Author Topic: PS 4 games that feel like Nintendo franchise games  (Read 10019 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
PS 4 games that feel like Nintendo franchise games
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:25:43 AM »
Hey,

So I recently bought a PS4, and I am trying to find games that play or feel like Nintendo franchise I love.  I noticed right now there isn't any great Kart racing game for the PS4...and it started me thinking about Mario like platformers, Metroid style games, Zelda style games and what not. 

What makes this more challenging is that I really am trying to avoid mature rated games so I can play the games with anyone. 

Anybody have some suggestions?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PS 4 games that feel like Nintendo franchise games
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
Unfortunately, you really picked the wrong Sony platform for that sort of thing, at least right now. I'd really recommend a PS3 at the moment for those sort of things right now.

Still, as far as Metroid-style games go, I think there's a lot of Metroid in the level design of Bloodborne, which I was able to really get into despite not playing the previous Souls games. However, it is M-rated for good reason and you said you were trying to avoid M-rated experiences. Axiom Verge is another popular Metroid-style Indie game, though I didn't much care for it. I do, however, strongly recommend the Metroid/Castlevania-inspired Dust: An Elysian Tale. There's also the Strider remake, which I enjoyed despite a slow start.

When it comes to platformers, it's pretty barren on PS4 right now. LittleBigPlanet 3 is excellent and has the best SP campaign of the series, but it has a very different feel than Mario. The Last Tinker is decent and charming (and often on sale), but it's far from the most polished platformer. The Ratchet & Clank remake that's coming out in April, though, looks incredible and I'd recommend you pick that up once it releases. If you want to hate yourself, there's also Super Meat Boy, which some masochists out there really enjoy. Tearaway Unfolded best fits the platforming genre, but it's much more geared towards creation & exploration akin to a Zelda game. Tembo the Badass Elephant is nice, simple fun as well. Unravel is delightful and gorgeous (and surprisingly inexpensive), but it's a pretty rudimentary platformer.

As far as Zelda-style adventure games, I'd once again point to Bloodborne. However, if you want to dip into the PS2 games available on PS4, I have heard very good things about Dark Cloud 2 (I'm still trying to make my way through Dark Cloud 1, which is far from great). If you like your hacking and slashing on the cheesy, self-deprecating side, I'd proudly point to Atlus' The Deadly Tower of Monsters, a silly hack & slasher themed around "so bad it's good" B Movie Sci-Fi.

In any case, I hope I gave you some ideas of things to check out. Incidentally, if you want a fun Smash-esque competitive fighting party game, check out Towerfall: Ascension. Just be warned that it's local multiplayer only.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:35:26 AM »
Ratchet and Clank is something I am looking at.  Tower fall Ascension looks good.  I looked at the Strider remake and that is appealing.  The Deadly Tower of Monsters I would rather just play EDF which is on my list. 

You don't realize how hard it is to make memorable cartoon worlds and characters until you see it done poorly. I expected more games that would be interesting to me after 2 years.  I am also frustrated Marvel vs Capcom is not available anymore.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:39:49 AM »
If you want to play a worse version of Yoshi's Woolly World, you can try out Unravel.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:06:45 AM »
Tembo The Badass Elephant is made by GameFreak, and feels a lot like the Rambi levels in Donkey Kong Country.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Gotta be honest, agree with Broodwars here that the most "nintendo" games you'll find on PS4 are possibly some indies that ape the old NES style of gameplay.  I usually play games on PS4 when I need a departure from the standard Nintendo fare.  That said, I can provide a suggestion of my favorites that might have appeal to a Nintendo fan.

Rocket League is the most fun I've had playing a video game in a long, long time.  Like an arcade soccer  It's also available on Xbox One & PC, but the PS4 version has cross play with PC.

Flower & Journey are both well renowned games for PS4, originally on PS3 but run at a smoother framerate.  I'd wait to see if they catch on sale at some point.

Guacamelee! is a pretty neat action 2D brawler, definitely worth the pick-up if you haven't gotten it on another platform yet.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch is a quirky game - think of QWOP in a 3D space, and that's how you control the game, comes with a neat premise of being an octopus disguised as a human raising his family and doing remedial tasks.

Resogun is a 2D shooter constrained in a cylindral space, the goal is to shoot alien ships while saving humans from being lifted away & killed.  Can be addicting.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:23:30 PM »
Thanks guys, these suggestions are really great.

I am surprised that there isn't more games that fit this concept.  It seemed Sony was doing more stuff in the PS3 generation.  Oh well.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »
Thanks guys, these suggestions are really great.

I am surprised that there isn't more games that fit this concept.  It seemed Sony was doing more stuff in the PS3 generation.  Oh well.

Yeah, well...Sony's been slow on 1st Party PS4 games in general, and they very rarely market them. Hell, they just delayed Uncharted 4 for the 3rd time since it was announced. Lack of effort in 1st party software (especially with their obsession over VR now) is one of my major complaints with Sony this generation, especially after their 1st party PS3 software was so good.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:18 AM »
Also, go ahead and play Gravity Rush Remastered if you never played it on Vita. It's an actual good game.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
Well if you are into old school arcade games there is Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V, they are modern fighting games but you know have a deep legacy that does sort of intersect with Nintendo in a roundabout way.

Platformers are not really my thing so I don't even look for those so can't offer much help there. But I would recommend Knack, ignore the haters and give it a go it was a lot of fun. Not Nintendo levels of fun but damn near Sega levels which should be close enough.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
Knack gets a bad rap, but I enjoyed it well enough. Of course, it really helped to use the Knack Quest mobile app to get most of the gear parts beforehand, which you can't do now because the app's been discontinued.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
OK.  So I picked up Rocket League...which is possibly the best Sports Game I have played in years.

