Author Topic: Do you have to be at the title screen to turn off your gc?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Do you have to be at the title screen to turn off your gc?
« on: February 26, 2003, 06:30:07 AM »
i remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it's wise to always turn off your gc from the title screen of whatever game you're playing.  i can't remember why, but i think it had something to do with the memory card.  up until recently, i had always done this, but i just got eternal darkness and i can't seem to find a way to get to the title screen once you're playing the game.  same with the zelda bonus disc.

does anyone know if it's a good idea to turn off your system from the title screen or if this is a bunch of hogwash?  thanks.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 06:35:27 AM »
It's wise to save your game before you turn it off, but you don't need to be at the title screen when you hit power.  You can turn off anytime (except DURING saving).  If you are switching games, however, it's wise to open the door with the power ON, so that the disc will spin down immediately.  If you open the door after turning it off, the disc continues to spin, and there is a very small chance of injury.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline EggyToast

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 06:35:57 AM »
It depends on the game.  A game like Super Smash Brothers Melee, that can create and save new data constantly, should be turned off at the title screen simply to make sure all of your data gets saved.  But if you're in, say, the Trophy lottery and don't get a trophy you like, you could quickly reset the 'cube and try again.  It doesn't hurt the game or the hardware at all.

Games like Zelda and ED and mario sunshine, which all save your game at a set place, are fine to reset/power off whenever.  

Really, any game is fine to power off whenever you want.  You'll simply lose the data since the last save point.  Some games save constantly, others save at set points.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 06:36:26 AM »
I think thats because if you just hit the button in the game it has no chance to save.

Edit: I was late, the better responses are above.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 08:30:56 AM »

If you open the door after turning it off, the disc continues to spin, and there is a very small chance of injury.

LOL    
LZ 2005

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 08:39:40 AM »
damn I could get hurt if i turned my gcn offf!!! would it get mad at me?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 09:15:21 AM »
you must know the GCN is a carnivore and can be fierce if approached from the wrong angle its thus advisory to wear protective padded gloves and a bulletproof vest when removing the disc in motion

theres this story of a boy who lost his left arm while he attempted to remove a moving GCN disc
LZ 2005

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 11:24:48 AM »
Animal Crossing penalizes you for not saving/quitting.  

Does it annoy anyone else when the analog-calibration is off (requiring a reset) and getting chastised by Resetii, anyway?

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 01:17:15 PM »
You can reset your calibration for the analog stick, the c-stick, and the l and r buttons without restarting. All yoou got to do is put them in whatever position then hold x y and start for 3 seconds..Its in your game manuals if your forget
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 01:53:12 PM »
Even easier way is to just unplug it and plug it back in, or in the case of the wavebird, just turn it off and on...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 05:59:39 PM »
That was kind of off topic....

Anyway, you are SUPOSED to open the disk cover before powering off, but it really doesn't matter unless you are not saving... or playing Animal Crossing as ShockingAlberto stated.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"