Stars, which is my point. In the original, you have to beat the game eight consecutive times to access the four special worlds, and since VC games are unchanged (with few small exceptions) then I'm pretty sure it's the same case with the VC game. And since the VC version has a save state and not a real save feature, you still have to beat the game eight times consecutively without getting a game over. So the All-Stars version is superior due to its decreased tedium.
No, not getting a game over is not a requirement of the FDS game.  Also, the FDS game stored your stars on disk like a real save.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »

But yeah, I guess collectors and people that really desire the different graphic look get some added value.  Not for me though.

Technically, this is a single Super NES ROM on the disc, which would cost $8 on Virtual Console. It comes down to whether you think the book and soundtrack are worth $20+. Not for me, but then I don't listen to game soundtracks and am not much of a collector.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »
Is it fair to value Super Mario All-Stars as $8 when it isn't available on the Virtual Console and never will be? You can't pay $8 and have the game playable on Wii.

No, not getting a game over is not a requirement of the FDS game.  Also, the FDS game stored your stars on disk like a real save.
Ah, I didn't realize it was a Famicom Disc System game. That makes a little more sense and is more feasible, but still tedious.