I picked up Guacamelee which is fun and interesting.

Finally I picked up the 2 free games from PS Plus.  I like the Space Shooter, but feel the level design is going to hurt my short game burst style of play.  Beating 5 missions in a row before unlocking a new episode seems like it will be 1) really hard.  2) Take a long time.  Which I really don't want to sit and play a game for 1-2 hours these days.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
You don't have to complete all the missions in Galak-Z in one sitting, you know. The game saves after every mission, and you can severely nerf the difficulty of that game by simply abusing the PS4's cloud saving ability to upload your save after every mission. If you die, you just have to download your cloud save back onto your PS4 to get right back to where you were.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 12:00:39 AM »
Broodwars thanks for the update.  I didn't know that.  Interesting.  I need to figure out how to set up the cloud game saves anyway, but I don't want to nerf the difficulty of the game, because I really like the game. 

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

Glad to hear you like Rocket League!  It was a PS+ game when it came out, but I would have gladly paid for it if not, it's that fun.

I will say that Broforce, despite its farcical nature, is probably one of the more "NES era" style games I've played in a long while on a Sony system.

Plays like a simple Contra game if it were easier, more varied characters to play as, and if you were able to chip away at the ground/walls like in Terraria.  I've played several hours since getting it, good fun.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:54:47 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »
I really like Broforce.  I just wish there wasn't so much pixelated blood.  It is actually a pretty dark game for something so simple. 

I guess I need to go and add all of you to my friends lists. 

Journey looks beautiful, but I just don't know how much is there.  It seems to be an exploration game, but it also seems to be just a get from point A to B...but the trailers don't seem to show any puzzles, combat, difficult platforming or anything.  It just seems like a visual experience.  I don't know if I really would be into that.

Flower I have watched the trailer of that game several times and have never understood what you are supposed to do. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 02:28:52 AM »
There's a recent PS4 game I've enjoyed that I think is somewhat Nintendo-like. It's called Klaus, and it's a pretty neat little puzzle platformer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
Probably not at all what you are looking for but I just saw an AVGN video where he played a game called Goat Simulator. It is on PS4 and looks to be a pretty fun little distraction if you are looking for a quick pick up and play type game.

I also downloaded this months free PS plus games and that Asteroids knock off was kind of fun for about five minutes but that girl telling you what to do every few seconds was too annoying I couldn't get into it. If there is a way to turn her off completely and just play the game I might be willing to give it a second chance.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
I really like Broforce.  I just wish there wasn't so much pixelated blood.  It is actually a pretty dark game for something so simple. 

I guess I need to go and add all of you to my friends lists. 

Journey looks beautiful, but I just don't know how much is there.  It seems to be an exploration game, but it also seems to be just a get from point A to B...but the trailers don't seem to show any puzzles, combat, difficult platforming or anything.  It just seems like a visual experience.  I don't know if I really would be into that.

Flower I have watched the trailer of that game several times and have never understood what you are supposed to do.

Journey and Flower are similar in that they are:

1) Made by the same developer, thatgamecompany.
2) Are a bit abstract, but with a similar goal as you stated of "going from point A to B". 
3) Are visually striking/appealing.
4) Have a great soundtrack.
5) Have a unique gameplay hook.  The differences are that in Flower, you play as a flower petal flowing through fields gathering other flower petals and consistently growing your trail from start to finish.  In Journey, you play a nameless character solving little platforms & puzzles, and there's multiplayer, but no way to communicate with those you encounter online. 

I bought Flower and definitely got my money's worth, personally.  Played Journey when it was offered for free on PS+ a ways back.  That said, I wouldn't blame you if you waited for a sale.  I think they're both $15 regular price.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
I decided to pick up Spelunky for PS4 because it looks like a fun and evil platformer...and I like the graphics.

Then I picked up some Cactus robot shooter game...because I like Smash TV type shooters.

I think I will delete Broforce.  As much as I like the game play, and it is fun, I just don't like the content.  Something about it feels off to me.  But that does bring up a PS Plus question.  If you delete a game that you downloaded on PS Plus after the month is over can you download it again or can you only download it during the month it is free?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 12:20:50 AM »
I decided to pick up Spelunky for PS4 because it looks like a fun and evil platformer...and I like the graphics.

Then I picked up some Cactus robot shooter game...because I like Smash TV type shooters.

I think I will delete Broforce.  As much as I like the game play, and it is fun, I just don't like the content.  Something about it feels off to me.  But that does bring up a PS Plus question.  If you delete a game that you downloaded on PS Plus after the month is over can you download it again or can you only download it during the month it is free?

As long as the game is on your library and you have PS Plus you can download it at any time.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »

As long as the game is on your library and you have PS Plus you can download it at any time.
Yep, you're able to redownload it as much as you want as long as you subscribe to PS plus.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 11:47:44 PM »
I have been playing alot of Uncharted (I bought the collection) and I must say this game series is fantastic.  For some reason it feels like a cross between Tomb Raider and the Zelda franchise.  There isn't much in free roaming exploration like Zelda.  But the self contained levels make you feel like you are exploring a world.  The shooting gun play is nothing like Zelda, but for some reason it still reminds me of the series.  Perhaps it is because this games production values are through the roof which is something I always expect from Zelda. 

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:17 AM »
I just tried the demo of Unravel, it was more frustrating than fun but it looked promising in the videos. If that game is anything like Yoshi's Woolly World it might have just sold me on that instead.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Unravel has a better story/character. YWW is the better pure platformer.