Author Topic: Fire Emblem Fates Shattering US Sales Records  (Read 8655 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Fire Emblem Fates Shattering US Sales Records
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »

Both versions doubled up Awakening's opening weekend.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41988/fire-emblem-fates-shattering-us-sales-records

After a single weekend of sales, a shocking number of people have chosen their fate.

Nintendo issued a press release this morning announcing that Fire Emblem Fates has sold more then 300,000 copies in its opening weekend, more than five times the previous record holder Fire Emblem Awakening. The Birthright version was the better selling of the two titles, though Conquest was noted to be "close behind".

The total, as with any Nintendo of America sales figure, includes physical and digital sales, but does not break out how many discounted downloads of the other version were sold, nor the sales for the sold out limited edition which includes all three titles.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ninferno

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Fates Shattering US Sales Records
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Really impressive numbers. Congrats to IS/Nintendo/Treehouse for the achievement. Currently on Conquest chapter 15, really liking it so far. Gameplay wise there are substantial improvements over the Awakening formula; the balance tweaks (classes, leveling up, skills, pair up & dual strikes) deserve high praise. The story is weak and the characters are bland though. Still, overall I like what I'm seeing so far, and it is a competent step-up from Awakening. Here's hoping the next installment (on home console, pretty please?) can move on from the Awakening/Fates engine and rise even higher.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
Censorship works, people.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline kokumaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
I would've bought the Special Edition, but I never had a chance. Maybe Nintendo will finally take this as a sign that this is a successful series for them, and finally reissue those Robin and Lucina amiibo... 😒

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
Since it's essentially two games, I think higher sales should be expected.  But even with that caveat, sounds like Fates is selling extremely well - congrats to the dev team on a well made game.

NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »
A good way to indicate how successful a new feature or change to a series is to observe the sales of the next game.  Tons of people may buy a game because of hype or word of mouth but that doesn't actually indicate if they liked it.   If they didn't like it then they'll probably not buy the follow up.  Obviously the ability to turn off permadeath went over really well not just because Awakening sold well but because clearly enough people liked it that they rushed out to buy the follow up the first weekend it was out.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »
I can attest to the truthfullness of this article.
I wanted the special edition and showed up to Walmart and Best Buy super early...sold out. Then I went and watched and read to try and decide with version to get.
I went to buy Birthright...Sold Out at Best Buy, and Walmart and GameStop
Then the next day I went to buy conquest Sold out at Best Buy and GameStop.
I downloaded the game.

Offline ghosthunter117

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
So, splitting the game game into two doubled the sales? Weird how that works.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
Awesome. There was a lot of criticism aimed at Nintendo when they first revealed this release format (much of it unfair imo), but it seems to have worked out for everyone involved. I'm nearing the end of Birthright and it's nice to know that I've still got a lot more Fire Emblem ahead of me after I finish it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
Well, it's good to see the franchise succeed, though I didn't buy any of the versions due to disgust over the release format (plus, I've barely touched Awakening and don't like using my 3DS in general). I just wish the final product was better in terms of the localization, as Treehouse seems increasingly incapable of handling serious subject matter. Hopefully, Revelations will be much better in that regard.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »
I guess the best way to double sales is to split the game in two. Like those bogus sales figures Nintendo gave about the combined Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS stuff.

Glad to see another Nintendo franchise selling well. Now all they have to do is make Metroid a dating sim with no difficulty...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:12:18 PM »
I can't believe some people still try to spout the BS that this was 1 game split into 2.  That is not the case. Both games are the same length as a normal Fire Emblem game. So with the bonus 3rd story, it's basically 2 1/2 games.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »
Except the first 8 chapters are exactly the same, so it's actually not. Also, reused assets, music, no gameplay differences outside of classes (and no benefit to owning both versions like Pokemon trading).

But yeah, also factoring in the completely optional DLC third path that still costs money is BS too.

Offline Circasurviver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »
I guess the best way to double sales is to split the game in two. Like those bogus sales figures Nintendo gave about the combined Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS stuff.

Glad to see another Nintendo franchise selling well. Now all they have to do is make Metroid a dating sim with no difficulty...
5 times the sales is more than double...

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
No Australia release... :'(
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
5 times the sales is more than double...
Why, yes! I am aware that Fire Emblem is now popular! I said I was glad it's doing well, didn't I?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
In case anyone's curious:
- Limited editions count as 1 for those who could get it
- Downloaded copies of the other version at a discount aren't included
- People who buy both at retail are at best, a rounding error

Basically, this is counting $40 and up purchases (retail or eShop).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
so buy one get one half price?
Made you look ****.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »
Ugh. Perfectly willing to buy the game if I can buy a Special Edition but since I think I missed that train I don't know if I can bring myself to settle for another purchase path. ESPECIALLY if I want to share the game with my brother.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »
Yeah, really I'd just like to buy one version, not one version with "oh, despite us giving you a choice here, you can only choose options B or C if you give us $20 each"). If the games were truly separate, I really wouldn't have an issue. That's how the Oracle games were. But the Oracle games didn't start out with you completing the same first dungeon and then asking you to pick an experience and charge you later for the one you didn't pick. The money-hooks bother me, since every time I play the game, the game will remind me that there's content I'm not allowed to play, even if I go with Birthright and Revelation as I had planned.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 04:30:23 AM »
I remember when Fire Emblem titles allowed you to choose a certain storyline path without having to pay for it. Those were the days.

And thanks for the clarification, Don.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
You get the other path for $20, right? Half off?  So, even if the two games are more like 1.5 games, aren't you only paying 1.5x the price?  Isn't that still a fair deal?  I'm missing something on this "splitting one game into two" stuff.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
You get the other path for $20, right? Half off?  So, even if the two games are more like 1.5 games, aren't you only paying 1.5x the price?  Isn't that still a fair deal?  I'm missing something on this "splitting one game into two" stuff.

You're not missing anything. These guys just like to whine and complain (although I also wish I could have purchased the special edition I tried for months and failed)

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
I'm glad to see the series doing well.  If the special edition is ever restocked, I plan to get it.

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
I remember when Fire Emblem titles allowed you to choose a certain storyline path without having to pay for it. Those were the days.

And thanks for the clarification, Don.

Which game(s) do this? I've only played Awakening and Fates, but I really like both of them and would love to go back and play some of the older ones